SmoothMX3 - 93 MX3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
onlytrueromeo

Re: SmoothMX3 - 93 MX3 GS

Post by onlytrueromeo »

WHy are u up so early lol

workin on ur car at 5am...that's commitment! :lol:
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I've got the Oil light issue, an unknown plug issue, which I think goes to the back of the tranny, which is not plugged up and cant find anywhere to plug it. Also, I have the weird noise issue. Care to help?

Hell, you are up everytime just like I am at this same time. If you didn't live so far away, I'd getcha to lend a hand for a beer or 6.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Care to elaborate on the plug issue? And that metal noise you're referring to at startup - can you determine where in the engine bay it is coming from? Might be best to have someone try to start the car while youre pokin your head in the engine bay looking for it...and does this only happen on cold startup or is it all the time?
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I found that clacking noise issue... It was just the starter turning over when I first turn it over.
This plug that I can't find where it goes has like black mesh covering over the wires. That may not help at all, but I was just throwing it out there. It's a wire coming from the bottom. It's probally the rear 02 sensor, which I havent checked for sure if it is or not, or it's either those wires coming from the back of the tranny. I'll try and see where its coming from tomorrow.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Oh, those plugs annoyed the hell out of me - I didn't label anything in my engine bay and it was a PITA. If you can get a picture of the plug and can trace it back to where it is goin, we should be able to figure out what it goes to! Could be EGR related too if its at the back of the engine.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Okay...My shifter fail threw. It's like sitting on my exhaust right now. haha
Where can I buy that thing you guys buy to hold it up???
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

search for "Anti Drop Bracket". the guy who makes them posted in that thread pretty recently.

The plugs at the back of the engine are...O2 which is screwed into the rear header so you'll know it right away. It plugs into the wire harness at the rear driver's side corner of the rear head. It is a real pain to get hooked up. The Tranny neutral switch is screwed into the tranny above the half shaft CV joint. It gets routed over the tranny and plugs in to the harness up by the thermostat housing somewhere. The EGR valve is bolted to the back of engine on the driver's side. the 2 EGR solenoids are below the TB sort of. I didn't connect mine on the ZE and I doubt you have them any more either. there is an electrical plug that goes into the EGR valve though it could be that one. it doesn't need to be plugged in if you don't have any EGR system. The 2 VRIS solenoids are back there...but I think you'd know if it was one of them.

My bet is either rear O2 or neutral.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

I pulled my codes and it gave me these numbers.

5.) Knock Sensor.
6.) Vehicle Speed Sensor.
6.) Air Flow Meter (MX-3 1.8L).
8.) Air Flow Meter.
9.) Water Thermo Sensor.

I think I also may be throwing code number 1, But I might not. It had a long blink, then came another long blink. Maybe that just meant it was starting over? - On the list of trouble codes it listed 2 for the number 6 code. I'm guessing it's the one that says 'Air Flow Meter (MX-3 1.8L)'. I don't know where the knock sensor is, but I think I may have an idea which plug it is. Which if it is this plug I'm thinking about, the ground on it is broken in half. I'm throwing the Air Flow Meter code, which is my VAF. I'm running the KL02 VAF with the KL01 ECU. Think I should ditch the KL02 and try the stock mx-3 VAF? - Water Thermo Sensor? - I have no idea where this is and why it's throwing a code. Also, My oil light is still on, but I do have oil in it. It's not throwing a code either. Help?
My car is still making that weird noise and I can't find exactly where it's coming from. My power steering is still leaking but I can have that taken care of pretty easy.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Put the JE50 VAF in there and reset the ECU and see if that code goes away. I think it will.

The knock sensor is in the valley between the cylinder banks. On my ZE it was routed to the tranny side but the plug in the K8 harness is on the timing side so I re-routed it. It's a 2 wire sensor. You'll know it cuz it's the only wires that disappear under the IM.

The water thermo sensor is also on the coolant filler neck on the timing side of the engine. I don't know what year your car is or what year your engine is, but you may be experiencing the common "short one temp sensor" issue. The ECU expects to see 3 but your new engine only has 2.

Did you replace the oil pump? If I had replaced my oil pump and the oil light was on I'd be super nervous. Mind you it's a used engine, so it's not crazy to think that it lacks oil pressure. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's possible. It's also possible that the oil pressure sender wire is not attached. It comes off the harness at the alternator. It's also possible that your oil pressure sender is toast.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE OIL PRESSURE!!! DO NOT ASSUME YOU HAVE OIL PRESSURE BECAUSE YOU KNOW THERE'S OIL IN IT!!!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Ok... I'll work on it tomorrow and get back with you. thanks for the help.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”