Going to the dyno tomorrow....update with bad pics 11/26 :(

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Pics of the damage

Post by cjthor »

What yall think...other than OUCH.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

looks painful
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Looking at the piston crowns I say it was running lean. Looking at the scuffed side skirts the piston to wall clearance is either wrong or the engine was oil starved. Any pics of the spark plugs and combustion chambers?
The only way you could scuff a side skirt that bad with proper oil and proper clearances would be to detinate the PISS out of it for really long periods of time!!!!

I've personally witnessed a BP engine SEVERELY detinated at 26psi on a Mitsu small 16G w/ talon side mount IC several times repeatedly (manual boost controller and driver that couldn't hear). After tearing down the engine many months later, with a cracked piston, the skirts had nearly zero scuffing.....NOTHING like what yours have! Hell the block was still honeable!

The Wiseco Piston's Diameter should be measured 1.300" below the bottom oil ring land. Then measure the cylinder bore diameter. Subtract the piston diameter from the cylinder bore diameter and you should have a minimum of .006" differance (.003" actual piston to wall clearance). The bore will NOT be the same for all B6 engines bored say .020" over. The pistons must be measured and then .006" added to the piston dia. This will give you the minimum correct bore dia. for the cylinders. The piston diameters do vary.

Looks like you'll need new pistons from what I can see in the pictures. Sometimes you can salvage the pistons by coating the skirts and crowns. I highly recommend Swaintech or Calico Coatings for these tasks. For example....if your bore is to large for the piston (oops you honed it to far, etc..within reason) you can have the skirts coated pretty thick and run a really tight piston to wall clearance with no damage and very little blow bye. The better practice is to set the piston to wall clearance and then have the skirts coated to bring the cleance down to within maybe a .001" of the cyl. wall.

Beware of what material your pistons are made from. Different materials have different thermal expansion rates, meaning not all pistons can run the same piston to wall clearance.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

could the scuffing be caused by the cams not being set right? toooooo rich causing cylinder wash?
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

cjthor wrote:could the scuffing be caused by the cams not being set right? toooooo rich causing cylinder wash?
i dont think thats cylinder wash, not at all. definatly too lean. the cams not being timed rite could cause it to not get the fuel when it was needed. it almost looks like the cylinder could have not been bored rite. but dont know that unless we actually see it. is the block still useable?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i'd say no more help from corksport :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Mnemonic wrote:i'd say no more help from corksport :)
Im kinda stuck...the engine is warrantied by them...
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Can you get a pic of the block? Specifically the cylinder that piston came out of? Maybe even a pic of the combustion chamber(s) of the head? With that much scuffing on the skirt.. I'd have to really wonder if the cylinder wall didnt take some heavy damage too.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

cjthor wrote:could the scuffing be caused by the cams not being set right? toooooo rich causing cylinder wash?
many people blow or damage their built motors well under the limits it was built to handle because of driving it untuned or tuned wrong. running to rich can wash the oil off the cylinder walls causing excessive wear to the pistons, piston rings and cylinder walls. excessive heat at the ringlands and circulating microscopic shards of metal from cylinder walls is no bueno either. while this stuff may not immediately cause your motor to fail, the damage is already done before you brought your car to the dyno.

the built and unbuilt motors that last are ones that are broken in properly and tuned properly immediately following proper break in. if it is possible, dont drive your car if its not tuned, any driving on unproperly tuned or untuned fuel and timing maps causes damage even before it shows.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Steeb wrote:
many people blow or damage their built motors well under the limits it was built to handle because of driving it untuned or tuned wrong. running to rich can wash the oil off the cylinder walls causing excessive wear to the pistons, piston rings and cylinder walls. excessive heat at the ringlands and circulating microscopic shards of metal from cylinder walls is no bueno either. while this stuff may not immediately cause your motor to fail, the damage is already done before you brought your car to the dyno.

the built and unbuilt motors that last are ones that are broken in properly and tuned properly immediately following proper break in. if it is possible, dont drive your car if its not tuned, any driving on unproperly tuned or untuned fuel and timing maps causes damage even before it shows.
Corksport built the motor, corksport improperly set the cams. I broke it in following their guidelines. 3k on the motor all varying RPM and not going into boost until 2k miles...even then i barely touched 5lbs.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

driving it untuned for 3000 miles is still driving it untuned. while many people use that same break in method not every motor will handle it the same way. to add in that your cams were improperly degreed does not help a/f ratio, egt's, or cylinder temps for the 3000 miles that you drove like a grandma. i agree with corksports break in instructions except the 2000 miles part. if a motor is built properly it doesnt need more than maybe a quick drive to fully warm up the motor and drive it around the block then immediately do a couple of oil changes to flush out anything that may be in there.

