trunk key

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
bout2001

trunk key

Post by bout2001 »

i am unable to open my trunk using my key. The key doesn't even fit in the hole. Is there another key for the trunk or is it the same one.
chameleon paint, g-force kit, black and blue vinyl interior
web site :http://pages.infinit.net/mx3/
tivo0131

Re: trunk key

Post by tivo0131 »

mine is the same one but it only opens when you turn it to the right
back alley

Post by back alley »

trunks not working with a key seems to be fairly common on the mx3. mine doesn't work either. :mad:
bout2001

Post by bout2001 »

thanks for the reply
chameleon paint, g-force kit, black and blue vinyl interior
web site :http://pages.infinit.net/mx3/
pizzamr2

Post by pizzamr2 »

Couldn't u get u'r trunk lock re-keyed???

Post by Guest »

mine won't open either because i don't have the master key.the master key has black rubber around it and is used to lock your glove ,trunk while its at the shop that way no one can steal your stuff.
spiral

Post by spiral »

it gets a bit stuck you just have to jiggle it and take the key out a little, and it will open. :roll:
94RS

Post by 94RS »

I had trouble opening my hatch with the key too. I found it was only the latch hook that hangs down and catchs on the bar in the lock assembly. I gave the latch hook a little tug with a pair of vice grips and now it hooks onto the bar and I can use the key to open it. The weight of the hatch can cause it to move slightly out of alignment, try moving the latch hook a bit to align it with the bar in the lock mechanism.
LiL-LaW

Post by LiL-LaW »

I haven't had a problem with my trunk lock but I know if your key isn't cut right it will open your doors but not your trunk, also try turing the key upside down, I know my key only works one way.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

The trunk key thing is a Candian thing I have found. Almost all MX-3 owners I know up here have the same problem, and have broken off their key, like me, many many times in the lock.<P>Shave the key hole and use some pins to hold the trunk closed, then you can just un-hook them and use the lever instead.<P>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

master keys? well, i guess that would explain why i can't open my glove box with my normal key, yet the spare does...thanks!
MX-Dan

Post by MX-Dan »

If you go to Mazda with your VIN#, they can make you a master key for less than $4
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

that always confused me.My bare key only works the driver door, but the black rubber key works the passenger door,motor and truck anyway to get one key for the whole car!!!
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

my rubber key does work the whole car
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

oK, HERES my story, i had 4 keys for my car and i got tired of that $#it, so basically i took off all the locks from the car, including hatch, passenger,driver and the glove box to the mazda dealer (GYRO in case your wondering) they made me 3 keys that works for all of them, both ways, and it cost me 45 bucks, but that was worthed.!<BR>And all the fellows that have 2 or more keys for your cars, either door might have been clogged, or someone tried to steal it or sometin like that, soo the previous owner has changed the keys. Do as i did, and just say da hell with da hassles, 50 bucks is worth it!<P>thats the best thing you can do,,<P>latez

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”