K8 Top Speed

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: K8 Top Speed

Post by Tollis »

L I've got a bone stock GS and I got it to 125mph yestaurday. Took a Long time. Of course I have 353k kms on the engine :p. I don't care If it blows I've got ZE in mind and it's not a DD
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
vtecthis

Post by vtecthis »

Lol my ze cuts out at 118 darn ecu :b
93 mx3 gs
KLze
Stage 3 clutch
9lb flywheel
Intake & exhaust
MX-3zoom

Re:

Post by MX-3zoom »

Custom_V6_Limited_SE wrote:
OutlaW wrote:Your K8 mx3 must be with some kind of problem.
Ive reached 146 mph without airstream's and that was not even the 5th gear cutoff.
It can do more, i dont do it because my hood is not air tight and it bounces a bit when i reach 115 mph ... but that day i was crazy :D
Umm, ya, 147mph on a stock K8 is bs. If you are crazy for doing 115mph once, I must be insane. I break 100mph five days a week every week and probably break 115 at least once a week. God knows what will happen next semester when I have my new setup :twisted:

I buried the needle to a buck fifty racing v8 tundra for two miles,which i won. no one has to believe me, but thats the honest to god truth was ab out a month ago. was me and my friend, about crapped our pants.

Mods at the time:stock K8, cheapo intake.
[What can you say, I have a fetish for 3's]
mikeetown wrote: Do what you want to do dude cause in the end, your mx-3 is all about you.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Someone make a video!
I believe it, and want to see it!
I would try it in my stock K8, but I literally want it to last forever.
However, one day soon, I'll make a video of my fast car's top speed, and again after putting in MX-6 gears.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
davmac

Post by davmac »

Stock MX-3 GS transmission at 7500 rpm in 5th gear is theoretically capable of 153 mph. That's just the math with standard tire and wheel size and the 5th gear and final gear ratios. I'm not taking into account the necessary hp to overcome wind resistance or any other real world barriers to reaching that speed.

So yeah - theoretically possible.

Really though 100+ mph is so dangerous to you, any passengers and anyone or anything on the road with you. These cars are becoming rarer by the day. I don't want their drivers to become rarer too. Be safe - these speeds are for the track only.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Post by SpatialTerror »

well ive hit 130mph in my gs with the klze. i still have the k8 trans. so it doesnt go any faster. it just topps out faster.
i got oversized tires. (the only reason i know that is cuz with 3 passengers the wheels rub on the struts.)
i think i could hit about 150 or mabye better pinned out.
but yea i dont wanna try it sence now my license is suspended for the 5th time. and i think im just gonna stick to drag strips and tracks from now on.
but yes. i say someone do a vid. i really wanna see it.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

A while ago, I was playing with a supercharged Nissan in my fast car, and when I was done, I glanced at the speedo as it was coming down. When I glanced at it, it was deccelerating past 135, so my guess is that I was doing about 140 on the standard tranny, and wheels.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MX3forlife3XM

Post by MX3forlife3XM »

my car doing 207kmh. i measured it with my gps so its not wrong. i have stock trannie and 1.8L with stock wheels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBRYFd2Vb8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its Not A Car Its A Lifestyle
93 Black GS, K&N Cold air intake, Coming soon KL-ZE
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

nice. i cant see ur rpms. what were you at?
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
MX3forlife3XM

Post by MX3forlife3XM »

oh god idk somewhere around 6500-7000 i was just like omg im going over 200
Its Not A Car Its A Lifestyle
93 Black GS, K&N Cold air intake, Coming soon KL-ZE
wreckedgs

Re:

Post by wreckedgs »

MazdaNoob123 wrote:remember tire size is a factor guys.
I drove from seattle to bellingham one day, and i reached 145 right at 7000.
To bad a week later the #6 rod went. Maybe it was the time i did 65-70 in second gear. 7800 rpm ftw
My k8 is stock except for the intake and exhaust and ive hit the 140 mark once...I have 17 inch rims but again I've only hit it once and I wont do it again bc the k8 scares me when its above 115 lol, my ZE tops somewhere after 150 lol but if i had to guess id say between 150 and 155, I personally beleive the k8 has the potential to top out up there but i doubt anyone will take the time to get it up there i also beleive that he may have hit 145 but it had to b on a down slope lol
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re:

Post by MrMazda92 »

Mooneggs wrote:I find it hard to believe a stock k8 with a stock mx-3 tranny will do 145 mph. MAKE A VIDEO AND PROVE IT - Get out on the interstate and hit 145mph... get off at the next exit... pull over... pop your hood and show us the K8... all in one clip - I would be very interested to see that.

The fastest I have ever dared to push my k8 is 125mph and it has 182k original miles... and I felt like I was going to blow it up.

The fastest I have ever been in my klze mx-3 (I have no rev limiter)was 154 mph (or close since our speedo stops at 150). I have a 626 tranny and the 5th gear ratio gives it a little more room to go than the mx-3's. But I was almost at 6500 rpm at that point. I had beat the evoviii I was racing so there was no point in going faster.

I have been to 152 mph one other time when I was racing an M3. Once again the other guy gave up so there was no need to push it :mrgreen:

I would say that I could probably get to 160 but then I would not push it past that... I would be afraid to test it now since my ze has about 100k on it... but I was going about 140 the other day....

Yeah I'm having a hard time buying it too... at least for a stock GS...

I've had mine up to exactly 120 before I coasted down... I think I could pull another 5 out of her, but at 157k miles... I'd rather not die.

Edit:

There are a TON of variables for these claims on all of our parts.

Slope
Equipment(OEM or not)
Mileage on the car
Weight of car, driver, anything in car
Tires
Wheel dimensions
Drafting(possibly?)
Many other things as well... so no arguing! =)
We all have 1 important thing in common, we love Mx3s.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

My best on my K8 with like 265,000kms was 205km/h. Fifth gear, giving it everything, but it just wouldn't go any faster.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

here's a pic of my K8, I've checked my speedo against numerous speed check radars(one bagged me a ticket...since when do they set up lazer traps by these..sheesh), my tires are 215/40/17...tiny bit smaller then stock, so you can subtract a klick or or 2.

Odometer is at 266,063km, motor was burning lots of oil..then again it still is.

I was going up a slight grade at the end and thats why I cut the test short as I don't want to know the cop would do for doing 115+ over the limit.

Edit- heres a comparison pic...my plugs were shot, idle was sporatic. This was all she had.

93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”