SmoothMX3 - 93 MX3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: SmoothMX3 - 93 MX3 GS

Post by Mooneggs »

SmoothMX3 wrote:Image
is it just me or is this backwards? the little rubber piece should face the engine

oh and please don't use those springs... I had them on my car for a week - they are HORRIBLE! :x
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

yeah that is wrong.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

OH and by the way I am "the friend of mine" barry mentions...

READ THIS:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is what they did to my car: :o nice drop but super crappy ride!

These are the same springs on a buddy of mine's CRX: :shock:

sorry to hijack your worklog I just hate to see somebody waste time/money/etc on this...
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Wow... It actually lowered yours... lol
Mine just got higher. The problem was, The springs are way to stiff, they have no flex in them. I got in touch with a friend that I sold my weapon-r coilovers to, that came off of my zx2. He said he wasnt using them, so im gonna put those on. I know they'll work. I tottally screwwed up one of my rims today. I spray'd air craft remover on it, and it went threw all the paints in some places. It looks like total crap. I'm going to just get them all sand blasted. I cant find anyone that does the bead blasting. One man told me sand blasting will make them too rough, but ill keep looking around. I should have never even touched the rims.. lol
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Alright ... Here's an update.

I put the weapon-r coilovers on, that i sold to a friend quite a while back. It dropped my car and it looked wayyy awsome. But on another note, It bottomed out and felt like crap. I dont think coilovers are an option on this car. Im thinkin about gettin dropzone springs. anyone got acouple pics they can throw up of what your car looks like dropped with the dropzone springs? In 2 weeks my wife is going to get paid again and she's gonna let me buy em then.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

There are about a million posts on this site warning everybody NOT to get Dropzone springs. Consider yourself warned.

Why not spend the extra $100 and get a set of proper springs. After all, you're messing with your car's suspension, which is a very important safety related component. If it was something like door handles, or a spoiler I would say, "Go ahead and get the crappy ones."

I think your kids would thank you.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

SmoothMX3 wrote:Yeah... They are about the same size as what the dropzone coilovers would be. Also they are just as tall.. The spring rate may be different, but im just gonna try this out. As long as it works for the time being...
Once my wife lets me play with some money alittle, I'll end up upgrading to S/R struts.
I believe, all you guys need to use the zx2 struts is the top mounts right? no modifacation, right?
Good thing... I still got my zx2 in the back yard, so i already got the top mounts. when i had my zx2... I always wanted to get the s/r struts, but i kept putting it off. I wont put it off this time.
It's not the ZX-2 mounts that you need to use, it's the upper spring perches, that's it. The MX-3 mounts are absolutely fine, if they're not rusted to sh*%.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

There are about a million posts on this site warning everybody NOT to get Dropzone springs. Consider yourself warned.
Yes, you are right... But I don't really have much options here for the money i want to spend.
Why not spend the extra $100 and get a set of proper springs. After all, you're messing with your car's suspension, which is a very important safety related component. If it was something like door handles, or a spoiler I would say, "Go ahead and get the crappy ones."
The extra 100 dollars? ... And tell me what is an extra hundred dollars?
H&R springs are like right at 300 dollars... Progress springs are like right at 300 dollars... ground controls are like 270.. right?? I mean, I've looked up and down these forums dude, and its pretty much the same thing. everyone uses the same thing. zx2 struts and ground controls... 100 more then im wanting to spend is like 200 bucks.

enlighten me.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

umcamara wrote:
SmoothMX3 wrote:Yeah... They are about the same size as what the dropzone coilovers would be. Also they are just as tall.. The spring rate may be different, but im just gonna try this out. As long as it works for the time being...
Once my wife lets me play with some money alittle, I'll end up upgrading to S/R struts.
I believe, all you guys need to use the zx2 struts is the top mounts right? no modifacation, right?
Good thing... I still got my zx2 in the back yard, so i already got the top mounts. when i had my zx2... I always wanted to get the s/r struts, but i kept putting it off. I wont put it off this time.
It's not the ZX-2 mounts that you need to use, it's the upper spring perches, that's it. The MX-3 mounts are absolutely fine, if they're not rusted to sh*%.

oh.. lol.. I threw my zx2 top perch things away along time ago. my mx-3's are in perfect condition.. so if i decided to go with zx2 struts ill be fine?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

First of all. No, it's the ZX-2 spring perches that you'd need. Since you threw those away, you won't be fine. But...you'll still be kinda fine, cause all it takes is to enlarge the holes in your MX-3 spring perches by a few millimeters to make the ZX-2 struts fit, which is what I did.

Second...I'm assuming you live in the States. Well, it cost me $256.70 including taxes and shipping to have H&R springs shipped to Winnipeg, Canada. If you live in the states, the shipping would be considerably less, plus there'd be no border taxes and what-not. If you can't find decent springs for around the $200-$225 mark, you're not looking hard enough.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

But in order to use the H&R's... I have to use the zx2 struts, correct?
Also, If I can use them with the mx-3 struts, would it lower it where i want it. I want it to be just above the tires.
I got a pic im about to post up in a bit of what the car front looks like now, dropped. looks good but rides like crap.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Ok... Got to lookin around and I like the way the H&R's sit... It doesnt slam it.. But it's alittle above the tire. Im gonna search to see if you have to use H&R only on zx2 struts, or if you can use stock... Unless someone replies first??! lol
Anyways.. Guess I'll just put other things on hold and start saving.
Guess it's better to pay the price for something you want..
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

You can use the lowering springs with your stock struts, but they won't last very long. The stock struts are meant to be used in a certain compression range. When they're constantly compressd more than normal, by using shorter springs, they won't last as long. However, if they're still your original MX-3 struts, they probably won't last very much longer regardless.

One thing about the ZX-2 struts is that the shaft stroke is about a half inch shorter. Most people mistakenly interpret this as causing half inch more of a drop, which isn't true. It just allows the strut to be more in it's usable compression range when paired with shorter springs.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I know you guys see mx-3's all the time and most of them look pretty much stock. same thing everyday. I'm sorry, I love sharing pics of my car and im really just... Obsessed with it. (i spell that right?)
So here's acouple more for you to look at...

the rear end of our cars are to die for.

I really like this pic.. shows the rim pretty good.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Nothing wrong with nearly stock... I much prefer it to nearly ricey.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”