problem with sohc

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

problem with sohc

Post by nos92mx3 »

well my cars due for an oil change so i go to do while im driving up to the auto store to get some oil i start to smell burning oil so i thought it was the car ahead of me so i get my oil and go home. So i wait about a half hour for it to cool down and go outside to do the change and i open the oil cap to smell the burning oil again so i stick my finger in there and it comes out covered in oil. Whats wrong, with my car? The motor just hit 198,xxx should i get a new engine? Anyone have a Low mile 1.6 sohc for sale?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: problem with sohc

Post by Custommx3 »

The oil cap has oil in it, you stuck your finegr where the cams are.. in the vavle cover?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

so you opened up oil filler and stuck your finger in there? and it came out covered in oil, yes it would be, since oil is lubricating throughout your engine. Thats NORMAL, btw dont stick fingers when engine is on :laugh:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

when i open up the oil filler cap and stick my hand over it my hand gets covered in oil. and theres oil all over the base of my plugs not where the spark occurs but where the threads are.

<small>[ February 06, 2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: nos92mx3 ]</small>
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

I did some searching after calming down ....does this sound like it needs a new valve cover gasket?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

yah i find that its a pretty common problem. its definatly your valve cover gasket leaking, that would cause your plugs to have oil on them. and if your getting a burning oil smell it is probably time to change your oil. i would throw some rislone in there for a day or two then change the oil. or change the oil with some Slick 50 or something to prolong your engine life a little more. if you have 198K on it, it might just be time to change that engine up. my stock one started going out at 140K.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

yea ill proabably fix this little problem and then start looking for another sohc engine, anyone have one for sale?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

Damn those valve cover gaskets!...i changed mine twice going on its third time and i only had the car for 2 years...i use brake cleaner for that part that the oil leaks too(spark plug area)cleans up nicely and easy too...
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”