Just about to buy my first MX3, Questions!!!!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: Just about to buy my first MX3, Questions!!!!

Post by mikeinaus »

heh my car was around 125-140psi on all cylinders with no pressure on number 6. got 6 months out of that motor and probably would have made it even more but swapped with a much nicer k8.
phillswe
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by phillswe »

the problem is that i probably cant test the engine with the compression tester untill after i buy it, but i guess that test gives you an idea of the health of the engine?

so the things ( so far ) i'll be watching at the car:

Suspension
listen for compression while starting the motor at the tail pipe aswell as trying to hear the fuelpump.
look for rust
Sparkplugs

another thing worth noting is that he asks for 920 USD for the car while most mx3s goes for about 2300 USD. now to the point, i'm just a student so any expensive work that has to be done lets say at a garage is out of the question. but small repairs i hope to manage myself with some help from you guys here att mx3 forum.

so the compression test of the cylinders "rules out" major repairs?
any other things to check easily to avoid these expensive repairs?

once again, sorry for my lack of english
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

worst case scenario, you can do almost every repair possible with a $50 tool set.

you forgot, in your list, to pull a plug wire and hold it close to a ground. ANY spark rules out distributor.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

Ryan wrote:worst case scenario, you can do almost every repair possible with a $50 tool set.

you forgot, in your list, to pull a plug wire and hold it close to a ground. ANY spark rules out distributor.

is that true? i thought failing distys could give spark and run fine until heated up, then take a dump and not start the car until they cool down again?

if there not willing to let you do a compression test id probably pass on the car, unless everything else was in really good shape. compression tells you the internal health of the motor (for the most part). compression test are easy to do and can be done within 5 minutes. it also gives you a chance to inspect the spark plugs. buying a non running car with no idea of what shape the motor is in is a gamble. yes the fuel pump could be dead, but he could also know the motor is shot and say its just the fuel pump to unload the car...
phillswe

Post by phillswe »

mikeinaus wrote:
if there not willing to let you do a compression test id probably pass on the car, unless everything else was in really good shape. compression tells you the internal health of the motor (for the most part). compression test are easy to do and can be done within 5 minutes. it also gives you a chance to inspect the spark plugs. buying a non running car with no idea of what shape the motor is in is a gamble. yes the fuel pump could be dead, but he could also know the motor is shot and say its just the fuel pump to unload the car...
Thats what im worried about!

But i've got so much help from you guys its awesome!

i have one more question though, how do you do the compression test?
i saw a compression tester and by the looks of it you basicly put it where a spark plug i supposed to sit and then use the starter?

Here's the compression tester:
http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/Verkt ... re-bensin/

a walktrough would be nice! thanks!

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just talked to the guy and the car has already been sold!

so i'd like to thank all of you who gave me all these advises, they will come handy when the next mx3 shows up on sale
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

mikeinaus, you're right, distys can fire when cold when in the process of failing, but thats a relatively shot period of time until they're dead dead. And if it sparks when cold, that wouldn't cause the no-start.

Good luck finding another MX to check out.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”