Going to the dyno tomorrow....update with bad pics 11/26 :(

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well at least thats cool.. and there shouldnt be any cylinder damage at all since its run time has been so short. And trust me.. I know all about having to wait to get your MX-3 on the road.. it sucks. Especially when you are having to wait for other people through no fault of your own :?

On the positive side.. At least you dont have to find room to store the car till their finished :D

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Just out of curiosity what did they set your ring gaps at? If the gap is to small it can cause this to happen as well. When making big power you want the ring gap looser than stock as the pistons swell when heated. Also find out what they set the piston to cylinder wall clearance at. I know we did mine 0.0005" larger bore than wiseco called for on my coated pistons so the rings would have a larger gap and a hair more room for the pistons to swell as I'm looking to spray the piss out of it ontop of 30psi of boost. You don't want to go much more than that or you'll wear the walls and piston skirts out really fast. Its odd that only one cyl went like that though. Check the spark plugs to make sure cyl. 3 isn't burning a lot hotter than the other cylinders. All the plugs should look really close to the same. If not than your intake manifold design is to fault. I know your exhaust manifold isn't :wink:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

JWMotorsports wrote:Just out of curiosity what did they set your ring gaps at? If the gap is to small it can cause this to happen as well. When making big power you want the ring gap looser than stock as the pistons swell when heated. Also find out what they set the piston to cylinder wall clearance at. I know we did mine 0.0005" larger bore than wiseco called for on my coated pistons so the rings would have a larger gap and a hair more room for the pistons to swell as I'm looking to spray the piss out of it ontop of 30psi of boost. You don't want to go much more than that or you'll wear the walls and piston skirts out really fast. Its odd that only one cyl went like that though. Check the spark plugs to make sure cyl. 3 isn't burning a lot hotter than the other cylinders. All the plugs should look really close to the same. If not than your intake manifold design is to fault. I know your exhaust manifold isn't :wink:
I know the answer to none of these questions. Corksport is doing all the work on the engine .
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

honestly, i would blame it on the intake mani. as i think that style is one of the crapyest designs.
did you get the 71 trim GT28? i figured you to be around 300 somewhere. it is a 1.6. and with the 28 you will have way better mid to high range than a big T4. but even still you should be able to hit atleast 300 to 330. maybe its the cams too. i would try and change to a different intake mani, and try that. then if that didnt work i would try stock cams and see if that makes a differeance. what plugs are in there, maybe they need to step the heat range down too.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

well...i have no idea about anything.... Im leaving the car in corksports hands and not going to call over there until i hear from them..
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

[quote="osargeant"]Hey Jarid,
I find that most turbo 1600 Miatas with similar work tend to dyno in the 240-260whp range.

quote]

this miata with a bone stock 1.6 dohc engine made 334whp@25psi here's a pic on the setup TEC III, RM turbo kit, GT32, 550 RC injecters, other as well not bad for a bone stock B6 making that power. don't feel bad what do u have as far as tuning.

(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
osargeant wrote:Hey Jarid,
I find that most turbo 1600 Miatas with similar work tend to dyno in the 240-260whp range.

quote]

this miata with a bone stock 1.6 dohc engine made 334whp@25psi here's a pic on the setup TEC III, RM turbo kit, GT32, 550 RC injecters, other as well not bad for a bone stock B6 making that power. don't feel bad what do u have as far as tuning.

ITS NOT THE TUNING IM UPSET ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!! IM UPSET CUZ THIS MOTOR HAS BEEN PROBLEMATIC!!
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

DAYUM over 300 WHP.. i would kill to get that power, thats a sexy engine.. i guess the cam gears are under those covers?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

hgallegos915 wrote:DAYUM over 300 WHP.. i would kill to get that power, thats a sexy engine.. i guess the cam gears are under those covers?
its a bone stock engine no aftermarket internals and no aftermarket camgears.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

pulled the head off yesterday...piston 2 and 3 showd signs of detonation as well as the combustion chamber on three was pretty beat up. Will have pics tomorrow.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Ouchhhh!

Light detination or heavy? Where they using an EGT gauge???? If you watch the EGTs they'll suddenly jump when detination starts and you'll see it in time to let off the gas and save the engine....if your watching them.

P.S.

Thank goodness for the warrenty for you!
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Do you have a custom intake manifold? Sounds like you have some flow issues. I wouldn't think that with the Microtech you should be having problems like that...
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

BuGS wrote:Do you have a custom intake manifold? Sounds like you have some flow issues. I wouldn't think that with the Microtech you should be having problems like that...
Nope....wish i did though..
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

With the DOCH MX-3 intake manifold flow should be pretty even. One way to find out is to look at the spark plugs really closely and compair them to each other. The color of the insulator and deposites on the plugs may vary from plug to plug. If it varies greatly then that is a sign of uneven flow. The ligher the color deposites the hotter that cylinder was burning. It could be a valve or valve seat problem if the plugs show uneven flow. I've seen freshly reworked ports done on a valve & seat machine, which is supposed to be dead nuts, leak when reassembled. Also, has the head been ported or polished? If drastically and it wasn't cc'd with a burret or flowed on a flow bench that would explain it as well. Other possibility is injector or injector driver problems. Injector drivers problems are extremely rare and usually occur with a total failure when occuring. Injector problems are a possibility and can be found by flowing the injectors. All it takes is a little dirt from reassembly etc. You can measure the electrical resistance of the injectors to varify the are ok and that the coil isn't burnt out of them. They should be very close to the same ohm reading.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

got pics of the pistons...will post tonite..
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)

Return to “Forced Induction”