Marco's '95GS - Budget restoration, then LPG conversion?

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
marcdh

Re: Marco's '95GS-TURBO :D 5 Stud conversion! + SSR Type C r

Post by marcdh »

About time I updated this!

Car is currently off the road. After two years of night classes, exams and interviews I got into university to study Dentistry :D In 4.5 years time I will be a lot better off and finally will have a garage to work in :lol:

Unfortunately due to the course being so intensive it leaves little time to make money, which is why my car is currently off the road. That along with paying my fees.

However I am battling against the rust with the intention of running LPG with NA KLZE. Petrol is around £1.30 a litre here now, that's $7.94 for you US folks. LPG is around 70p a litre, so almost like your price of 'gas' ;) Both sills are rotten. Wheel arches are doing their best. I've started with the rear subframe. The caged nuts that mount the trailing arms to the body have of course rusted and spun out. I'll worry about that later, it's too cold outside to be welding under the car.

I've removed the rear subframe, surprisingly easy! Currently removing all rust. I've removed all bushings and shells via burning out and splitting the shells, so no press required :) I will finally get the wytbusings in. I will be redoing all brake lines with copper and goodridge braided lines.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Marco's '95GS - Budget restoration, then LPG conversion?

Post by Daninski »

Your one of a kind for sure. Becoming a dentist and still working on the old axe. :2thumbsup: My buddy is a dentist and he won't do anything labour like at all. Says he can't afford to hurt his hands. True story.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm glad to know what happened to you. You seem like such a nice guy.. It's hard to imagine you causing so much fear and pain. Have you seen "Little Shop of Horrors"?
Grinding away all that rust will give you skills against plaque.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Daninski wrote:Your one of a kind for sure. Becoming a dentist and still working on the old axe. :2thumbsup: My buddy is a dentist and he won't do anything labour like at all. Says he can't afford to hurt his hands. True story.
:) I'm looking forward to being able to have a garage to work in! I'll be doing more tinkering than ever :D
fowljesse wrote:I'm glad to know what happened to you. You seem like such a nice guy.. It's hard to imagine you causing so much fear and pain. Have you seen "Little Shop of Horrors"?
Grinding away all that rust will give you skills against plaque.
Haha yes Jesse yeeeeears ago but I must see it again for inspiration :twisted: I'll be a nice dentist, there to make the pain go away not create it!

VICTORY on one :)
-lots of heat
-grinded a thin slit 360 degrees where the nut had rust welded to the arm
-hammered
-put the 14mm middle in the VICE, spanner = fail
-massive wrench on the locking nuts then flat of the arm and voila! All freed up :)

Now this one is tricky, threads will be cleaned up first with a dremel thin cutting disc before further attempts on the locking nut. The alignment/tyre shop failed to free up any of these, so I'm happy to be making any progress.

After this one the assembly should be much easier. I did have to chop one link bolt though :( I'm going to see if my 323 gtx rear subframe has a compatible bolt to steal, as that projects not happening for a while!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

Great job. I've been dreading the same project on my car. 8)
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Thanks very much :) I've got them bathing in some rust removing solution before they get the POR-15 treatment.
View Worklog
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

marcdh wrote:Thanks very much :) I've got them bathing in some rust removing solution before they get the POR-15 treatment.
Automatic transmission fluid actually works very well if you can submerge parts in it, its loaded with cleaners and such that help free stuff up
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Everything is freed up :-) now got most parts painted with por-15 with additional help from my lovely Gf! Looking forward to reassembling lovely clean painted parts with the wytbushings.

View Worklog
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Oh man I cant wait to do this VERY project. I hope the por 15 really protects long term. If I had the tools/ time I wouldnt mind doing this every 10 years or so I guess. How lon did it take you? Good work!
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

what all was needed for the disty delete, coilpack obviously and a 36-1 crank pulley from what i'm reading. is there a write up anywhere?
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Coil pack and mount
megasquirt with coil pack wasted spark set up
Blind cap for hole
36-1 klg4 pulley or dual trigger via leaving part of disty.

Probe talk would have the most info
View Worklog

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”