cold cluster problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
happyclown

cold cluster problem

Post by happyclown »

So the other day i was driving to school, first day this year that all windows were frosted over! got to pull out my new scrapper ;) so any way, i was drivin down the road about 30mph and all of a sudden the dash makes this noise like its gonna blow up! I stopped the car and it went away, but when i got going again it came back... to keep it short i found out that its the spedo needle going crazy. It vibrates like a basturd and jumps + and - 5 ish mph back and forth...

after a while it just goes away, didnt happen again that day, but then it did it this morning... Is this a common problem? do i have to replace my whole cluster guage thing?
1993 RS Teal
ProjekMX3
Supporting Member

Re: cold cluster problem

Post by ProjekMX3 »

I don't know if its a common problem or not but it happened with my first mx3. On cold days the needle would jump around like crazy. Good news is you won't have to replace the cluster. The way I fixed it was: If you look for the speedometer cable in the back there is grease around it. Not sure what causes this but when its cold it goes all crazy for some reason ....something to do with the grease. Anyway I just cleared a little of the old grease out and put in new grease. I used prothane grease the kind that comes with bushings. After I did that it never did it again.
92 GS, 210 psi per cylinder KL-101 Engine, Pacesetter Exhaust, Centerforce DF, CAI, Hi Flow Cat, Headers.
By Spring 06: Megasquirt and FPR
By Fall 06: KL-31 Heads with Interprep Cams
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

yeah, mine does that too. Usually on days when its about -10 or colder. I will hear kind of a wind-howling noise as if it's coming from behind the console or its a bad-sounding fan. After the car is warm, the noise goes away.

As well, I get the speedo jumpin-around as well if its a bit colder. Doing about 50kph it'll just sail up to about 120 or something. looks really funny :)
But, like the howling noise, that goes away after the car warms up.

One of those things I'm just too lazy to fix, so I deal with it :)
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Ya its just your cable. One of my brother's friend's Honda has the same problem except all the time. Its worse on cold days however.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”