Battery Relocation

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Battery Relocation

Post by MrMazda92 »

If you are looking for solid wire for a battery relocation, try checking out a BMW at a local junkyard...

I'm not sure exactly which models offer rear mounted batteries, but I yanked ~10 or so feet of beefy charge wire from a Beamer at a local yard. They only charged me $5 for it, since I snagged a bunch of other crap as well.

Certainly beats paying out the nose for it elsewhere... a little de-greaser to clean it up, and good as knew.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Several 80's Audis and Saabs also have the battery under the rear seat. They would also have a good quality battery cable worth scavenging.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

If you can find a crashed police car (or could be a regular) Charger has the battery in the trunk as well.

I went to get some wire for my trunk system in the Mx-3 for the 1500w inverter and in Midlothian Virginia I went around all the car audio shops and no one had 0/1 gauge, no one. One place suggested to go to this one marine shot and they did have it. No price listed, and I didn't know there was a special marine grade wire, but when I checked out, it was $9/ft, and I almost had a heart attach. Regular 0 gauge isn't that expensive, I don't remember the price but I picked up a few feet for the dual-battery in the truck last year, it wasn't bad at all.

I've seen it too many times with a relocation in an Mx-3, where they used sub-par wiring and they had to use jumper cables from the battery in the trunk to the terminals under the hood to be able to start their car. It's kinda ironic if you ask me to have to self-boost yourself...

Some people call me crazy cause I like to use 0awg, but I'd rather go a little overboard (it's not overkill, just maybe 1 size up for recommended), but I like a nice, proper and reliable electrical system. You always head about "the big 3" upgrade. And people adding extra grounding and such around the bay and the engine. It helps.

(You can't see but the right battery also has side posts, which also uses a 0awg ground to suppliment the factory one on top)

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

When I did mine I scoured the internet and found 0Ga 600strand wire in red and black for a good price...well comparatively good. SUPER high quality stuff for about half what it cost locally.

You can find good deals.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”