Nd4SpdSe - 1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR (End Of File)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

JDM STYLEZZZ YO! :pimp:
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

hey man love all the computer stuff. sorta Jelious.. (nerd at heart as well)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Got 2nd Place for Best Mx-3 at the Meeting of the Mazda's show on he 11th. Here's her on display at the TSS Charity Show

Some slight updates of some parts and work:

Brand New MazdaSpeed Motor Mounts

Some 80A Urethane smuggled in from the US ;)

Mounts prepped to be filled

First Half Filled

And done

Welded & Balanced MazdaSpeed Protege LSD

SRD Member Mount Bushings

B&M Short Shifter

Outlaw Thermal Spacers

Powdercoated Valve Covers

Powerdercoaed Tranny Casing

Tranny bushings needed. Without them my rebuild is on hold :(

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

what color is that powdercoat? It looks like speckled blue??
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, it's blue with a silver flake. I was going to do with something of a solid color, but I think the flake on the valve covers will go well with the polished IM.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

looks nice Mike, but why oh why did you coat the tranny case blue??

oh and if your Garage in niagara gets broken into and your lsd and zx2 gearsets are gone. don't worry, it wasn't me :lol:
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I was getting the valve covers done, so I figured why not, give it a shot, see how it looks and stands up. Help clean up the engine bay not showing a tarnished old tranny

If someone tells me that I've had my gears and LSD stolen from my parents place, I'd be wondering where they got them from cause they're not there :P
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Your powdercoat reminds me of some camping kitchen pots and cups I used to have :D :lol:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Lol, thanks...I do know what your taking about, but the pics don't show it's true color

Parents dropped off the casing last week, so the new trans should be in the midst of being put back together.

I got an SRD front crossmember and rear tie bar waiting to be picked up in NJ, unfortunately I'm working in Florida until mid-November.

As well, my ProbeTalk group buy Deluxe Megasquirt build it done. Since I no longer have the car with me in the US (pretty much forbidden against by my company thanks to an a--hole cop who gave me bogus but serious tickets), I don't be able to get MS installed soon, probably not even this year.

I'm hoping to have a week off leading up to ImportFest in November 18th, but that may not be enough time, especially since I haven't dealt with MS, it'll be too much of a rush, my luck something will happen and she won't make it to IF. I want to impliment it without the coil-packs to start, as well make the MS ECU and the GM IAT sensor it a plug-and-play solution into the stock harness so I can swap back to my KL36 or K8 Probinator and my JE50 VAF, just in case, and it'll help for troubleshooting it things don't do as planned when installing MS. One thing I'm looking forward to is getting rid or our restrictive VAF, as well, for some reason I've had unexplable clearance issues with my CF hood and my ZE, so I'll be able to use coil packs and move the plug wires, the wire plugs on the disty are touching the hood.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

nice job
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Just a small update, not much can be done me being 2000km away, but things are being done. The trans is actually in the midst of being put back together, the slight problem is that I need a few more parts. I need the races to the bearings for the input and counter shafts (but they come in a kit with new bearings, so might as well), as well, output shaft bushings. So I got all those on order thanks to Colinsmx3 who works at the Mazda in Pickering...I'll just get him to ship them off to my mechanics place when they arrive, which should be around Tuesday, and hopefully.

My dad went to start my car the other day. My batteries where dead (again), so I think I'll be upgrading them with Yellow Tops this time around. As well, my dad said there's no oil in the motor and that there's a puddle underneath the car. I always knew I was leaking something, always though it was the tranny cause the seal on the one switch is shot (which is being replaced, I ordered all the seals I could find and switches). I've though for a while I was burning oil, but it didn't make sence cause she doesn't puff out anything really, I pass emission tests ok too. I get some oil on the valve covers, which I attribute to maybe the valve cover gasket (again, will be new with the new powdercoated valve covers)..but maybe there's something else, I'll have to check that first thing when I get home, but it'l be dry, so it'll be hard to spot, but I know there was oil in there (if on full or notnot exactly sure), and it's leaking without being ran...there's gotta be something that's leaking. That's going to bug me now until I go home...but not for another 2-3 weeks[/code]
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, I'm back home as of this past week, and home until the new year, so I'll have plenty of time to get stuff done, not necessarilly on the, it's damn cold outside, especially after spending 6 weeks in Florida. But I only had a few days to get ready for ImportFest "Canada's Biggest and Baddest Car Show". They moved it from the Skydome/Rogers Center to the Convention Center this year, they didn't renew their contract for this year, will be back at the dome next year, but they had to limit their cars because of the much smaller area, but I still got in. Although the tranny isn't quite done, I still wanted my valve covers and intake manifold on for the show.

