1.8 V6 - Engine Tuning

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: 1.8 V6 - Engine Tuning

Post by umcamara »

I think it may be that bodykit causing the power increase.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

I see you have time for jokes and you do not treat this topic with some respect! If USA was not done something before does not mean that it is not possible somewhere else! I have presented evidence, if you believe or not is your problem! There remains only to invite you guys in Romania to see the chip on the 1.8 V6 Mazda is possible and gives very good results!
Regards
Attention ...
I have a japanesse car and i dont hesitate to use it
V6 baby :P
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Have a sense of humour bud! If you're happy with your car that's great. I sure wish mine had more power...

If you know it to be true, don't worry what we think.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

Man,from what i`ve read here no one had tuned the 1.8 V6 with a chip,and i thought if i made it maybe i can help the others
Attention ...
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

It's just not a plug-and-play type of thing is all everybody was trying to say. I've done a tiny bit of reading up on this "unchip", and it seems that it is basically a technician custom programming your air/fuel ratios.

Now PLEASE get rid of that bodykit. And sorry for the jests. :wink:
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

This Unichip is basically exactly the same thing as the Dynojet Power Commander. I have one on my bike and it does make a huge difference.

It’s not a “Chip”. It’s a piggyback. It is used to “Idealize” the air/fuel ratio. The unit is installed inline between the engine harness and the ECU and intercepts the inputs from the engine sensors and tells the ECU to add or remove fuel at various RPM for any throttle position. So you install this thing and then take it to a dyno and tweak the fuel map by adding a little fuel here and pulling a little there.

The latest version of the Power Commander has an adjustable table which (I think) allows you to set the engine speed increments as small as 50 rpm. This allows you to really smooth out the power band and that’s the real value of this tool as opposed to adding power. Unless the stock fuel map is really out of whack and you’re losing significant power in stock form, you’re not really going to get much by tuning with this kind of tool. If you have a number of intake and exhaust mods you could expect to see the kind of gains that the OP is saying.

I actually think that it would be an excellent solution to the fuel efficiency problem. Because it tunes the car using the AFR you would always be using the ideal mass of fuel. It also has map switching, so you could have a performance map and a fuel efficiency map.

I’m guessing in Canada the unit would cost around $1000 and tuning would be a couple hundred. Probably cheaper in the states. I was also researching a similar product last year called MAP ECU. As the name suggests, this one uses Mean Absolute Pressure to replace the stock air flow meter and tune the fuel map. Same thing, roughly the same price.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

Before adding this UNICHIP i was racing my car with a BMW 1.8is 140hp + chip,exhaust and intake,at the end of the race he was in my front with lets say 1m .. after adding the UNICHIP now i have in his front like 3 cars!I race it with many cars and i won!So dont you think its better than before?I mean why you people tell me everytime is not possible what i have and IF i have it its nothing!I dont get it
Anyways ...
Attention ...
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think that 14hp gain is totally reasonable with this type of tuning tool if you have other modifications to the car that have an affect on the fuel requirement.

I think the name "Unichip" is a poor choice by the manufacturer. When we hear "chip" we think "scam". This is not a chip it's a little computer. I have the same kind of thing on my motorcycle and it made a huge difference in smoothing out the fuel curve. I just downloaded a stock map from another guy with a similar set up to my own but If I tuned it on a dyno I'd probably gain 5-10hp.

The big problem with it is the cost. The Unichip costs ~$750USD for a plug and play unit and there would be another ~$200-300 for dyno tuning. A custom unit for the MX-3 would probably be more. Not many people would pay that much for 14hp.

What did the whole thing cost you? I'm curious.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

$500 unichip + DYNO .. also DYNO is included when you go and buy the product from them,if you go by your own to test your car on DYNO it would cost you like $70 the DYNO!
So,different price here!I can send the unichip to States if someone interested :wink: low prices romania to u.s.
Attention ...
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

See that's a lot of money. I can get MegaSquirt for that price and totally eliminate my ECU and take total control of the tuning of the engine. It's a little more involved but the benefits are also greater.

Even the MAP ECU 1 is a bit too expensive for what you get.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

wytbishop wrote:The big problem with it is the cost. The Unichip costs ~$750USD for a plug and play unit and there would be another ~$200-300 for dyno tuning. A custom unit for the MX-3 would probably be more. Not many people would pay that much for 14hp.

What did the whole thing cost you? I'm curious.
You said something else about money!Anyway,tuning and hp means money,if you dont invest you have the same car like your neighbor!Thats the difference between a tuned car and a normal one!
Attention ...
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Lol so he actually has something FAR more advanced than just an ebay "power chip" or whatever.

I actually believe your results now. When we read chip, we think of some small thing soldered onto the ECU or something like that, not some sort of piggyback system for the ECU.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

HP definitely costs $$$, I just think that $500 should get you more than 14hp. Mind you, I suppose that the imporved fuel economy if you tuned it that way would offset the cost.

I see your point though about wanting to make your car special. Everyone here has spent more money than they should for the very same reason.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
the_kid

Post by the_kid »

RX8SE3P did you acctually put the chip from ebay on your car?Or do you really have a mazda mx3 v6?i dont understand you bro!Go buy the ebay stuffs if you think they will have the same results like i do!I really dont understand whats here,i think you guys are a bit jealous or something ... thats sad:(
wytbishop - to get extra hp to a non turbo engine you know it cost EXTRA money!So i think $500 for 14hp its great!Besides the unichip i have cold air intake and full "sport" exhaust(without racing headers)!
I will add soon LSD and possible NOS .. that should be enought for the moment!
I know you guys in States you just change the engine for more power,as i said,i invite you here to see how much money and work we do for our cars!
Respect
Attention ...
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

You can buy a ZE for that amount of money. I can't believe this is at 5 pages already.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”