Do Cold air intakes, WORK!!!???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Do Cold air intakes, WORK!!!???

Post by MrMazda92 »

crazycanadian wrote:I believe the power being found from intake spacers is due to a change in runner length and better intake tuning....
This, and possibly a better angle for the injectors to spray the intake valves... It moves them slightly closer to the valley between the heads, as well as raising them up, farther away from the intake valves.

There are a few things that come to mind with the thermospacers, and honestly they all sound good in theory. I almost wonder(silly as it may sound) what gains might be had by installing 2 sets stacked, to add a little length to the runners... I have 2 sets that I could attempt it with...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

crazycanadian wrote:Seems there is some half decent under standing of what makes more power...

Air flow is key.. The intake design CAI or WAI isn't going to help much if its not designed to flow better...

The spacers you guys talk about, I would love to see proof that its cooling the intake manifold enough to truly create more power... I believe the power being found from intake spacers is due to a change in runner length and better intake tuning....

There is quite a bit of evidence of this on PT and Outlaw Engineering had some dyno specs of before and after but seems there page is down for the Holidays. I am sure that it has very little to do with making the runner a 1/8" longer. Rather than having the metal to metal contact and heat transfer as you do with OE metal gaskets, you are spacing them out causing using a none heat transferable plastic, which results in heat reductions in the IM temp as it is not directly contacting the motor. As we all know colder air is more dense, same theory as having a proper CIA.

Thermal gaskets are not new. they have been using them since the 50's. only the material they use now is newer and more efficient tech than what they used to use, which was a thick dense cardboard material.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, there is a lot of good info on this forum. Basically, the Outlaw spacers keep you from losing power when the IM heats up. I bought my MX-3 for going across Texas in the summer. After about a hour of driving in above 100 degrees, the car would bog, and have very little power starting from a stop. It even died while I was carefully feathering the gas/ clutch. I can handle heat (I am a fire juggler/ breather), and I could not touch the IM for a full second. After I put in the spacers, I had no more problems, and could hold my hand on the IM for about 8 seconds after the same conditions. I would *love* to see the injector angle with/ without them.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Jesse... I could probably get you pictures of that, when I get a day off of work. :D

I've got some heads with no valvetrain installed, thermospacers, and an intake that could be bolted together loosely for a demonstration!
I just need to put some injectors in one of my sets of fuel rails... They're all apart right now for "rebuilding".
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yeah on my turbo BP I have a sheet aluminum IM and it was crucial for me to have one as it will take on heat a lot faster and with the spacer it will keep it nice and cool for boost. But you are correct, it just helps keep it cooler after warm up. :)

I like to play with fire too. But I am more of a pyro :freak:

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”