JUST got a K8-ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Re: JUST got a K8-ZE

Post by hgallegos915 »

To remove the engine pulley I always out a crow bar and start the car up and it comes loose. This only works with engine installed of course. Why are you removing the pulley?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mikeetown
antispam: No

Post by mikeetown »

In-case you didn't know,

A K8-ZE can! output 144 hp. The only problem is, you need to have a 1994 and up Mazda mx3 because you need OBDII in your car. Also, you need an ECU from a Japanese 1996 and up mx3 (Uenos or whatever it is), then you can output that amount of power. Stock, a K8-ZE with OBDI and an original ECU will output 135HP at 6600 rpm approximately because of a higher redline at 7500RPM and probably cause of a few other minor differences. It pretty much is a K8-DE but with a more advanced ECU controlling it.

i hope that clears questions. I researched it on here and around the internet. If u have a j-spec 1996 + ecu tell me cause i want one.
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ya, you might be looking closer to a 96 ecu. Late 95 and in 96 were obdii. You'll need the wiring harness as well.
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

I"m removing the pulley to replace the timing belt, change the seal behind it as well.
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

I"m removing the pulley to replace the timing belt, change the seal behind it as well.
mikeetown
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mikeetown wrote:In-case you didn't know,

A K8-ZE can! output 144 hp. The only problem is, you need to have a 1994 and up Mazda mx3 because you need OBDII in your car. Also, you need an ECU from a Japanese 1996 and up mx3 (Uenos or whatever it is), then you can output that amount of power. Stock, a K8-ZE with OBDI and an original ECU will output 135HP at 6600 rpm approximately because of a higher redline at 7500RPM and probably cause of a few other minor differences. It pretty much is a K8-DE but with a more advanced ECU controlling it.

i hope that clears questions. I researched it on here and around the internet. If u have a j-spec 1996 + ecu tell me cause i want one.
Where did you get this information? Cause I can't find any Eunos Presso/30x that makes that kind of power. All information to 1997-98 lists it as having 99kw (~135hp). Personally by the way you're talking it sounds like you don't have all your ducks in a row and are making assumptions
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

I've been reading on this stuff since November 2009 when i bought the car. I put info from this site and others together after all this time. It just is a lot of work to make a K8-ZE do 144 hp. Doesnt it make sense though;
-ECU from newer mx-3 with more refined settings flashed in
-OBDII to send more refined settings to the engines management
-K8-ZE being altered a bit, having a 7500 rpm redline which probably means it can take in more air. The newer computer probably has better fuel : Air ratio's dialed in.

There might be other things too though. Having no catalytic converter might not have been mentioned when i was reading through. I know this makes a significant gain in all around performance. If you don't agree then try this yo your car. When air care re certifying comes i just bolt my CAT back on.

If i can, i'll post the various links when i run into them, on this discussion. I read interesting articles on this a while back.
mikeetown
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

you might be missing some things here. An OBDII will read O2 before and after the cat. You may throw a code and limp if the readings after the cat are reading the wrong information. You'll need O2 spacers or something to trick the OBDII ECU into thinking there is a cat. This will not be a simple bolt on/unbolt the cat.
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

my car is OBDI. My friend made me a flange for it last february. He welded bolts points on my exhaust, flange and CAT so all i have to do is get my buddy down the road to lift my car and spend a few mins switching it.
mikeetown
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I think you missed the entire point here. If you are using an engine which requires and OBDII ecu -therefore the OBDII wiring harness... everything must work with the ECU. Otherwise you will not have a reliable car. You will need to pull your old harness and replace it with the OBDII harness, which should require extra O2 sensors. It they are not in and working, you have problems.

I am really starting to doubt your research and insight.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mikeetown wrote:I've been reading on this stuff since November 2009 when i bought the car. I put info from this site and others together after all this time. It just is a lot of work to make a K8-ZE do 144 hp. Doesnt it make sense though;
-K8-ZE being altered a bit, having a 7500 rpm redline which probably means it can take in more air. The newer computer probably has better fuel : Air ratio's dialed in.

There might be other things too though. Having no catalytic converter might not have been mentioned when i was reading through. I know this makes a significant gain in all around performance. If you don't agree then try this yo your car. When air care re certifying comes i just bolt my CAT back on.

If i can, i'll post the various links when i run into them, on this discussion. I read interesting articles on this a while back.
Sounds like you're posting assumptions rather than facts. Those links you mention would be really nice to have.

I'm not sure if you mean you're modifing it to make 144hp or tune it to the factory "144" specs, but like I said, I can't find any information saying that the mx-3 made 144hp in stock form.

Indeed as RS said, you have to convert your car to an OBDII Mx3 to accept the 1996+ ECu's, so you'll have to change your wiring harness, which includes extra 02 monitoring sensors. If you want your car to make this "144hp", you need to have EVERYTHING that's part of that system, intact and working.

Secondly, you can't flash an OBDII Mx3 ECU. Yes, it's a much smarter system, but not tunable or programmable.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
mikeetown wrote:I've been reading on this stuff since November 2009 when i bought the car. I put info from this site and others together after all this time. It just is a lot of work to make a K8-ZE do 144 hp. Doesnt it make sense though;

Sounds like you're posting assumptions rather than facts. Those links you mention would be really nice to have.

I'm not sure if you mean you're modifing it to make 144hp or tune it to the factory "144" specs, but like I said, I can't find any information saying that the mx-3 made 144hp in stock form.

Indeed as RS said, you have to convert your car to an OBDII Mx3 to accept the 1996+ ECu's, so you'll have to change your wiring harness, which includes extra 02 monitoring sensors. If you want your car to make this "144hp", you need to have EVERYTHING that's part of that system, intact and working.

Secondly, you can't flash an OBDII Mx3 ECU. Yes, it's a much smarter system, but not tunable or programmable.
No its as u said in your 3rd paragraph. You need EVERYTHING!! which makes it not really worth it for 9 more hp. Some of my stuff are assumptions and some i read in the last year. BUt the stuff i read can also be assumptions from other ppl so lets just say................ when ppl read this topic there will be less confusion and assumption.

It would be nice to have everything though...
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:

No its as u said in your 3rd paragraph. You need EVERYTHING!! which makes it not really worth it for 9 more hp. Some of my stuff are assumptions and some i read in the last year. BUt the stuff i read can also be assumptions from other ppl so lets just say................ when ppl read this topic there will be less confusion and assumption.

It would be nice to have everything though...
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

the distributors cap and rotor dont match in bolt on, design when comparing a K8-DE to a K8-ZE. you have to order a ZE specific cap and rotor for a replacement. its annoying for me cause the motor (k8-ze) came with the distributor cap cracked open.
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

when putting your k8-de intake on this car, you have to re do your vaccume lines cause thers is no EGR valve.

Also, k8-de intake has problems with leaking inside the throttle body. UNtil i figure this out (my car runs like a bag of s---) I'll let you all know how to solve this problem.
mikeetown

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”