Pro's and Con's of drilled and slotted rotors

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Pro's and Con's of drilled and slotted rotors

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ryan wrote: Inodoro, the front and rear rotors are totally different designs. You can't say which would break faster.
True, but, for a set, they are (or, at least, they SHOULD be) engineered together. To say you can't know which rotors would break faster is like saying you can't know if the front brake pads would wear out faster or slower than the rear ones.
Ryan wrote: The liklihood of a material flaw in these is just the same as a blank rotor. Hopefully less in the drilled rotor, if quality control is of any concern, since they'll be accounting for the holes.
Precisely my point. That crack could've appeared just as easily on a blank. And, no. Unfortunately, when it comes to cheap rotors, quality is seldom of any concern at all.
Ryan wrote: Isn't it interesting that the crack passes RIGHT through the outer hole....
I'd say what's interesting is that the crack goes all the way from the hub to the outer edge, while the rest of the hole (and the other holes) seem to be completely clean. Spider web cracks don't behave like that.
Ryan wrote: I still vote against cheap drilled rotors. Also, I have this sneaking suspicion that Brembo is riding along on their reputation from brilliant marketing, not their quality.
I agree on the "cheap" part. But that should be applied to any kind of rotor, or braking component.

Brembo is doing what any company would do: making money off people's ignorance (Stereoking: I'm not talking about you).
If some idiot wants to put cheap cross drilled rotors on his car, because "they look cool", it makes sense to provide him with a cheap, good looking piece of garbage, so he can be happy while he kills himself. Take it as "artificial evolution of the species"... :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Pro's and Con's of drilled and slotted rotors

Post by Josh »

Guys, It is not a casting flaw, this does not mean that they are $h!t, and it adds nothing to any statistics other than failure of a product to a manufacture that alters another companies products.

"these" Brembo rotors that you buy online DO NOT come from Brembo slotted and drilled they are done after the fact by another company. Brembo does not sell slotted and cross drilled rotors for our car. These are brembo rotors that are sold as blanks, then other companies drill and slot them. They were never intended for this. I have had the same thing happen twice with the Brembo "slotted Cross drilled" rotors. They always crack on a top hole closest to the edge. My first set i ran for 3 years then it did the same thing.

On the other hand these are a single disks none vented rotors, and I have seen even blank OE rotors do the same thing. non vented single disks crack in the same way. I have only ever seen one front crack, but it was a hairline and the guy raced it profusely.

After going through two sets I decided way back to only run blanks in the rear. Our cars are light enough it doesn't really matter that much other than for aesthetics.

It's OK these types of things happen

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”