Electric MX3 Conversion

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Electric MX3 Conversion

Post by Ryan »

Taxes are WAY worse in Canada! We have an average of ~3.3 people per square kilometer. Argentina is apparently 14.

Think about it. We have a huge land mass, and no people. Who pays for the roads, not to mention the healthcare? We do.

You can fit 3.5 Argentina's in Canada by area, and you have 1.2x more people.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Wow... I knew Canada was much bigger than Argentina, but I didn't realize you had such a small population... :shock:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
NLRisingSun

Post by NLRisingSun »

Here in Holland we pay €1,62 for 1 liter gasoline so that is like

That is 2.12 American Dollar or 2.16 Canedian Dollar

Driving around happy with the 6 banger :lol: every week about €60 euro's gasoline to drive 300km..
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Gas is hovering around the $1.00/L mark right now. Its been up past $1.50 before. It used to be $0.65 when I started driving a whole three years ago :(

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I remember paying $0.42/L when I was a kid. Most I've ever paid is $1.39 for premium a couple of years ago.

I'm still doing lots of reading and finding a ton of really interesting stuff on the electric car forums. I found an article about a prototype car which was an A/C electric drivetrain with a small gasoline driven generator. On full electric the car had a range of about 150km, but with the gas generator running to recharge while driving, the car got 618mpg on the gas needed to power the generator. It required a lot of complex electronics to allow the generator to operate only when the batteries reached a certain discharge level, but a low tech variation of this kind of thing should be doable.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm curious exactly how inefficient ICE engines are... I mean, its calculable, isn't it?

energy contained in 50L, and how much work it can do with that fuel...

It would give us a benchmark :) because, sure, 630 MPG is impressive, but what is our carnot efficiency?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

"Most steel engines have a thermodynamic limit of 37%. Even when aided with turbochargers and stock efficiency aids, most engines retain an average efficiency of about 18%-20%.[11][12] Rocket engine efficiencies are better still, up to 70%, because they combust at very high temperatures and pressures and are able to have very high expansion ratios.[13]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_c ... efficiency

This is in line with what I know from Thermodynamics. 17% is the "General" case number I have been given in the past.

Now if you accept that there is a general range of thermodynamic efficiency that applies to all 4 cycle IC engines of basic design, comparing the distance driven per gallon of gasoline is a totally reasonable way of comparing one system to another. I.e...one car with a standard 2.5L 4 cycle IC engine getting 25mpg can be compared to another car with an electric drive system that is recharged by an onboard 4 cycle gas powered generator and never needs to be plugged into an external power source. The truth is though, that this type of car would still be driven almost exclusively in the city and recharged from a 110V electrical outlet except when longer highway drives require charging en route. Determining the efficiency of electric propulsion requires understanding of how that electricity was generated. That topic is a source of much debate in the world of alternative energy.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ryan wrote:Gas is hovering around the $1.00/L mark right now. Its been up past $1.50 before. It used to be $0.65 when I started driving a whole three years ago :(
Can't be possible to be that cheap? I remember when I was paying $0.50c/L when I started driving, like damn, 13 years ago. Most I paid was back in 2005, I was living in Mississauga then, I think there was a hurricane that drove high-octane to $1.45-$1.49c/L. It never broke the $1.50 mark, maybe it did, but I never saw it when I filled up.

I'll be 3 years in spring that I've had the Xterra. I could probably find my buisness expense receipts, but I'm pretty sure gas was around and over $1/L back then, when the economy was strong, people had jobs, I was making damn good money and I didn't care it took $60 to fill my truck.

We're sitting at $1.10-1.11c/L right now.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ethand

Post by ethand »

Ryan wrote:Taxes are WAY worse in Canada! We have an average of ~3.3 people per square kilometer. Argentina is apparently 14.

Think about it. We have a huge land mass, and no people. Who pays for the roads, not to mention the healthcare? We do.

You can fit 3.5 Argentina's in Canada by area, and you have 1.2x more people.
Dont even start the whole population density thing!!! One word: Australia. haha we have one of the biggest areas of all the countries in the world, and a very small population (approx 22mil), so our population density is 2.9 people/km².
My state is the biggest of all the states, and has one of the smallest populations, so my state's population density is .91 ppl/km² hahaha.... so we pay HEAPS of taxes... amoungst the highest in the world :(
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

EV are much cheaper then gas engines no seals go bad with electric motors not need for all the extra parts and is easier to fix to boot
no oil changes no tuneups ( pending on the battery it may take 5-25 years till they need to be changed ) and by then it would be cheaper and may be able to get an upgrade from 15-150+ now to 150-300+ maybe more
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

i am in the start of reading your worklog, and i need to say this right now ...

YOU SIR, ARE MY HERO ON THIS FORUM. THANK YOU
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

lol, just finished reading the whole topic... still this topic's owner is my hero.
because he took the chance and actually made my dream real.
As some here know, im from Portugal. Right now we are seen as the leading electric transportation developers in Europe, maybe in the world.
There is a portuguese company called Mobi-E that received a lot of pressure to install Street Chargers ( much like gas pumps ) and there are a few around Lisbon already.
Together with Nissan's engineers, they are at the end of the research to be able to produce a 10minute fast charger.
Since a few months now, our way of life is beeing changed by EV's. Shopping malls have EV's only parking spaces (next to pregnant spots, lol ) to encourage people into getting green.
My dream is to change my K8 mx3 into MX3 EV. Eventually i will be able to do it, there is only the question of when will i be able to pull it off.

:mrgreen:
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
ethand

Post by ethand »

An MX-3 EV would be great, but what interests me is what it was that caused the original poster to drop the project/drop posting about it. We never saw this guy on our Australian Eunos 30x forum (which most Aussie members on here are a part of), and because he's in my country, I reckon there might have been a significant setback here in getting this project going. Possibly just a lack of infrastructure here, but I fear it may have been something else, too... I just wish we could track them down again to find out!
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

and finally someone has the brain to think about this...

I WANT MY CAR CONVERTED TO EV RIGHT NOWWWWWWWWWWW

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.p ... 22478.html
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

oh man that is sweet!!! Now im sure the MX3 can survive the future when we run out of fossil fuels lol
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”