SmoothMX3 - 93 MX3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
onlytrueromeo

Re: SmoothMX3 - 93 MX3 GS

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Paperclip in the diag. box on the driver side of the engine bay in the pins GND and TEN...make sure its in those pins before you turn the car on. Then turn the car on, loosen disty bolts and get a timing light. Locate the timing marks and make sure the car is ~ 10 BTDC. (should be the big line). You can advance to 11 or 12 degrees safely as well, but it sounds like you're at 16+. You may have to readjust the idle. Google "how to time an engine" if you need further help with it.

Avoid revving the engine much until your problems are sorted...also for timing to properly work, the engine has to be warmed up and must be idling under 1k rpms. When it is all timed, pull the paperclip and let the car run for another minute or so, this should set the ECU.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Ok... this is getting to be a pain in the arse.
I've bled and bled and switched slave cylinders. It's not getting tight.
We bled it for alittle while and it got tight like it's supposed to be, then we done it a few more times, and it got back to where it wasnt tight. we then thought something was wrong with the slave cylinder and changed it out with another used one and now it's still not tight after bleeding is numerous of times. whats going on?... am i doing something wrong???
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

ITS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, My ZE swap is officially done. I've taken it down the road and it's pretty quick.
It really feels like it's suppose to be faster. Like, it starts off beast in first gear, but then feels like it's not fully opening up. I'm glad i didn't change the clutch. It feels stronger then my brand new spec 2 clutch I had on my zx2. It feels so strong, it feels something like a 6 puck maybe. Oh yea... Everytime I let off the clutch to go in like first gear, it was trying to catch a wheel, im guessing cause the clutch is the way it is. Of course acouple times of feeling it trying to catch a wheel, I had to give in. I revved to about 3, maybe alittle over and let go of the clutch pedal. You guys were right, you can burn a tire. Matter of fact, if I didn't ease off the gas, it would have just sat there and burned my tires right off. Do you guys think cause of me not having the ecu chipped, is why it feels like it's lacking power?
Jordan, thanks amillion bro. If you didn't help me, I doubt I would have ever gotten it done.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

VRIS will not function properly on unchipped K8 ecu.

Also, check to make sure your VRIS system is hooked up right anyway.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

It should be hooked up right. Only thing that be causing it to not work right is those 2 connector plugs, right? ... I havent messed with anything else. I just hook up those two, right?... its hooked up, what else??
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Plus the vacuum hoses, and the check valve the right way around. Put it in diagnostics mode with a paperclip, then turn key to ON and you should hear the VRIS actuators clack. They work a few times just from the vacuum in those plastic boxes under the intake runners. Or just start the car and have someone watch. Or just rev it at the TB and watch!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Maybe that's the loud clacking noise i hear everything I start the car. sounds like hitting something metal and hollow with like a wrench or something. I thought that was the start making that sound. are those chips on ebay any good.. the eprom ones for klze mx-6's?
i want to get a chip, but i heard it takes forever getting one from probinator.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ya, wait til the engine warms up and have someone rev it to 4500 or so to see if the first one opens. If you're not getting airleaks, thats good.

Are you running stock exhaust? That could cause some restriction and make you lose a noticeable amount of power, esp. if your cat is on the way out. It won't make it feel slow as heck tho in all other gears but first.

Don't get ebay chips.

VRIS should not make alot of noise...the metal pieces that touch don't SLAM into each other and are small.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Well my ze doesn't really feel fast. it feels pretty quick, like a nice upgrade from the K8, but nothing like I was told it is suppose to feel. I wanted my head to get pushed back. I thought maybe I could keep up with my bro inlaws gsr civic hatch, but ... it will burn me alive. how do i see if the actuators open for the vris? is it like visable to the eye??
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Okay... The Vris isn't working. I don't know why it's not working, and don't know what's wrong with it.
What I did was turn the key over to on and I heard nothing at all. I googled it and that's how I read to see if it works or not. At the end of each gear when riding, It feels just flat, like it's lacking something, and I think the vris is what its lacking.

Also, I can't drive the car right now because I have a huge power steering leak. I filled the power steering up, and turned the car on. I then moved the wheel back and fourth and It made a god awful noise, like something was rubbing together really bad or like it's despratly out of power steering fluid. I guess it was my power steering belt that was also making a weird noise, which I guess that's due to not having any power steering fluid in it.
I've tried stopping this leak twice now. What to do now?!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Well first find where its leaking. Check hoses and disconnect line from pump, then reconnect making sure it seals.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

The way I checked if my VRIS is working, is put zip ties against the solinoids, so when they actuated, they pushed the zip ties out a few mm.
Having it chipped for your setup will free up some HP.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Okay.. lmao...
Vris is working ... for sure.
I don't know what I've done, but it's quick...
Like, REALLY QUICK!
All I've done was fix that leak and change the vris connector thing.
Anyways... It's pretty damn fast now. I get up to 60mph in like no time. I change to second gear and burn rubber. Man it feels good feel my head pulled back by the torque.
All I have to say now is WOW.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Oh... I forgot, I just took my wife with a ride with me for the first time since the swap. I started off in first and she looked at me crazy because I could barely get going because of the clutch being the way it was... (I just gotta get used to a clutch that grabs like that) ... I went slow in first gear going down the road and i said "it's fast huh?" ... she kinda smirked at me and then I let it rip... I pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor and all I see is her head pressing back towards my nice looking stock mx-3 bucket seats. I then said "its fast, aint it" ... all I hear was "omg blake slow down god dammit" - PERFECT!

I get an A+ in my opinion!
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Okay... My Oil is filled up to full. In my car the oil light is staying on for some reason... can anyone help?!

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”