Master window switch for 92 mx-3

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Master window switch for 92 mx-3

Post by MrMazda92 »

ethand wrote:well my '92 has the auto function... I think it had to do with location/spec of the model, perhaps??
Although, mine is hardly the upspec version - it has no sunroof or leather...
Is this carbon from the sparking possible on both controlls? My passenger side one is not working at the moment. It works from the drivers side, but not the passengers own controller...
I'll do a search now, see if I can find anything... If I do, I'll come back and delete this question!! :D
I'll try to find an auto one eventually I think, I'm not too worried about it though.

Hmm, does it make any noise or movement at all? Or just sits there as if you are doing nothing?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
ethand
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by ethand »

I havent listened for noises yet, but I just remembered that it occasionally does work going down, but never up.... mostly it just sits there and doesnt move, though...
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

ethand wrote:I havent listened for noises yet, but I just remembered that it occasionally does work going down, but never up.... mostly it just sits there and doesnt move, though...
But it works from the driver's side? Weird.:/ It sounds like the switch itself is broken, as opposed to wiring(You seem to have come to this conclusion already), otherwise it would likely not work up OR down...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
ethand

Post by ethand »

yeah, I thought it must be something to do with the switch itself. It works perfectly from the driver's side, and it will ocasionally go down from the passenger switch, but never up and it only goes down very rarely from the passenger side, usually only part way before stopping again...
I've meant to look into fixing it for ages, but havent ever gotten round to taking it apart... i might try that this weekend.
If its the build up of carbon from sparking, is that easily visable? where would i find this??
cheers :)
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

this is uncharted territory for me.. never seen a passenger side go bad, though it certainly sounds like that's what's going on here. i couldn't even help you with the disassembly having never had occasion to do so. it does sound like it's not making good contact on the actual PS switch -- whether that's from carbon buildup or something physically broken can't be determined until you get in there
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

ninjajim4 wrote:this is uncharted territory for me.. never seen a passenger side go bad, though it certainly sounds like that's what's going on here. i couldn't even help you with the disassembly having never had occasion to do so. it does sound like it's not making good contact on the actual PS switch -- whether that's from carbon buildup or something physically broken can't be determined until you get in there
As far as removing the assembly... It's a royal PITA.

Lower the window half way, then unbolt the track from the door.

Then remove the window from the assembly(Nimble hands, without the ability to see from almost any angle!!!)

Then remove the assembly, re-assemble outside the door, and watch for problems.

Also, It's a slow process for a first timer; I've done it 5-6 times now, so at least I've mastered it. :/
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

serious??? geez... that does sound like a PITA haha :/
why do you need to remove the window from the assembly? I thought i'd just be looking at the actual switch itself, wouldnt I?? Just take the inside door skin off, then wouldnt I be able to get the switch out like that? Why's it so much harder than removing the driver's side one? this makes removing the driver's side one sound super easy!! ahhhhhh fml!!! :/
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

MrMazda is talking about the whole motor assembly -- we're having a different convo here.. start with the switch. sounds like you got it handled
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

ethand wrote:serious??? geez... that does sound like a PITA haha :/
why do you need to remove the window from the assembly? I thought i'd just be looking at the actual switch itself, wouldnt I?? Just take the inside door skin off, then wouldnt I be able to get the switch out like that? Why's it so much harder than removing the driver's side one? this makes removing the driver's side one sound super easy!! ahhhhhh fml!!! :/
Sorry, I should have stated that I was referring to the motor problem I had. In your case, remove the door card and the switch pops out from the top.

Also, the Passenger side switch will not work if the driver's side isn't functioning properly; At least on a '92 it won't, I can't speak for other years. Check the DS switch, they fail quite often.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

the window goes up and down perfectly from the driver's side...
Ok, thank God for that!!! SO wasnt looking forward to taking the glass, etc. out... The door card I can handle... on second thoughts, do I even need to take the door card out?? The switch is on the handle, which looks like it might just screw off easily enough, if I can get to the back screw easily enough... I'll post up after trying just now... :)
i love fixing stuff haha
ethand

Post by ethand »

ok, I've nearly dis-assembled the whole thing... I've taken the door card off, and the handle off from that, and the switch assemblle off that, but now I cant get the electrics off the switch itself to check whats wrong... Is there some trick to this???? I want to get to the front of the electrics bit and the back of the switch itself, to see whats wrong... Theres no screws I can see, nor clips to my knowlege... or doesnt this bit come apart??
Cheers!!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

ethand wrote:the window goes up and down perfectly from the driver's side...
Ok, thank God for that!!! SO wasnt looking forward to taking the glass, etc. out... The door card I can handle... on second thoughts, do I even need to take the door card out?? The switch is on the handle, which looks like it might just screw off easily enough, if I can get to the back screw easily enough... I'll post up after trying just now... :)
i love fixing stuff haha
WOAH WOAH WOAH! Do you have a passenger side window lock switch? That is the first thing I would check at this point, I must have missed where you said the DS switch works for it.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

haha yep, I do have the lock switch, but have checked it both ways haha
all good, I've figured out what my problem is - it looks like there was some kind of short or blow out, or maybe something caused by a carbon build-up which partially melted one of the two white plastic cylinders inside the switch. This then made that peice of plastic a few mm's too short, meaning the switch wasnt correctly turning on... the shortened one is pictured (not sure if this helps explain it at all, but hey!)
I've put the door skin back on again so that my car looks half-decent for the next week or so til I can properly work on it/get a new plastic bit for it...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

ethand wrote:haha yep, I do have the lock switch, but have checked it both ways haha
all good, I've figured out what my problem is - it looks like there was some kind of short or blow out, or maybe something caused by a carbon build-up which partially melted one of the two white plastic cylinders inside the switch. This then made that peice of plastic a few mm's too short, meaning the switch wasnt correctly turning on... the shortened one is pictured (not sure if this helps explain it at all, but hey!)
I've put the door skin back on again so that my car looks half-decent for the next week or so til I can properly work on it/get a new plastic bit for it...
Ah, I meant the wiring for the lock switch :P Not flicking it on/off lol.

Good that you figured it out though, its annoying realizing how easy a fix it is after months of frustration huh? Always is to me. ;(
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ethand

Post by ethand »

ah. right. that would make sense lol hahaha
yeah, it is a pain, but I mean, its not like I use the passenger side switch much, and most people who ride in the passenger seat cant usually find the switch anyway lol... I think it's more annoying now that I know how simple the problem is, but I can't fix it yet, and had to put it all back together so I could drive my car (without looking like a bodgey dude) this week till I can get to a wrecker or something... :/
Thanks a stack for your help, though!! I'll post up when I get it fixed!!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”