Master window switch for 92 mx-3

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Master window switch for 92 mx-3

Post by MrMazda92 »

Heh, honestly I leave my passenger one locked because I always bump the switch when I hit my own window button, and it keeps passengers from annoying me :P

Pictures are good, put it in a work log even!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by ethand »

oh, i always put both windows down!! Lets in a nice breeze!
I like to let passengers control the window - most women especially like the window up, but I usually prefer it down due to the climate here its usually nice temp if you have windows down without A/C!!
Yah, for sure... I'll put a link to my project worklog here when I'm done maybe? I'll try remember pics, etc., too...
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

ethand wrote:oh, i always put both windows down!! Lets in a nice breeze!
I like to let passengers control the window - most women especially like the window up, but I usually prefer it down due to the climate here its usually nice temp if you have windows down without A/C!!
Yah, for sure... I'll put a link to my project worklog here when I'm done maybe? I'll try remember pics, etc., too...
I do too :P I meant I like to control the windows... I keep them fairly even to stabilize airflow, because the crossing air can be annoying when one's down more than the other. Good!!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
ethand

Post by ethand »

haha! I do exactly the same!! Except sometimes when my hair's wet I have the passenger one only down, or else my hair turns afro :?
It's not the best when I rock up at work in my classy gear and have an afro on one side of my head.... :|
ethand

Post by ethand »

GUESS WHAT??? I FIXED IT!!!! hahah on saturday when I fiddled with it, I tried 3 things, for the first two, I tried the switch with the lock both on and off, and I thought I had done that as well for the 3rd one, but clearly not, as last night I had a mate in the car and I must have knocked the lock switch and he tried the windows AND IT WORKED!!! both up AND down!! consistently!! ahhahaha
so i looks like the secret ingredient to replacing a small plastic cylinder in your window switch is... *drumroll* a peice of a scewer with a plastic straw over it!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA i got desperate, ok?? hahahaha
I'd tried everything else and then I saw that a scewer was almost as thick as the plastic peice, and thought a straw over the top of that might help beef it up a little, but also provide protection against wear a little... anyway... thought I'd post that up here... I might add photos on saturday when I put my door back together properly (and I'll take the switch to peices again hahaah!)
man, i'm SO surprised that this temporary fix worked!! hahahaha
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Lol @ the afro comment, that's awesome.

Congrats!! It feels good when you fix something that's been eating at you huh?! Windows are a big one, people don't miss them until they lose them!!!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

haha trust me, its not cool :oops: haha and its worse coz it only does it on one side of my head - where the window is... and straight, brown hair isnt meant to go afro. I'm sorry if you think i'm racist, but the only people that can successfully pull off an afro are Africans hahaha

Yah, its a great feeling! especially given my usual mechanically retarded traits :freak:
this is the first time I have (by myself) ever fixed something properly!! And without having had someone show me hahaha... the only thing is: It doesnt really affect me coz I dont use the passenger side switch hahaha... but hey, its fixed! Even if it is using the most random things ever hahahaha... I should write a how to on fixing broken electric windows with things you could find in the kitchen! hahahahaha :lol:
I'll post pics when I put it back together... hopefully tomorrow... though tomorrow is gonna be 37 degrees (cel) and humid... so maybe not hahaha
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hah, I've always liked to keep my hair short-medium length, and I've got wavy-ish hair; It makes it hard to change to a new style without significant effort! It's easier to keep it timeless, so short it is for me.

Well, I've messed up more than a few things since I decided I wanted to do most of my work myself; In the end though, I typically fix it without losing too terribly much time or money. It's worth it in the long run, because I'm collecting tools and knowledge that should carry over to future projects!

I've been terrible about documenting my work, I've taken sporadic pictures and written nothing down. ;( The exception being the teardown on my DE, I've organized and written it out step-by-step so I can minimize the risk of missing something when I put it back together.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

hahaha i think the first part of our posts should really be in the 'off topic' section hahaha... or is hair related to the electronics of mx-3s somehow?? :lol:
haha yeah... i did forgot to take pics/write anything down when I took mine apart... but i did take photos of it when I put it back together!!
So here goes... the "HOW TO: fix your passenger side window switch using stuff from the kitchen and some screwdrivers - a guide for complete and total noobs."

So first, you take out the screw holding the door handle in place:
then take off the backing of the handle by pulling on the handle and then the backing as well:
And then remove these 4 screws in these pics:

Then, carefully run your fingers around the inside edge of the door card, to loosen/free the clips that hold it to the door. Be careful not to pull too hard, or you'll break the clips. and thats bad.
Then you lift up the door card, which should be loose from the door except at the top. Once you've lifted it up from the door, pull it away a little from the door, then unclip the elec window switch here:

Now you can completely pull the card away from the door.
To remove the handle to get to the switch properly, undo these two screws:
You should now be able to slide the handle itself out. Now see the black area kinda inset in the white plastic at the top?
We need to press hard in there to pop the switch out. I used a rag wrapped around a screw driver so I didnt wreck the plastic to get this out:
Now you should be able to pull the switch out. The plug can fit through the hole where the switch usually sits. In order to get to the insides of the switch, there are two tabs on each side of the switch (long ways). To pull the switch apart, simply shove one screw driver down each side of the switch like so, and use one to lever it out:

Now this can be where problems can be different. One of my plastic cylinders was broken, so I've just shoved a peice of...
To be continued... I've run out of time!! oops :)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Update update update!! ;D Maybe put it in a worklog :)
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

haha wooooooooooopss!! sorry, I forgot I was in the middle of this... and I havent been on here since that last post ahaha... sorry!!
Yah, I'll give it a go (finishing this) when i get home :)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Haha its no trouble, I just stumbled upon it again myself!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

woops... geez... i'm really havin trouble remembering to do this... will have to get a reminder to do it... i dont have the pics here, they're on my dads computer, not either of mine (i only got them a few weeks ago), so gotta remember to get them off his...
in the meantime you might wanna check out my project worklog... its nothing major, but i did a little tidying up to my baby on saturday, makes a massive difference to the look of the car in the metal, unfortunately the pics dont do it justice, though haha
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

You can download them from this page :P

Right click, and save image as! =)

I'll look later tonight, it's movie time(so says my girlfriend) xD
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

nah, i mean the rest of the pics to continue writing it up... i had pics of the piece of scewer in the switch, my fave pic coz it looks so random hahaha

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”