solo_ryder's How To: Warm air/Short ram intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mad Cow

Re: solo_ryder's How To: Warm air/Short ram intake

Post by Mad Cow »

That's true, but I'm just wondering at what point you'd be starving the motor. My intake is a bit thinner than the TB inlet at it still pulls hard all the way up to the rev limiter.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

You've got a stock exhaust so you're not gonna see it's full power anyway.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MX3-4U2NV
antispam: No

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

Mad Cow wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Of course there are more exhaust gases. Don't forget our VAF pretty much limits the max amount of air that can enter at any time.
Even more reason so use a thinner intake tube.
No, you do not want to use a thinner intake tube, as mentioned slightly by Night Shade. You will definitely choke the engine, thus resulting in crappy performance from your engine.

You can have a 10 foot tube intake for all that matter, as Night Shade mentioned, the VAF helps regulate the air going in.

Look at it this way; say you have a 2" intake, you're on the highway, and you floor it. Your VAF opens entirely, trying to suck in all it can for what's being asked. But since there is a restriction, with the intake being only 2", it's working harder, trying to get in all the air it WANTS.

Now, with a 3' per-se, when you floor it, there is more air volume readily available for the engine when it needs it.

Another example; you're drinking a milkshake. You have a tiny thin straw. You're sucking on the straw to get the milkshake so hard, that your cheeks are collapsing, and you are straining. Now, you get a straw slightly bigger, you can suck up the milkshake a lot easier, and you aren't straining as much to do so.
MX3-4U2NV

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

Here are some pics of the tube, with my '96 EGR hose solution.

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

MX3-4U2NV wrote:
Mad Cow wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Of course there are more exhaust gases. Don't forget our VAF pretty much limits the max amount of air that can enter at any time.
Even more reason so use a thinner intake tube.
No, you do not want to use a thinner intake tube, as mentioned slightly by Night Shade. You will definitely choke the engine, thus resulting in crappy performance from your engine.

You can have a 10 foot tube intake for all that matter, as Night Shade mentioned, the VAF helps regulate the air going in.

Look at it this way; say you have a 2" intake, you're on the highway, and you floor it. Your VAF opens entirely, trying to suck in all it can for what's being asked. But since there is a restriction, with the intake being only 2", it's working harder, trying to get in all the air it WANTS.

Now, with a 3' per-se, when you floor it, there is more air volume readily available for the engine when it needs it.

Another example; you're drinking a milkshake. You have a tiny thin straw. You're sucking on the straw to get the milkshake so hard, that your cheeks are collapsing, and you are straining. Now, you get a straw slightly bigger, you can suck up the milkshake a lot easier, and you aren't straining as much to do so.
Well, contrary to what you are all led to believe, 3" is actually to large of a intake for a klze, especially a k8. There was a thread on here or PT a few years ago that discussed optimised intake pipe size for a ze motor, they determined that 2.25" was the perfect size IIRC. It all comes down to velocity, think about it this way. If you blow air through a hose and through a dryer vent, which one will have more velocity? In this case the hose. Now I understand vacuum and what the motor can pull in makes size a factor, obviously a really small intake would choke the motor because it would need a larger volume of air. It was found the best mix between velocity and volume. 3" is definately oversized. The only reason I use a 3" pipe is because of the look, 2.5" just looks abit to small iirc. Overall impact on performance wouldn't be noticible, but hopefully this clarifies some misconceptions on intake pipe size
MX3-4U2NV

Post by MX3-4U2NV »

Actually...

If we wanted to get exceedingly technical, mathematically, you can get the same results out of a 3" that you would a 2.25" intake. If we started talking lengths.

Sure the 2.25" was discovered to be optimal, but at what length? Because in all honesty, that also really does matter.

If the 2.25" was optimal at 20 inches, then a 3" pipe would be just as optimal, at a shorter length, depending on the mathematical volume calculations.

I forget the site, will google it somehow, but it explains that any aftermarket intake on a car, should be no smaller than the inside diameter of your throttle body. Larger intakes will choke at the throttle body, so it won't really matter, where when the air volume goes from a smaller intake, to a larger throttle body inside diameter, the air slows down, etc etc.

I'm going to go try and find the site.
Last edited by MX3-4U2NV on October 2nd, 2009, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I agree, inside diameter of the throttle boddy aint 3", but even so you wont notice it at all like I said.

They were just saying that the absolute optimized size was 2.25" or something.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

420 views!
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”