Mushy brakes and no stopping power.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Cybin

Mushy brakes and no stopping power.

Post by Cybin »

Okay heres the deal. I've replaced everything in my brake system but the power booster and still have the worst brakes ever. The pedal is super mushy and if I turn off the car and pump the brakes the pedal firms up. Have any of you had this problem? I know I could have air in the lines but I've bleed the brakes like a million times. If any of you could help me out that would be great. I'm thinking I might have a hose leak or worse the power booster might be bad.<P>Later.
jaydog5678

Re: Mushy brakes and no stopping power.

Post by jaydog5678 »

Bleed the master cylinder?
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

No, I've done all of that. My friends MX3 also has mushy brakes, so I'm wondering if all of yours does too? You might not notice it until your in another car. Also I'm not sure what it means when I turn off the car and pump the brakes the pedal firms up. Does any one elses car do that?
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

The last part you talk about is the brake advance, and everyones car should do that.<P>Maybe you should get some steel brake hoses.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

I'm not sure about that since most other cars don't do it to the extreme that my car does. My pedal moves like 2 inches and then when it firms up only like a 1/2 inch.<P>I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with their power booster or anything else i'm not aware of.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

every car with a power braking system SHOULD do that. In fact thats how installers check for proper pressure in the system.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

Naw man. I was in a 1999 mustang the other day and it's brakes didn't have that much play. Heck, my 1987 merkur xr4ti had much better brakes then the MX-3. I just can't believe that some one designed this car with these crappy brakes.<P>Later
Gkreator

Post by Gkreator »

I would replace the power booster if I were you. I don't consider my brakes mushy so that the power booster sounds like it could be bad. Might as well replace the hoses 1st if it's cheaper.
Dave Hyatt
94 Teal MX-3 RS 5 Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gkreator_inside (New Pics!)
BigBoi

Post by BigBoi »

I remember thinking that my brakes were not to good in my 93 rs, when i went from my truck to the mx. I thought it was the car.<P>I am in the process of putting the mazda back on the road again for the winter now and i just picked up two rotors for the front($22 CAD each) and a set of pads. but I am kinda used to the brakes on the 3000GT now that has 15" discs and 4 piston calipers!! so I expect the brakes to be a little soft!<P>Biutr I will have to wait and see!!<BR>Mike<p>[ November 23, 2002: Message edited by: BigBoi ]
BigBoi

Post by BigBoi »

I replaced my brakes, pads $14 a set, rotors $22ea, and calipers $43ea, caliper pin set $12<P>Well I have all new brakes now and they still seem mushy!!!<BR>mike
Ogimoj

Post by Ogimoj »

Well, if you´ve already bled the brake lines and the master cylinder, you might try the brake pedal adjustment procedure in the shop manual Page P-9 I think.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”