solo_ryder - 1994 MX3 GS-ZE - Update March 17 - Goodbye

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
solo_ryder

Re: solo_ryder - 1994 MX3 GS-ZE - Update DEC 14 - RIMS!

Post by solo_ryder »

Not a fan of black rims too much.. Im pretty set on what im doin
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

ya your rim color choice is bang on, i facebooked you about aluminium oxide blasting. at the same time i do like the gold, gives it the "dont f--- around" bad a-- look.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Bead blasted for the matte finish and powder coated silver is definitely the way to go. THEN...a nice gold caliper and a blingy rotor. Silver and gold look good together but the gold has to be really understated.s Brakes are the only part of the car that I think can stand to be flashy. It would look great with an open spoke wheel like that.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

wytbishop wrote:Bead blasted for the matte finish and powder coated silver is definitely the way to go. THEN...a nice gold caliper and a blingy rotor. Silver and gold look good together but the gold has to be really understated.s Brakes are the only part of the car that I think can stand to be flashy. It would look great with an open spoke wheel like that.
Yea you know what's up. I have to get them sand blasted tho.. The guy who had em before used sandpaper befre painting the gold and there are scratches everywhere.. I need something abrasive to take that stuff out for the most part and I think that good ol sandblasting will take that out.

As for brakes, got some Brembo slotted rotors that I got all painted up in the right spots with a zinc based high heat self etching primer.. Calipers I am thinking leaving silver with a silver rim or a steel grey rim. Both colors for the rim will be a semi-gloss finish just like the b-pillar bars that are done by Joe.

I aslo ordered the official decal kit for the rims so that they are legit.. 46 bucks for all 4 wheels.. 8 decals. Here is what that looks like:

Apparently these rims are just over 800$ new here.. :D I also have the same lug style as shown in the above pic!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you take them to a wheel shop they will most likely use glass beads for blasting aluminum. Blasting with the correct media will remove the scratches.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea, that is what I thought as well as I know its easier on aluminum.. But they use sand, I have taken my konigs there as well and they turned out awesome. As well as my valve covers and fuel rails.. The valve covers had this black sandy crap inside.. So I assume they sand blast even though I hear it is not as friendly on aluminum. Either way, they do tons of wheels so I am confident they know what they are doing haha.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The fine black stuff is not sand exactly...it's glass. It's a good all purpose blasting media. Actual sand is heavier and does a lot more damage to the surface of things and is usually only used nowadays in large industrial setups like for heavy equipment.

I would definintely go with silver. Your car is so tight it doesn't need a lot of accents.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Thanks Wyt.. Yea, I think silver is the key, the decals will give the rims abit of flair so that they wont be tooo hidden and un-obvious from the car. Got some gunmetal lugs too so that will help abit as well.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Just dropped the rims off at the powdercoater.. Pretty stoked, went with a metallic silver that should come out fairly glossy.. Reminisant of a oem silver wheel is what I want. Will post pics when I get em back in my posession
solo_ryder

Re: solo_ryder - 1994 MX3 GS-ZE - Update DEC 14 - Powdercoat :)

Post by solo_ryder »

Looky what I gots :)

Now to find some tires... Hmmmm....

P.s. Joe.. Excellent work on the B-Pillar. Very impressed with the quality. Glad I purchased!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Lookin' good man! Can't wait to see all this on the car =P
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

glad you like it... im curious, how close is your wheel finish to the bar ? both are oem wheel finishes and they look almost identical in the pictures
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

That is more or less perfect. Nice work.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

JWMX3 wrote:glad you like it... im curious, how close is your wheel finish to the bar ? both are oem wheel finishes and they look almost identical in the pictures
The bar is a lil darker then the rims. The rims are pretty damn silver, as silver as it gets. It woulda been nice to have the wheels the color of the bar, but its very close. The gloss is about the same as far as I can see.
wytbishop wrote:That is more or less perfect. Nice work.
Thanks! :D
runnerma
antispam: No

Re: solo_ryder - 1994 MX3 GS-ZE - Update! Oct 9th

Post by runnerma »

solo_ryder wrote:@ mooneggs, those arent HDR pics, I just use a addon program in photoshop to modify the pictures. :wink:
May I ask what addon is that? I like very much your mx :D

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”