Wytbishop - 93' GS SE ZE - The Purple..I mean Black.. Beast

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
wytbishop

Re: Wytbishop - 93' GS SE The Purple Beast

Post by wytbishop »

Oh yes it does. Once the bushing GB is complete I have basially a complete suspension rebuild to perform. Rear subframe, control arms, sway bars, crossmember and transmission mount are all ready to go for powder coating. The Eibach/ZX2 struts are ready to go. New hubs and spindles, lateral links and trailing arms for the rear. New wheel bearings, ball joints and tie rod ends in front. I even got new factory hardware and E-brake cables.

New clutch is in the trunk, spare tranny is inspected and ready to install. Stainless clutch line and new slave cylinder have arrived. Stainless braike lines are on the way.

On top of all that mechanical stuff, when the bumper and lip arrive they will go, along with the spare rear bumper and the entire automobile to the paint shop for a shiny new paint job and a new windshield.

It's going to be LEGEND.....

wait for it....

DARY!!!!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

So...I got permission from the Treasury Secretary to do some stuff.

I ordered my KL-31 straight necked ZE today. I will be picking it up in Calgary in April. In the meantime I have ordered an Exedy clutch, oil pump, water pump, VC gaskets, Timing set yada yada yada. Got some Pacesetter headers from SuperK and looking for a good muffler and high flow cat. Ordering a chip from the Probinator.

Might be in the market for a Millenia intake...not sure. I'ma try to find an MX-6 brake booster and do like ProjectMX3 what's his name did and retain the straight neck. I like the way it looks.

It's going to be an awesome summer. I'm going to try to have everything done my the time the Kelowna meet comes around.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You going to put a resonator in before the muffler? I have a big cherry bomb straight through in there before my magnaflow, it's between 18" and 26", can't remember how big. I can get under there and measure it, but by then you'll have your engine :lol: I don't have a garage to work in and don't plan on going under my car anytime soon.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think I'll put a high flow cat in front of the muffler. I try to be environmentally conscious.

Now I want a set of K-Sports.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I have a high flow cat and a resonator and a muffler, it's quiet enough, but not as quiet as stock...I can't imagine how loud it'd be if I didn't have the extra resonator in.

I know I really want some k-sports or a TEIN setup as well...kinda why I've been askin about them lately...I don't like the GC/ZX2 setup I have, I got some B&G springs on the way from a member, hopefully that is a little better, but its my bushings that are totally shot! Maybe you can help me with that sometime? :lol:

Why does it take so long to get your ZE? None in the area? If the treasury secretary is limiting you on funds, remember itl be about 500-800 to put a ZE in, because you will need a clutch, fluids, (AWR Mounts are a nice addition), etc.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have about a $2500 budget. So far with the engine, most of the maintenance parts, Exedy clutch and Pacesetter headers I'm in for about $1500. I still need belts, thermostat, filters, cleaning supplies (I'm going to rent a steamer), the rest of the exhaust and I think I'm gonna buy a set of MSP mounts from Corksport. I'm also looking for an MX-6 brake booster so I can keep the straight neck.

I'm not picking the engine up till April because I'm going to do the swap on the Easter long weekend. The warrantee is only 30 days so they are holding it for me till then.

The bushing GB will be starting next week.

I need to sell a bunch so I can buy those K-Sports.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Here are the obligatory "all my new stuff" pics...well some of it...there's more to come...but I'm giddy as a schoolgirl

clutch which the dog finds fascinating...

gaskets, water pump, K&N filter...

cheapo EBAY headers...

Magnaflow muffler, oil pump, timing set, probinator chip, blah blah blah...is all on the way.

Just a couple more weeks of waiting. I'm very excited.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

It's all coming together :) Do you have an exhaust on yet or are you waiting to get the ZE in first?

I've decided against k-sports for the time being because I've been reading alot of negative reviews about them - more than I can find about the positives, unless lowering is your main concern.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have the ebay headers and a Magnaflow universal muffler. My plan is to bolt up the stock exhaust and drive it to the muffler shop once it's in and running. I have talked to them and they are willing to custom fit the 2.25" piping from the header back to the Magnaflow. Its a pain in the butt to swap the headers with the engine in but the alternative is to drive it down with open headers and I can see that not going well. The other option is to tow it down with the headers on...we'll see.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Option 3 is what I chose:

Install headers and downpipe, cut chunk out of exhaust so that you can poorly bolt the cat onto the new downpipe and hold the pipe together w/ some aluminum sheeting and the clamps they sell in the muffler section at auto parts stores. This is if you are not planning on keeping the OEM piping on your car. You can keep the resonator and cat this way, but its smaller than 2.25 so why would you want to? I got 2.25 mandrel bent - if you're getting crush bent, get 2.5!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You confused me.. Are you going with the PaceSetters, or Ebay?
I drove my stock GS with open exhaust manifolds. My neighbor girl liked it! I turned some heads, but it went fine. It didn't seem louder than some Harleys I've heard.
I'm sure if you got pulled over, you could show them all your stuff, ready to be put on, and not get a ticket.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
rece

Post by rece »

I drove my car to the muffler shop with open headers. It was loud... had to wear earplugs, but it saved the nightmare of getting the old ones out and the new on with the engine in the car.

yo have to be a contortionist sp? to get at the rear bank bolts
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well after reading about your nightmare installation of the Pacesetters I opted for the cheapo EBAY headers that I know will fit. Kris sold the Pacesetters to another guy.

On another note, I purchased the rest of my swap parts today. Can you believe that even with the exchange and shipping, a fuel filter, belts and plugs are $20 less from rockauto.com that at my local jobber parts store?

Here's the list of everything I have purchased for the swap:

Exedy clutch
OEM clutch slave cylinder
Corksport SS clutch line
Oil pump
Water pump
Timing set
Valve Cover Gaskets
Front and Rear Main Seals (that came packaged with a few other gaskets and O-rings)
K&N 3" cone filter (I may have to find a cheap bit of 3" piping)
Ebay headers
Magnaflow 4x9 2.25" dual tip universal muffler
Probinator chip
Power distribution block (I'm going to relocate the battery)
4AWG power wire
Fuel filter
Dayco drive belts
Miata spark plugs
New PCV valve and grommet

All of that with the engine I'm in for a little over $2k CDN. The majority of these things are in a pile in my living room...which makes my wife very happy.

I still want a new battery and a box to put it in in the trunk. I will have to pay an exhaust shop to weld up my system. My only real quandary is whether or not to get a set of MSP engine mounts from Corksport. With the exchange and shipping they are over $400CDN...but I want them soooo bad.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Install the engine, install the headers. Get a sawsall and cut your stock exhaust (you need to remove about 9" for the ebay headers. Buy a coupler and temperarliy join your exhaust. I cut the exhaust pipe about 3" back from the cat, cut out about 9" by bolting the 3" piece to the cat and following the cut onto my exhaust pipe. Welded it together but like I said just clamp yours untill you get to a muffler shop. I also used spacers under the header to cross member flange to increase space between the crossmember and the oil pan. You'll find it touches other wise.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, it was not easy, and unless you're going for every possible HP, and don't mind the rasp, they could be not worth it. Have you visited your local metal scrapyard? It's a wonderland for the DIYer.
I could get my rear headers on fine. The bolts weren't easy to reach, but I am an acrobat. And it was on a lift.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”