Fluctuating idle, bucking and stalling.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kingfd

Post by kingfd »

MX3driver wrote:Hey bud,
I never got to read all the other posts, so I'm replying just from reading yours. I just had the same problem with a ford explorer.. they did a million tests, from o2 sensors to fuel pump, to alternator, EVERYTHING.. and turned out, it was just that the catalytic converter was plugged to shat.. and that will destroy your manifold gasket, which will lead to shitty compression. I called him today to see if it would be a similar problem with your car.. and he said the first thing he'd do would be replace the cat.. that's if yours hasen't been replaced, an he also said that even if you did, and you just bought a universal, it could be the problem. Anyways, just letting you know.
Craig
Thanks for the suggestion Craig. Do you know if there's an easier way of checking it out besides replacing it. I have not had the cat light come on while I have been driving so have never thought that this could be causing a problem.
kingfd

Post by kingfd »

To those who know - If I pull the plug to the TPS while the car is running, should I notice any changes at all?

It seems that when I pull the plug nothing happens at all.
kingfd

Post by kingfd »

Anyone know what page in the online manual it shows you how to check codes?

I must be a retard cause I can't find it.
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

My car is having the EXACT problems you mention in the first post.
SBmx3

Post by SBmx3 »

kingfd wrote:Anyone know what page in the online manual it shows you how to check codes?

I must be a retard cause I can't find it.
check codes by going to autozone and letting them do it for you for free :D
or i think for about a $70 deposit you can take the machine home
and bring it back for a full return of your deposit.

this is just a shot in the dark, but do you think it could be your MAF malfunctioning??? I am definetly no car guru, but that came to mind.
88 WHP~~~ WOOT!
maz3

I HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH MINE

Post by maz3 »

HI I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MX3 AND I WAS TOLD TO REPLACE THE SENSOR ON THE MOTOR THAT RUNS THE COMPUTER TH SENSOR IS BELOW THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING THIS FIXS THE PROBLEM STRAIGHT AWAY MAKE SURE YOU BLED THE AIR FROM THE SYSTEM TO I PROMISE THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM AND A SURE FIX
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

I only get this problem when its wet outside.

replaced spark plug wires, distributer cap, and rotor
dielectric grease on everything, then sprayed everything down with wd40 and still on wet days it acts up. on dry days its smooth as molassas.

Where else could the problem be.
maz3

Post by maz3 »

this problem is caused by the sensor giving up it tells the computer what to do and when it blows it tells the computer to add more petrol my car did the same thing i spent thousands trying to fix the problem them replaced that and it stoped the problem i found out from an auto electrics person that its a fault with them
kingfd

Post by kingfd »

Well guess what? It was the coolant temperature sensor.

Car had to sit for awhile cause I was too busy getting married going on honeymoon and moving house. But its finally fixed.
After all of that. Thanks guys for your help and advice. Experience with this car has put me off alittle, but it's nothing compared to my RX7. Ha ha.
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

I finally figured out how to pull the codes, and got 9: Water Thermo Sensor?

Is that the same problem you guys had?

Oh well.. replace that tomorow hope its an easy cheap fix.
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

Picked up an Engine Coolant Tempurature Sensor for $40 CAD. Going to install it tonight when work is over.. Im optimistic that this will solve all my problems.. makes me mad that I paid $280 at Autopro to diagnose the problem and im pretty sure the only thing they did was increase the idle speed.

Oh well.. Wish me luck. I will know tonight if my woes are over.
kingfd

Post by kingfd »

Well good luck with it. You got one on me. I had to get someone else to pull the codes for me, was just getting too frustrating and I just couldn't be bothered.

Annoying that I took it to 2 different places plus replaced a whole lot a stuff that probably didn't need to be replaced at all, and spent a good few hundred dollars. Oh well no use complaining, all fixed now, just like yours will be.
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

Thanks kingfd,

Coolant temp sensor was replaced today and the fluctuating idle went away.. it feels like a brand new car to drive.

Also put in some Splitfire Triple Platinum plugs which i recomend to everyone.

Its a goood day.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

i am trying to find the coolant temp sensor on a 92 1.6l sohc to no avail. i might be completly BLIND it wouldnt be the first time. trh online manuel only shows the dohc. any help would be greatly appreciated.
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

tallymx3 wrote:i am trying to find the coolant temp sensor on a 92 1.6l sohc to no avail. i might be completly BLIND it wouldnt be the first time. trh online manuel only shows the dohc. any help would be greatly appreciated.
There is a picture in this thread that you look at -
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=337697
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”