belts wont stop sqeaking! - tried everything! - help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mxprecidia

belts wont stop sqeaking! - tried everything! - help!

Post by mxprecidia »

i have a 95 1.6L dohc auto mx3...the belts will not stop squeaking...it is fine during the day...but at night when i have the headlights on, they dont shut up...like if im at a stop sign and im in drive and i have the brake on, they squeak...then i push the gas and they squeak louder and i have to turn off the headlights for a few seconds until they stop...then do the same at the next stop sign...i put on stp and belt dressing and ****...none of it stopped it, i tried tightening my belts...nothing works...i even got a new alternator and belt...still have the same problem...plus my engine shakes a lot when i have my headlights on...please help!!
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
DVH

Re: belts wont stop sqeaking! - tried everything! - help!

Post by DVH »

let me guess , you got the belts at a place other than a Mazda Dealer.........Believe me, they won't stop until you get mazda dealer to do it for ya, i agree they cost more, but hey, DO YOU WANT YOUR BELTS TO STOP THE SQEELING??? Get it done there and they will stop and if they squeek again, they adjust for free! its actually a pretty good deal :laugh:
Derek Van Horne MX-3.com Member # 33
94 MX-3 Silver Stone Metallic CAR is SOLD
Car Domain Web page MX-3
Car Domain Web page SRT-4
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

i think i figured it out...it is only when i use power like the headlights...then the engine starts shakin like hell, thats when they squeel...i figure the engine is shakin so bad that the pulley is shaking along with it so the belt is spinning on a shaking pulley ..therefore the pulley is getting pulled back with each shake, loosening the belt and causing it to squeak..did i explain that good enough? could that be the cause? what is that like engine problems or somethin?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
DVH

Post by DVH »

Originally posted by mxprecidia:
i think i figured it out...it is only when i use power like the headlights...then the engine starts shakin like hell, thats when they squeel...i figure the engine is shakin so bad that the pulley is shaking along with it so the belt is spinning on a shaking pulley ..therefore the pulley is getting pulled back with each shake, loosening the belt and causing it to squeak..did i explain that good enough? could that be the cause? what is that like engine problems or somethin?
nope, mine shakes too...lol...like a mutha fu*ka! hahah...a my squeeking is gone! (mines auto as well)
Car Domain Web page MX-3
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by mxprecidia:
I belive your problems are much more deeply rooted than just a belt. Personally speaking unless you have some experience with working on cars i would suggest you just take your car to a shop.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

now it sqeakes for a second while im driving when i let off the gas..like i got freakin turbo or somethin but only a nasty sound...
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

I would personally take the belts off and check to make sure you dont have a dragging pulley or accessory. Even though the alternator is new, it may have bad bearings.

Also check for grease, oil, or antifreeze on the belts. If so, find the cause, THEN replace the belt.

Is your underside splash pan in place? If not, water could be getting up there and adding to your grief.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
DVH

Post by DVH »

NOt to put you down bro, but , believe me.....I HAV EXPERIENCE IN THIS, MY BELTS SQUEEKED FOREVER, ASK THE TORONTO MX-3 GUYS...LOL!~ anyways, go to mazda, they will fix it! :eek:
Car Domain Web page MX-3
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

what do u mean by dragging pulley or accessory? thanks
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

the belts squeak when i start the car...the car shakes a alot when i put it in drive or reverse and i have the brakes on (idle)...and then even more when i have the headlights on...does any one elses car shake a lot and does this cuz ur belts to squeak? maybe i need a new engine mount or something?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
Kazik16

Post by Kazik16 »

i just signed up, and since nobody else has said it, have you tried tighening your belts? and also your adjustment screw mite be gone for some reason, i forgot to put mine in after i changed my waterpump (its behind everything) and i would tighten my belts, and then after a few days they would squeek again, i hated it, finally my friend pointed out that my adjustment screw was gone, and since then, my belts havn't squeeked
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kazik16
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."
-Vernon Sanders Law
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

yea thats not the problem i tightened the **** out of it but it still squeaks...u would think if u tighten it that much it wouldnt move but it does, i figure its cuz the engine is jumpin back every hundreth of a second or whatever loosening the belt every hundreth of a second..yes? no?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
hondah8er13

Post by hondah8er13 »

hey i have the same car.. and i have brand new tight belts, they still sqeak everytime i start it and everytime i put it into drive or reverse.. also the shaking was making me crazy so i found out it was my transmission mount and one of my motor mounts, well i ordered the mounts and i'm going to try to replace them tomorrow i will post how it goes.. also where is the adjust screw? thanx
Zoom-Zoom
pwrslideclyde

Post by pwrslideclyde »

I just joined today,
Have you thought of having the berrings looked at? That also might be the case, I hope (for your sake) it isn't because that could get a bit expencive.
"Drive 'til you Die"
hondah8er13

Post by hondah8er13 »

hey i changed my transmission mount.. it is like a whole different car! belts stopped sqeeking car stopped vibrating. just a thought for everybody else having this problem... changing out the mount was a breeze too! $75 bucks U.S.
Zoom-Zoom

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”