The whiss sound when car shifts.

Off-Topic Discussions
fictionaldaydream

The whiss sound when car shifts.

Post by fictionaldaydream »

I really don't know where to put this message, so I will just post it here. I was wondering what makes that whiss sound when you shift. I mean is it cars with turbo, supercharge or nos. Is it something to do with the wastegasket. Don't kill me if I am wrong. I really don't know much about engine and I would like to learn. So right now I would probably be a ricer. Sorry, hope someone can help me. <P>Also I was thinking about selling my mx-3 and getting a v6 one. I just want to know how better is the performance. I mean isn't easier to do the 2.5l engine from the gt probe to it. Hey isn't this the same engine as the mx-6. I mean I heard something like that.
marshmallow15

Re: The whiss sound when car shifts.

Post by marshmallow15 »

you'll hear a small whistle when the rpm and boost raises and that comes from the WASTEGATE....when pressure is released (when gas is depressed or clutch is pressed), the vacuum opens up the bov which releases compressed air when shifting (which is what a bov does) to help the turbo last longer...this compressed air is forced through the bov as it opens thus causing a swoosh. i can make the sound in real life....the high pitched one and super sequential version too! <P>some of my info may be wrong. this is to my knowledge.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

turbo= whoooosh<BR>supercharger= whiiiiiiiiiine<BR>nos= errrrrr KABOOM ;) <P>There is too much information posted on the KL engine swaps on this site. Use the search function. And yes the mx-6/probe GT share the same engine.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the whine is the turbo spooling, not the wastegate. the wastegate is what governs the amount of boost you run.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Post by Guest »

Anyone got any WAV files of turbo's spooling or BOV's? I think the BOV has one of the tightest sounds. Thanks
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG>turbo= whoooosh<BR>supercharger= whiiiiiiiiiine<BR>nos= errrrrr KABOOM ;) <P>There is too much information posted on the KL engine swaps on this site. Use the search function. And yes the mx-6/probe GT share the same engine.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now what would be the point of searching when his question was just answered as simply as you did? Dang give him a break.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
fictionaldaydream

Post by fictionaldaydream »

Thank you
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

If you wondered about the woosh sound, I believe that`s the dump-valve, not the wastegate, that makes that sound :)<P>Well, I might be wrong though, as my 1.8 v6 lacks a fan or two ;)<P>(now, twin-turbo mx3 should be fun me thinks) ;))<P>nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::

Return to “Off-Topic”