SmoothMX3 - 93 MX3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
wytbishop

Re: SmoothMX3 - 93 MX3 GS

Post by wytbishop »

I didn't have DropZone replacement springs I had the coilovers which are lower (advertised up to 4" drop). On another note, the extreme drop springs and coilovers really shorten the life of your struts because they sit in the compressed position basically all the time. Mine were on relatively new KYB's and they were totally dead...they didn't even extend on their own when you compressed them anymore.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Well... In that case, Then my stock struts are bad then. When we had the shaft pulled almost as far as it would come out, It would just slowly slide back down. I may just rent the spring compressors again and try my best to get the stock springs back on until I can find what i want. I don't want my ride to feel like crap, But I don't want to pay out the yang either. I need to see a pic of zx2 fr struts (S/R struts), and whatever kinda spring on a mx-3. I want to know my options and see what they all look like. I want the height of my ride to basiclly be either tucking or almost tucking.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Hey guys... Anyone got a pic of the top of the strut mount. Like under the hood. There is a nipple rubber thing in the center.. i need to know which way it's facing?
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I believe they face towards the engine... the shop manual has that info as well...
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Alright... That still should'nt make no difference though... should it??
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

yes it will make a difference if you do not put the pieces of the strut tower mount your caster will be way off when they go to align it....
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Well, I meant as far as my car not dropping when i put the springs on.
Savin

Post by Savin »

Sorry bout the delay, I kinda fell asleep when i got home yesterday, lol

Rear Spring (driver's side) :

Front Spring (Driver's side) :

Top Strut Mounts (driver/passenger side) :
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

did you put the top spring plate in correctly as well? (it's beneath the strut mount) There should be a small hole you can see that looks down on where the strut bolts connect to the spindle.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

here is what my motor looks like.. kinda clean.. could use alittle more cleaning though

and someone said my passenger side headlight was real clouded up and could use some cleaning, here is what it looks like with the pollen wiped off alittle.. lol

Oh.. i got an idea.. I think im gonna use my zx2 stock struts.. with the coilovers i got.. since the zx2 struts have a lesser travel i think it will lower it then and work.. btw.. I think i put the strut and all back on right, i took pictures so you could see how i got it setup.. let me know. thanks
Savin

Post by Savin »

Those springs are crazy thin :shock: but as long as it works, right?
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Yeah... They are about the same size as what the dropzone coilovers would be. Also they are just as tall.. The spring rate may be different, but im just gonna try this out. As long as it works for the time being...
Once my wife lets me play with some money alittle, I'll end up upgrading to S/R struts.
I believe, all you guys need to use the zx2 struts is the top mounts right? no modifacation, right?
Good thing... I still got my zx2 in the back yard, so i already got the top mounts. when i had my zx2... I always wanted to get the s/r struts, but i kept putting it off. I wont put it off this time.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Ok... screw the idea of putting the coilover on the mx3 strut. the perch wont fit over it.. lmao
MAN!
Things are just going perfect, just perfect.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Why are you trying to put the perch over it? If they are similar to the Ground controls then you just throw the top perch out and the spring rests on the mounts. On the front the bearing is sandwiched in between, you don't use the top perches.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

no.. im talking about the coilover part with the threads on it... i wont be able to adjust it if i dont have it on there. thats what won't go down over that part..

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”