Can I have my Mx3 jacked down with tires w/o axels?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
xSocialx

Re: Can I have my Mx3 jacked down with tires w/o axels?

Post by xSocialx »

My bad lol

Though this was a joke, i read it as if you would be driving.

It was late ok!
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

wytbishop wrote:
stereoking15 wrote:
wytbishop wrote:Marc is smart. Without the axel stubs in the wheel bearing is supporting the entire weight of the car without the help of the axels to stabilize them. If you leave it like that for any length of time, like more than a few hours, it will destroy the bearings.
The lower ball joint is supporting the weight along with the strut and spring, the wheel bearing is held in via snap ring and has no load capabilities and has nothing to do with holding vehicle weight
Hold an empty hub in your left fist. Now have someone else hold your hand in their two hands. Your hand is the wheel bearing. Their hands are the steering knuckle. Imagine a wheel is bolted to the hub in your fist and is resting on the gorund. Now imagine that a quarter of a car is on top of your friends hands...which are enclosing your hand. All of that weight is being translated through the wheel bearing...your hand. This is the reason that the car uses a double roller design. Because the reaction force imparted on the wheel by the ground is slightly off center and tends to try to rotate the hub slightly in the spindle. It is also why the offest of the rim is so important. Decreasing the offset of the rim moves the line of action of that reaction force farther from the centerline of the bearing increasing that twisting action on the bearing.

The axel helps to resist that twisting by stabilizing the bearing. Without it, the weight of the car will eventually damage the bearing.
The wheel is bolted to the hub which is pressed into the bearing, the bearing is pressed into the knuckle and also held in by a snap ring. The stub portion of the axle goes through the bearing by about 2 1/2 inches and splines into the hub.

Lets look at this as the rear wheel bearing on an mx3 there are no splines and it is also a dual roller bearing style and that thing is just fine with no axle so I dont know why your friends bearing got buggered other then any car with over 60k on the bearings are probably going to need replacement, i know some people go 200k on bearing but usually not the best practice.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

stereoking15 wrote: The lower ball joint is supporting the weight along with the strut and spring, the wheel bearing is held in via snap ring and has no load capabilities and has nothing to do with holding vehicle weight
^^^This statement is incorrect. That's all I'm saying here. Yes the load is transmitted through the spindle to the strut but 100% of the weight of hte car is supported by the four wheel bearings. Think of it another way. Say you had a car with no wheel, no brakes, no axel and no hub. Just sitting with a spindle and an empty bearing. You walk along and stick a broom handle through the bearing and hold hte corner of the car up. You're lifting the car with that broom handle and all of that force is supported by the bearing.

Look at the rear wheel bearing again. There is an axel, but it's part of the spindle. The hub and bearing assembly slide over it and are retained the same way as the front. And it has the same problem being slightly of center from the centerline of the wheel. The difference is that you can't bolt a wheel on the back without the bearing and axel being in place so that bearing is always supported as well as it can be.

I understand your point. The front system is designed so that the center line of the wheel is as close as possible to the center line of the bearing for exactly this reason. So that there will be as little torque on the axis of the bearing as possible. but there is some. I've modeled it and I've also just finished replacing my front right three times in the last 2 months. As the bearing wears more and more you can see the camber of the wheel increase.

If the middle of the bearing was on the exact same plane as the center of the wheel this would not be a problem at all.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

xSocialx wrote:My bad lol

Though this was a joke, i read it as if you would be driving.

It was late ok!
LMAO that would have been funny tho

"Can I still drive my car with out CV axels?"
:lol:

Reply: "yes, but a good portion of your atf/ gear oil will come out"
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

lol I'm glad you see how I saw it after a few brews.

HAHA! It made sense cause it sounded like a harmless joke post with a harmless joke reply bahah

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”