Avoiding a messy 'Frankenstien' Swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Re: Avoiding a messy 'Frankenstien' Swap

Post by mx3_ryder »

Daninski wrote:
mx3_ryder wrote:There's plenty of info floating around that indicates "all k-series" engines have there faults and failures as with all engines do in some sort.

Yes the ZE had weak retainers, but replace them with DE retainers and springs and be satisfied knowing in "stock" form, you have a ZE as reliable as a DE with better performance...
I'm Done with this thread..... :shrug:
Does that mean your taking your bat and ball and going home. :P

Leaving the ball, but i'm taking my bat with me... :lol:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mx3_ryder wrote:There's plenty of info floating around that indicates "all k-series" engines have there faults and failures as with all engines do in some sort.

Yes the ZE had weak retainers, but replace them with DE retainers and springs and be satisfied knowing in "stock" form, you have a ZE as reliable as a DE with better performance...
Do you know what it takes to "just swap retainers" on an engine?

Spend $900-1,200 on a "Real ZE", $100 more for DE/G4 retainers, and then $300 on a gasket set to put it all back together, assuming you have the tools and knowledge to do so.

Or spend $180-400 on a DE/G4, $300 on aftermarket cams, $40 on valvecover gaskets, $100-300 on a chipped ECU or MegaSquirt, and have money left over for whatever your heart desires...

You can wish it all you want, but it won't change the fact. Numbers don't lie.

Dollar for dollar invested, you can do more with a DE/G4 than an imported engine. That is with all things being equal, assuming your importer wasn't shady, and you received an otherwise "perfect" engine.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

This is getting nowhere. :roll:

I wouldn't sit here and praise ground control sleeves over KSport coilovers, just because that's the route that I chose with my build. :shrug: It works for my intended goals, and that's what I was shooting for. If I wanted to race regularly, I would shell out for KSports in a heartbeat.

The same goes for my brake setup, I could have saved money and gone with a true bolt-on kit that was equally or more effective. I chose to stay "All Mazda" in components, and go for the largest setup I could squeeze under 16" wheels.

At the end of the day though, I won't pull the "This is what I did, so I'm defending it blindly" card to try and prove a futile point.

You bought an imported ZE, great! I'm happy for you. That is one of the many choices available to MX-3 owners across the world. That doesn't make it the BEST choice. The end.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

[/quote]

Leaving the ball, but i'm taking my bat with me... :lol:[/quote]

I like this bit !!!! LOL
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

mx3_ryder wrote:
Daninski wrote:

Leaving the ball, but i'm taking my bat with me... :lol:
That's ok, your bat was a little small anyway. I gots one of those Louisville sluggers. :wink:

The merits of DE G4 vs KLZE are not what this thread was posted for, again he needs help working with the existing components he already has. The only problem I see so far is the K8 intake. If he uses the K8 180cc injectors with the ZE block I have no idea how that engine will run. Has anyone done this before and please if you haven't keep your opinions to yourself unless you can post a link to someone's post who has.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Daninski-

MrMazda92- Fact is I get horney over "every MX3" no matter whats in it
for an engine or displacement, American/Japanese, DE/G4/ZE/K8/BP/BPT and so on.
So I'd like to apologize for stirring all this nonsense up and flipping the original topic in the wrong direction.
Truth is we all share the same passion for the same car and would hate to see members just pass by my worklog and not check it out or
comment or leave constructive criticism because of some idiotic pointless argument that i should be having with a Honda guy (you know
Mazda vs. Honda) not a fellow MX3 member.
I still wouldn't disrespect a Honda enthusiast either cause that's just not me. Again I apologize and hope your up coming meet has a great
turn out. Chris,

NorCal- Search through kulluminati777's worklog in the link below.
You may find some helpful info from there towards the end of his log as he just went through the smog tests with his car or you could
contact him for some more help with this topic.
http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Last edited by mx3_ryder on June 15th, 2013, 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

mx3_ryder wrote:Daninski-

So I'd like to apologize for stirring all this nonsense up and flipping the original topic in the wrong direction.
Truth is we all share the same passion for the same car and would hate to see members just pass by my worklog and not check it out or
comment or leave constructive criticism because of some idiotic pointless argument that i should be having with a Honda guy (you know
I still wouldn't disrespect a Honda enthusiast either cause that's just not me. Again I apologize and hope your up coming meet has a great
turn out. Chris,

You may find some helpful info from there towards the end of his log as he just went through the smog tests with his car or you could
Let me guess, your 12 years old and haven't yet gone through puberty. You apologize then you rant on with more BS. STOP! Help with NorCalMX3 original concerns,,,if you even have any idea what they are.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
benyandthejets
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by benyandthejets »

Lol dan
93 Blaze Red GS
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Daninski wrote:
mx3_ryder wrote:Daninski-

turn out. Chris,

Let me guess, your 12 years old and haven't yet gone through puberty. You apologize then you rant on with more BS. STOP! Help with NorCalMX3 original concerns,,,if you even have any idea what they are.
The only 12 year old here buddy is the one who can't read and keeps contradicting themselves about keeping opinions to yourself and helping NorCalMX3. If you weren't just a little illiterate you'd notice that I posted info at the bottom of my post for NorCalMX3 and that I did contribute to his concerns before the "ZE/DE match." Let me guess, you didn't finish school.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK so now my name is Buddy,,,,Budinski,,, I like that. :D I get annoyed when posts go off on tangents that's for sure. I say lets move on and help this sunshine state member get his car inspected and on the road.

Just in case you decide to mix things up a little the intake HLAs, springs, and retainers are different between the two heads. The ZE ones are significantly larger. This being said, you can put DE springs and retainers to a ZE head, but not the other way around. In addition, you can not put DE HLAs in ZE heads (intake side) because they have room to float around quite a bit and damage can could occur.
If when the time comes if your emissions are still high decreasing the fuel pressure could help of course this would be dependent on weather an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (fpr) is legal in California. http://performancefuelsystems.com/Injec ... Corner.htm
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

Can I get in on this too?? You guys crack me up. :love2: :love2: :love2:
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”