1.6 SOHC alternator upgrade 90amp to 110 amp PLUG QUESTION

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Re: 1.6 SOHC alternator upgrade 90amp to 110 amp PLUG QUESTI

Post by wednesdayslatest »

so i did the mod but instead of putting it 12v switch to the cig i put it to the cig illumination idk why but both wires going into that are hot so obviously there is a short somehow the bracket just broke so i never used it.

when i put my lights on (first click) my battery light comes on for a second then goes away. i dont know if its just i need a bigger battery. the one the book says is a little smaller then the one i used to have in there i just dont know which one it was.

also i have to adjust my throttle because im getting a little idle drop maybe a little more air will keep it stable...

i have a SOHC so the bracket was a little big of a pain in the a--. the other positive terminal had to be changed too but the bracket only let me adjust the alternator tension so far so i needed to really pull the belt over ever with the pulley but once it was in it was nice but that bracket should be mentioned for the SOHC

everything else seems great better then i expected its a lot smoother i hear like a ringing almost or somthing else i think it might just be the alternator power or maybe the ralco pulley i put on there. almost sounds maybe like forced air induction but who knows i got a leak in my exhaust and the 02 sensor is bad i still need to change the exhaust

thanks a lot tho this is a good mod now i need to get the 4ch amp hooked up
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

If you hook it up to the illumination then it should only come on while your interior lights are on...

It is normal for the batt light to be on at start up and then should turn off, this is what that extra wire does. With it not hooked up it would stay on. The whining noise could be feedback because of how you hooked it up, or the bushings could be going out. The place you went to to get the plug can order you all the parts necessary to rebuilt it as well. Also check that your belt tension is not too tight, that can also cause a whine.
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Post by wednesdayslatest »

like i said i think theres some kind of short because both wires for the cig lighter illumination are hot. one should be a ground.

yeah my thought was that its not really a 12v where i hooked it up thats why the battery lite came on for like a split second only when i put the parking lamps on first. the hid when i turn them on. no problem. its brighter i like it. i could test out the cig lighter positive to see how it reacts differently i just dont have the materials to do it maybe one day ill check it out see if anything is different.

well if i got a beefer battery like i used to have when i first got the car my thought is that it will be a big enough charge in it to withstand it. i figure cuz it goes on for a split second and turns off that it does support it but it goes under the threshold so the light turns on. as you said thats what the extra wire does its draining from the battery. i mean it COULD be just the fact of where i hooked it up or the battery or maybe thats just what it does because its modded but i think im going to try to get a bigger battery when i need to swap mine out see how that works. i do have the horn and fan on switches along with the power windows and cluster (its a shitshow i need to fix) so i figure its just because of how i have everything hooked up.

oh and i tested the illumination both wires are hot when i turn the key in on mode so i just went from what the wires are (if theres another place under the hood i could tie the wire into that will save me a little wire material i just dont know where all the wires run and their color codes)

illl listen to it again today it sounds good i dont think its the bushing its brand new and i got the performance pulley on there its not really like a static like when i hook up my ipod to the cig port and go aux in i hear the static from the car in the speakers. theres somthing that i can hook up somewhere to stop that idk what or where but my saad had one factory installed and i never heard anything. and the belt tension is perfect. to begin with there is barly any play you really gotta pull that belt over. i think the pulley i have on there even though its performance its slightly bigger with the circumference but it still works fine.

i do have a k N n performance air filter on there it could be that i dont know but i do need to get the intake done over with a VAF and metal pipe the only thing that sucks is that i need to have the pipe custom bent id rather just buy it then assemble it myself without having to do anything else smh. i guess thats the price i pay for getting a car thats so rare. at least i dont got these honda people stealing parts off my car like they do to everyone else lol
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”