Oily, oily

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

jaydog5678 wrote:
ariesdude wrote:Yes it will look clean because the valve cover is pressurized and oil if leaking usually kinda sprays out towards the bottom. I had similar problem in my DOHC - i replaced the gasket (while the original looked great - but i learned later that it had expanded and lost the ability to seal when the engine was hot). It leaked again in 2 or 3 days. I replaced it again and this time i used a lot of RTV as indicated by the manual - it didnt leak after that. You have to replace the PCV valve too if you have one.
The many years I've been working with cars, I've heard it all...muffler bearings, blinker fluid and now valve covers that are pressurized and magic gaskets that expand when hot and oily :? ... I've always wondered about the spraying oil from my valve cover gasket. It's almost like theres a hose that shoots oil under that cover. :o
I am just posting my experience jaydog - in the hopes that it may help this discussion.

If you dont believe that the crank case could be pressurized by clogged PCV valve leading to oil seeping out -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

Here's my BP with an almost good vcg

Here's my patched up B6
You can imagine how it looked before i patched it up.

And by the way i compared the old gasket and new gasket on top of each other - the old gasket was physically wider and longer when it was hot. If i had just resorted to visual inspection without actual comparison - i would have thought the old gasket was in very good condition. I wish i had taken pictures of that comparison (hot & cold).
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Tropical Emerald 1993

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

Ok, here's the pic. It looks that cylinder head gasket is 10 times harder to replace than valve cover gasket :o

cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Ya your still a Shade Tree. I never heard of a plugged Posative Crank Ventilation valve making engines SPRAY oil. Like you said in your one post.

But just because you have the book doesnt make you right. :lol:
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

i can see where this post is going....

its to prove whos smarter...which isnt helping the fellow that needs help in this post...

wish i could say somthing ti help him..but i have replace all my seals and such..so i dont have any problems..besides my clutch needs replaced...

but i hope you find what you need and get it fixed soon..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

If your head is warped you need to replace the head or get it machined. I said that before, replacing the gasket still means you have a warped head. Which means you will still have the leak, new gasket or not.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

Guys lets, not make this into a pissing match.
Try to stay focused and help the original poster with his problems.

Thanks,
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
Tropical Emerald 1993

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

Ok since it is not an easy repair and the car is old I'll leave as it is. If it starts leaking more in summer I'll put in additive. I'll clean PCV also, there is a tiny bit of oil around.

jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

He's right - a clogged PCV could cause a build up in pressure in the crank case, causing leaking seals.
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

yep...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”