New coilover system on the cheap

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: New coilover system on the cheap

Post by kulluminati777 »

I COPIED THIS REVIEW FROM www.honda-tech.com

yea so i got these coilovers in and installed them on a 4dr integra

the quality and looks of it was great

but there was the down side
things i did not like

the ride was stiff, harsh , bouncy, even when i changed the dampening, it wasnt the best, you could hardly feel a difference

the ride hieght adjustability isnt as of those omni powers/ff2
at full slam/lowering it brings it to just above the tire, if not on it

out of the box you must re-tighten the top pillowmount on the hat, otherwise that s--- will fall apart on you, and preload if u want the coil

ive had full coilovers before and installed them before it just has been years since ive had them

the ride quality isnt wat i was expecting, if i hit a bump, it would hit hardd and with the pillow mounts it would make a loud a-- thud, like something droped and hit HARD
which is a no no,

when accelerating it would be a wee bit bouncy so the car would bouncy and my foot would fly off the gas pedal, and make it rev funny like i cant drive a 5spd
and if going at high speed's it makes you want to fly off the road and yes i have good alignment at the time

maybe i did not install them correctly, but im pretty sure i did

if i were yall i would just stay away from these coilovers, even for the price

the next cheapest thing to this is going to be the Skunk2 pro-s coilovers which ride a ton of a lot better, id reccomend those for the price

sorry for my jacked up grammer/spelling
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Looking at them, that would be my fear with them. those springs are quite large
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Mooneggs wrote:Yeah Josh is right, the sway bars are more of a minty flat green whereas the struts were like a lime shiny green. The specs are all in Japanese! :crying:

Blake I had not seen that link before... that makes me want to get one of those front swaybars just to see if it would fit... 24mm is super beefy though! :o
I know how you feel, believe me! I saw it and was shocked. I hadn't heard of half the whiteline products listed...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Just tossing in with the swaybar conversation....

If you're still rocking an open differential, I wouldn't upgrade the front, stock will be perfectly fine. Upgrading it is always hit and miss, some people disconnect them, some people upgrade, both with good and bad results... I guess I suggest giving it a try if you're really curious :)

The rear bar is a good idea for everyone. Stiffening up the rear helps with the understeer issue, and gives you a bit more control if you know what you're doing (throttle steering, left foot braking)

Also, don't get sold on soild sway bars. What a sway bar does is resist torsion through what they call a polar moment of inertia.

For a filled circle I = (pi/4)*(r^4)
That is, its a function of the radius raised to the fourth power.

For a hollow tube, I = (pi/64)*(Do^4 - Di^4)
Do is outside dia, Di is inside. Note that you can derive the first equation from the second if you plug in Di = 0 and Do = 2r.

Now, to see this effect, lets make two imaginary bars that have the same mass, that is, the same cross sectional area.

a 22mm solid sway bar has area = pi(r^2) = 3.801e-4m^2.

lets say we have a tube with a sidewall that is 5mm thick..
outside diameter would be 29.2mm and inside diameter 19.2mm Note its wider, that makes sense.

the MOI of the full 22mm bar would be simply I = pi/4 * 0.011^4 = 1.15e-9m^4

the MOI of the hollow bar with the same mass/area is I = pi/64 * (0.0292^4 - 0.019.2^4) = 2.90e-8m^4

That is, the hollow bar, with the same mass, is 2.9/1.15 is two and a half times (actual 2.52x) as rigid as the solid bar.

This is all because the moment of inertia is related to the square of the distance from the neutral axis. The line of molecules that occupy the exact centre of a bar under torsion carry exactly 0 load. The stress in the molecules as you move away from the centre carry load based on the square of their distance from the neutral axis, that is, 1mm away they carry x amount, 2mm away they carry 4x, 3mm away they carry 9x, 4 carry 16x... and so on.

So a company selling a solid bar is honestly fooling you. You'd be happier to have a bigger hollow bar. Solid is just a gimmick, and its way easier to produce solid bars than hollow ;)

Just for curiosity's sake, if we share any bars with other cars stock who may have a bigger hollow bar, I'd like to compare their strength with the Whiteline one... see if we're getting ripped off or not :) Of course material and age affect it too... but lets see if Whiteline actually did some R&D.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”