Protege LX Transmission

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
powerman_5000

Protege LX Transmission

Post by powerman_5000 »

I was wondering if the 90-94 Protege LX Transmission will bolt up with the stock DOHC motor? Will I have to have any other parts other than the clutch assembly and flywheel?
jaydog5678

Re: Protege LX Transmission

Post by jaydog5678 »

Why do you want the 90-94 Proto tranny? The 95LX tranny is externally the same, just has diff gear ratios.
Manach

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaydog5678:<BR><STRONG>Why do you want the 90-94 Proto tranny? The 95LX tranny is externally the same, just has diff gear ratios.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>95Lx tranny is for Z5-DE engine.. soooo, it suggests a different bellhousing.. I might be wrong there.<P>And the gear ratio are the same..<P>Maybe he wants a Protege Lx 90-94 tranny for the power it can withstand, or in preparation of a future swap.. Who would want a tranny doing nothing for a while..<P>But, I cannot give you the answer to your question. But I do know the Mx-3 can bolt to the Bp engine, but you need to change de Flywheel and Clutch.. Maybe the tranny bolt, but need to use the Mx-3 Flywheel and Clutch.. :) Hope that brings out something.
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

The reason I wanted to know if the 90-94 Protege LX transmission bolted up to the stock dohc mx-3 motor is because I plan on doing a motor swap(BPT) soon and plus I just burnt out my clutch and I figure it would be cheaper to get the whole transmission replaced instead of replacing just the clutch.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Ok, if you use the 90-94LX tranny, you need to swap out one of the bracket mounts on the drivers side from a Protege. The bottom one I believe. As far as the #1 and #2 mounts go, you can use the Mx-3's mounts and brackets. They're identical to the Protege's.<P>You may need to adjust the clutch slave cylinder so the clutch will disengage, or engage. The Proteges speedo gear is mechanicly driven vs the Mx-3's electroniclly one also. One from an Mx-6 may work. The bolt holes for the Protoge are diff too, so you won't be using a couple for the oil pan. IMO, I would hold off on the Protege tranny till you get the BPT. It would be cheaper.<P>And Manach, the 95LX IS the same as the 94MX except for the gear ratios. The ratios in the LX tranny are slightly taller, trust me, I had 2 of them on my 94.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you need the pro lx bracket for the side tranny mount(under battery tray). also, i'm not sure if you'll have issues with the jack-shaft as the pro and mx are different.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

HAHAHAHAAA Yea....RIGHT!!! It took me a month of moding n fighting to get that SOB bolted to my B6T & working!!!! I'm the first to do it & it WASN't that easy!!!!! If you are doing the BPT....WAIT to do the tranny! The B6 series blocks are about 1.5 inches shorter than the BP series blocks. The rear MX-3 tranny mount rubs on the crossmember under the firewall (but works), the front mount has to have 1 new hole drilled on the top left & the 2 bolt holes on the right slightly re-drilled. I'd suggest using the Protege tranny brackets w/ the MX-3 Motor mounts. I used my MX-3 tranny mounts cuz tha junkyard clownz kept on sending me tha wrong ones!!! Now for the REALLY fun part. Put your passenger side axle in and you'll see the bracket don't line up with Jack $hi! on the block. So use a bench grinder to grind down the right side of the finger loop on the bracket, grind the finger loop completely off. Drill a new hole for the bottom right hole, slot the top right hole on the left side of the original hole, then for the left bolt hole use a bolt & washer to clamp the left side of the bracket cuz there ain't no bracket over that hole due to the difference in block sizes. The clutch release slave cylinder line has to be re-bent to go under the front tranny bracket & bent lower to go under the top tranny bracket. Clutch play??? Yea RIGHT!!! Twich your toes off tha floor & it will start to engage (nice feature huh!!! :D ). Now If you wait till you do the BPT you won't have to drill the half shaft mounting bracket, plus things will line up MUCH better! Ohhhh yea, if the driver side drive shaft is so much as 1/2 an inch shorter than the factory MAZDA axle....it has a tendancy to rip tha Universal joint right out of the housing (hearing needle bearings flying is always a lovly sound! LOL). And yes it happened to me with a Autozone replacement axle! I ended up rebuilding the stock one I got from tha junkyard. It would be best for you to wait, but thats totally up to you! Now that I told ya how to do it it would only take ya a coulpe of days, a bench grinder, lots of hand tools, a drill press, & lots of patience.<P>Good Luck! Anything can be done given time & money! ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Manach

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaydog5678:<BR><STRONG>And Manach, the 95LX IS the same as the 94MX except for the gear ratios. The ratios in the LX tranny are slightly taller, trust me, I had 2 of them on my 94.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh.. oki..<P>Got my informations there : <A HREF="http://web2.airmail.net/emann/protegefaq/" TARGET=_blank>http://web2.airmail.net/emann/protegefaq/</A>
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

What is the speedo gear? Not familiar with that.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by powerman_5000:<BR><STRONG>What is the speedo gear? Not familiar with that.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>it's the gear that sits on the back of the tranny that gives a signal(electronic) or is connected to a cable to give you your mph/kph reading.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”