Big Brake Kit: Possible Group Buy?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
wytbishop

Re: Big Brake Kit: Possible Group Buy?

Post by wytbishop »

projectB10 wrote:.... I am sure he would be the first to say that solution is not the basis for a BB solution.
That sort of BB upgrade (cutting into the respective mounting points on both caliper and spindle) would not pass road use certfication (nor I suspect, pass scutineering for track use) where I live.
I agree this would not be a good way to go for a product to sell. From the perspective of the guys at FastBrakes this wouldn't even be legal without Engineering documentation and some kind of DOT certification. The backyard mechanic can get away with this sort of thing but not a company selling a product.

If I had seen this 2 years ago I think I would have done it myself. I can't believe that thread got by me.
MrMazda92 wrote:Wyt, in all fairness do you expect a lot of people running stock wheels to buy $800+ brake setups?

Not a bash, just something that made me laugh a bit :lol: I'm sure that some people would, but typically people swap out their wheels before doing much else to a car.
No I get your point I just didn't want to engineer a system that I could only sell to people with big wheels. I wanted it to be available to everyone because I know a lot of guys are not happy with the look or performance of the stock brakes...and I was in it for the money.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Well I for one appreciate it, I don't like big wheels overly much. :lol:

I'm honestly planning to do the Milli/Subaru front brake swap, and I might consider the Miata rears if that front setup doesn't sate my appetite. I agree that the brakes aren't quite up to snuff, even though they're better than quite a few other cars I've driven...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
numba13

Post by numba13 »

Good Morning Guys!

Im sorry for the late update, its been a busy week..

Over the past week, Fastbrakes has been test fitting and some machined parts are in the process of being made. The rotor will be a 12" most likely and as to which Willwood caliper will be used isnt quite clear yet. The rest of this week will be more test fitting etc so ill keep you guys posted :)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Sooo...updates?
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm curious too, even if it's out of my budget :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

I would like to show my interest in this as well, after a full track day at portland international raceway my brakes were toast even after using ate super blue brake fluid and hawk hp plus pads on front with slotted and dimpled powerslot up front and ebc green stuff on rear. Another question is can we specify what type of pad we get when we order cause I dont want street pads just race pads for me.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

its coming up on 2 months since he updated. I'm guessing he got some bad news and doesn't want to talk about it. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
numba13

Post by numba13 »

I do apologize for the late reply fella's, I have been going back and forth for some time with this guy and I keep getting the same song and dance. I just sent of an email asking for an update and if he was serious or not about supplying for the group buy. Ill see what he says, but in the interim I have located a few other possible brake companies willing to work with us. Would have been nice for some big brakes to be sitting under the tree this year :( Ill keep jammin on this though guys..
numba13

Post by numba13 »

Good Afternoon ladies and gentlemen!

I apologize for the delay in info but the day has finally come for an update. The kit has been successfully put together with a definite price and with a group buy of 5 or more people we are looking at $820.00 for the dust boot type and $750.00 for the non dust boot type. Please note that this is for the fronts only. As for the rear setup, we can only upgrade the rotor size as the parking brake is integrated into the caliper itself. With that said, the rear kit will include 275mm slotted and drilled rotors and associated brackets for $235 with a minimum 5 sets ordered. The caliper being used for the fronts are Willwood 4 piston Dynapro radial I believe they are called.
numba13

Post by numba13 »

I forgot to mention that the kit includes pads, braided lines...etc as mentioned before on page one I believe. Oh and shoutout to Wyt, could use a second opinion, will be welding roll cage soon :twisted:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

What are the specs of the front brakes? What size rotor, what piston size in the caliper? Will it fit in a stock wheel or will 16/17's be required?

Which shop is doing the work? I would like to have a look at it. Is there a prototype? Everyone's going to want to see pictures.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Sounds badass, pics please! :)
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
numba13

Post by numba13 »

Good Morning Guys!

Please read the following in response to your questions and please dont hesitate if you require clarity or have any more questions. Also, please note that for the guys interested in rockin 15" wheels, the price mentioned is retail and will of course be lower for those in the group buy. As for how much lower, that will have to be determined based on interest. I dont know about you guys but im pretty stoked for a set of fronts :twisted:

Fastbrakes:

We are designing and test fitting the kit, Fastbrakes. We do all the work. I won’t have any pics of the completed kit on the test spindle until at least late next week due to the holiday.

Current specs are:

310 mm 1 piece rotors, Wilwood radial mount 4 piston calipers with 1.38” pistons.

WILL NOT FIT stock wheels. Kit MAY fit some 15” wheels. I will test fit a 15” wheel just to see if it will clear. Will probably require at least a 16” wheel. Wheels MUST HAVE at least 13.7” inner diameter at the smallest point.

We can make the kit with slightly smaller 300mm 2 piece rotors to allow it to fit in 15” wheels. These kits would cost approx $1400 with slotted/drilled rotors, $1325 with plain rotors. This is retail pricing. I may accept orders for this kit as part of the group buy.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

numba13 wrote:These kits would cost approx $1400 with slotted/drilled rotors, $1325 with plain rotors. This is retail pricing.
:shock: This kind of pricing "retail" with a SOLID one piece rotor... Seems kind of high to me :shrug:
numba13

Post by numba13 »

That's for a two piece rotor josh and a bit different of a setup in order to fit a 15" wheel :)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”