i have had friends do the same as you and i have also had friends tow their completed car to the dyno to tune and break in the motor on the actual dyno while tuning.

a very well known tuner shop down here in so cal that my friend work at have tuned hundreds of cars and recommend this proceedure.
1. start up the motor rev it up and around varying rpms
2. immediately change oil and filter
3. drive around the block
4. immediately change oil and filter
5. drive around the block
6. immediately change oil and filter
7 dyno tune.
8. charge customer 450-550/hr for tuning and 200 for motor break in.

very unfortunate that corksport is having bad luck but at least its not your fault. hopefully they will do better next time...
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

If they charge that for tuning they are RAPING the customers!!!! You don't need to change the oil that much either!

If an engine is properly cleaned, lubed, & assembled correctly with ALL the clearances properly set you only need to start it and let it run for maybe 20-30min. then change the oil & filter. Initial start up is where you want to do some tuning to get the car to idle at a decent a/f as well to prevent washing the cylinders and excessivly wearing the rings, bearing, etc...

The next thing you want to do is some base line street tuning or dyno tuning at moderate throttle and rpm ranges. The best way to get the rings and bearings to seat is to moderately accelerate to about 30-50mph and then just quickly let off the throttle allowing the car to engine brake back down to about 15mph lower than what you accelerated to. This loads both the bearings and rings but allows cooling between load changes when done moderately. After doing this a few time and driving the car for about 30min you can change the oil again, filter if you really want to (if your getting large debree at this point your screwed anyway). Drive the car moderately avoiding high speeds if possible for a day or two.

Now the engine is mostly broke in and you can run it pretty hard but not for long durations of time (a drag stip pass would be a good referance of the longest run you want to make a hard run) Most rebuilds should be run about 500 miles like this before running it hard for long periods of time. The reason is becuase most engines are not running opened up clearances like most full race engine and require a little more time for the parts to wear to and equalized state. The larger the clearances are opend up from stock, the short the breakin period required because the engines internals will wear next to none while breaking it in even on initial startup up if properly assembled. The longer you run the engine the hotter the parts get. The hotter the parts get the more they expand...expansion rate depends on material parts are made from. The more they expand the more they wear causing more heat and more expansion. This is why initial breakin is critical to an engines overall life.

As Steeb metioned before and I also can not stress enough.....initial tuning is absolutely critical as soon as the engine fires even for the first time!
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

jwm, the shop prices i listed is not a shop that many can afford. only the top cars go there scca and nasa race cars etc. the reason its so expensive is because they have the experience and the knowledge in complete chassis and engine tuning. ive been asked not to mention the name of the shop by my buddy cuz he prefers too remain only known to the locals at this time.

there are many shops that charge half of his prices but imo most shops are not even close to half as good.

jarid, it is even more crucial that you tune immediately after break in because you did not start with a bpt w/ecu that had maps for boost that would have been closer to "optimal" fuel and timing maps than the dohc n/a b6 that came in your mx3. even if you had the bpt i wouldnt run more than stock power levels cuz many oem tune will dump the same amount of fuel after a certain psi.

for example, the normal stock boost on my mr2 turbo is around 5-8psi but the ecu will tell the injectors to dump the same amount of fuel @ anything over 10psi. oem ecu is only optimal for oem settings, anything higher than stock boost on a stock turbo'd motor is not optimal even tho it will run for a long time.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Steeb wrote:
jarid, it is even more crucial that you tune immediately after break in because you did not start with a bpt w/ecu that had maps for boost that would have been closer to "optimal" fuel and timing maps than the dohc n/a b6 that came in your mx3. even if you had the bpt i wouldnt run more than stock power levels cuz many oem tune will dump the same amount of fuel after a certain psi.

for example, the normal stock boost on my mr2 turbo is around 5-8psi but the ecu will tell the injectors to dump the same amount of fuel @ anything over 10psi. oem ecu is only optimal for oem settings, anything higher than stock boost on a stock turbo'd motor is not optimal even tho it will run for a long time.
i should close this post until i get answers...you guys are helping but beating a dead horse. boils down to CORKSPORT said to drive the car at varying RPM for 3000 miles...THEY set my RRFPR and super AFC and said it was ok to run. THEY set the cams and THEY dyno tuned the car..THEY blew it up on the dyno..THEY are fixing it.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Amen :wink:

Return to “Forced Induction”