0 spark.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
davmac

Re: 0 spark.

Post by davmac »

Not necessary to run a wire to the mounting hole of the GM HEI module. Just ground the back of the module to a bracket. Check out the old write up for some advice here.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

You've HEI'd it?

That introduces a whole whack of other things. The modules are easy to come by used (any GM in the era) and cheap new. Try that. As far as I know there's no way to test them.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

yaah i thought i should mention that haha. im ordering one right now, is there any specific vehicle i should get one for? and i had a thought on how this all started. the spark stopped before, but then would start eventually. and then it wouldnt at all, so i did the gm module mod, it started first try no problem and started multiple times after that for that night. then the next day i went to start it and when it started it like STRUGGLED to get running. like it turned over and fired but fired verrryyy horribly, i had to start pumpin the gas to get the revs goin then after i did that it ran nice but after i got back from my drive that was the last it ever started. it hasnt sparked since. if that directs you to a problem? idunno. thanks!
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

kk ordered a 4 prong module from a 1979 caprice classic. part# DR100. hope thats right. now the waiting game starts -.-
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Hello again. k well got the module today, it was the right one and everything. wired it up just like the guide. with my ground and everything properly done. but still.. no spark. i tried 2 different distys and 2 different modules. i used brand new wire/connectors for both module swaps and tried both distys, they both worked and functioned properly. injectors r firing and fuel pump turns on.
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Back when I didn't have any tools or self respect :? My car wouldn't start. I had it towed to a mechanic and after he replaced the fuel pump..he found it was a faulty coil. It had no spark...so maybe it's your coil, seeing how you've replaced most of the usual culprits.

Hope you get it sorted out soon!!
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Get a multimeter out and start probing. Check for continuity where there should be then start checking voltages.
Are you getting 12v to your coil ok?
Grounds making good contact?
Are you getting the signal fromt the ecu to trigger your ignition module ok? 5v IIRC
At what point is the signal failing?

I take it you've checked for CEL codes?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

okay dokes. dunno about the 12v to the coil. but i know the grounds are perfect and im pretty sure i am getting the signal because before i wired up the hei module and it was running good and ran good all night while cruisen, then the next day i went and tried to start it and it wouldnt start. and yah ive checked and my cel hasnt came on at all.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

also question, if im ordering a new crank angle sensor, should i order one for a millenia 2.5L or one for a k8? and ignition coil. thats the thing between the disty cap and the metal half of it right? just checkin becauseeeeee. could i just order a external blaster 2 coil and wire that up? would it by pass the disty coil? sorry if these questions r dumb.. im new to the whole electrical game.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

okay well i pulled my crank angle sensor off and check the wire.. it was seriously about 3/4 of a foot missing the rubber/ground in it.. so im guessing this is my problem all along.... if anyones seen inside the crank angle sensor wire, its like 2 wires with the 3rd as the ground but the ground goes into the rubber then opens up and wraps around the green n red wire. so stupid.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Okay, went and got a new KL01 crank angle sensor. didnt fix my problem. still no spark. but my rpm gauge will spike to 2k realllllyy quickly then drop to 0 but no start or even a hint of spark. heres what ive done.

All done with spark tester n multimeter.

replaced Crank angle Sensor - no spark
checked for spark out of cable - no spark
checked all wiring and fuses - good still no spark
tried a 2nd ecu - no spark
tried a 2nd module - no spark
tried a 2nd disty but i dont think it was the right one. the 5 and 6 wire ports were backwards from my original one... so that doesnt really count?
tried for spark straight from cap - no spark.
tried to see if there was spark from the coil - no spark UNTILL i LET OFF the key. yah LET OFF and it sparks for a sec.
test fuel pump - ON and circulating
test injectors n everything to do with fuel - tip top.
please help. going on 2 weeks with no spark. :'( i miss my mx!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Un-do your HEI and put in a known working disty. A new one doesn't count as known working.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

The HEI module is what will make my car start, in the first place my ignition module went, so i wired up a HEI. if i take it off.. im stuck with no ignition module. and i dont know anyone that has a "known" working disty. ima just order a ignition coil.

EDIT: My disty was working tip top the night i wired up the HEI, ran/drove awesome, also shut it off and started it multiple times just to keep checking if it would stop starting, and it didnt all night, then the next day it wouldnt start.. :shrug:
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

Okay here. My cousin ended up having another extra REAL GM module i could try out. gunna go see if this module will fix the sparking problem. if it does then i know its just cooking modules... idunno exactly what to do to fix this? but i got some white heat s--- to put on the back. what else would cause less stress? a blaster 2 coil? reason im trying this is because i wired up a real gm module the first time and it fixed the problem. but only for a night.. and when the problem started again i ordered a 21 dollar rock auto module...and it didnt fix it. I DONT KNOW! URG HELP PLEASE! JUST LIST EVERYTHING THAT IT COULD BE! ill go through the list and trouble shoot. i hate electrical stuff so much that im willing to part ways with this car already.. so that being said, if someone wants to deal with this.. 3500 and shes yours. Saskatoon sasktchewan canada.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Replace the disty. The ECM still sends spark signal from the hall effect sensors in the distributor. HEI is only a fix for 1/4 of the failing components.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”