Been about 4 year since the ZE's been installed, so it's been a long time since the valve covers and IM has been off. Oddly, the bolts for the valve covers, I could unthread most of them by hand...

Just to note, I'm just a few KMs short of putting 100'000kms on that motor myself, so she's by no means young

I actually attempted to clean the underside of this valve cover when I first got the motor. I did eventually give up since it's on the underside, but looking at it now, it gives me a good comparison now. The parts that's cleaner was cleaned nicely before the ZE was installed, and I've put 100'000kms on it since, so as a comparison (which I didn't know at the time), seeing gunky sludge on the underneath of the valve cover is BAD. As you can see, I've taken good care of her (the best as you can) and she didn't get nearly as bad after 100'000kms

Quick fitament of the IM at the end of day 1, just ran out of time in the evening.

After getting that all done, fired it up no problem, but the throttle cable decide to go stiff, and unfortunately she bounced off the rev limiter several times. She runs funny tho, almost like it's on 4-5 cyl, but she ran fine after, only after I powerwashed her at the show, she started to do that and the oil light came on. The was fine when I started it up after the show, I stopped for gas. She has a had time starting, the tach was jumping all over, the oil light was on, but went away after I got on the road, but the feel and sound of the motor still remained. I inspected the plugs today, the front back plugs are black, the rears are white...not sure what to make of that yet. I almost thought I wasn't going to make it to ImportFest, I had to run to the junkyward to pull one since no one had any in stock, but I got one and installed it before lunch on Friday, having to be in Toronto by 3:30pm

Some show pics

After all that work and headaches...it was worth it.

First place; Baddest MX3/323 :)

I've got a few things I'll post tomorrow (hopefully), need to take a few pics, but I'll show my ZE IM + Outlaw Spacers + CorkSport Strut Bar...it does all fit, just need to shave off the top 2 (unless) things that stick off off the top of the IM (above the top VRIS port). As well, I've got my Deluxe Megasquirt from the ProbeTalk group by. Still need to pickup the coil packs and the IAT sensor before I attempt that, but I want to fix the issue with my motor and get the trans in first.

Since the Mx-3 will be store away the winter, and after looking at my engine bay with the new pretty accessories, I think I'll have to start dressing that up better, very soon.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

After getting that all done, fired it up no problem, but the throttle cable decide to go stiff, and unfortunately she bounced off the rev limiter several times
OUCH...I feel sorry for them valve retainers...
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: First place; Baddest MX3/323 :)
congrats on the win!
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Nd4SpdSe - 1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR (Nov 18: Show Win)

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, since a few days before the show, I've been having some problems with the motor, just doesn't run right (see thread: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I've put in a new HEI module, tried a new ECU, VAF, batteries and there's a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head (thanks to Fieromx3 and Kp2t for coming down and helping me out). I've been told that at this point is either the HEI/Coil or the Injectors. I'm 95% sure if the coil. There was a point after putting in the new batteries and taking it for a test drive about a month ago, the tach started to jump all over the place. The only thing that would make me thing it's the injectors is that we put them on a different intake manifold, so they have been touched.

So I've got a PRD cap and a MSD Blaster SS to install. I removed the coil today. The disty is actually from my original K8 with over 240'000kms on it, so I would'nt be surprised if the coil went. It wasn't looking too healthy.

As well, I started a new job Monday, so I'll be home alot more now. On the way back from Virginia, we drove to New Jersey to pick up my SRD crossmember and rear tie bar. I bought them from neverenuff back in September, but of course with my luck, I just couldn't arrange to get there. So I'm happy to finally get them in my hands. Big thanks to Neverenuff for holding them for me. I'm going to put them on with my new tranny. I'm going to see if I can find anyone who can reproduce them before I get them installed. I have no idea where or if it's possible, but I'll look around and ask.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”