How to replace friction gear springs W/O removing the Tbelt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: How to replace friction gear springs W/O removing the Tb

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

MrMazda92 wrote: I can grind the nut,...
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE NUT!!! :lol: :lol: (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Anyway, I've been thinking for some time that a feasible way to do it would be to make a small hole on the crown of the nut (parallel to the camshaft hole) and drive a small steel pin through it, so that it'd fit in a hole (or notch) on the spring. I haven't tried it yet, though. :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I think the washer IS thick enough to handle some material being ground away. I still think the washer itself is worth replacing, but the nut is DEFINITELY a DIY job.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

question for you on this ryan. i have some other students in my class doing this on my car as im stuck on a shitty honda accord with the most retarded oil leak ever. anyways the students marked the teeth on the actual cam used chalk which rubbed off while replacing the washer/spring. is it possible to line this up again easily? any pointers you can think of? i know they need to be timed together properly which is the point of the markings. is there a way to fix this without having to remove the timing belt?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Damn.. I don't have an answer for you on that, but next time tell them to use whiteout. Ryan was spot on with that suggestion, it beats everything other method out for marking it.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

yeah i usually use white out too. i saw them using chalk but i thought it was tire chalk which is more durable so didnt think much of it until i noticed the mark was gone...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Well, if it comes to it, at least you can make the guys change the timing belt for you. :shrug:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

lol that is planned in the near future. its just not convenient for me or my teacher at this point in time. im sure ill get ripped a new a--hole if i cant figure this out... according to this http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B2-077.gif the cams are physically marked, ive confirmed this with the colt cams i have sitting infront of me. worst case senario i can just rotate the crank by hand and line up the alignment marks.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Good choice!!! That's what I would do. :D
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

There will be casting marks on the pulley(s) and the head(s) that you can line everything up with.

I'm not sure whether you mean you're doing this to the accord, or driving the accord.

If its the K you're doing it on, http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B2-104.gif

Shows you the general orientation where you'll find the marks.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

why has this not been stickied? i spent all day looking for something like this
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

anyone have a link to the torque spec on the friction gear nut itself?
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Erm... Quarter past tight as **** looks to be the big winner on this one.

I didn't have a socket large enough to go at it with a torque wrench, I used a massive crescent wrench and a bench vise instead. :shrug:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”