K8 ECU on KLZE engine cause car to sputter?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mad Cow

Re: K8 ECU on KLZE engine cause car to sputter?

Post by Mad Cow »

Black smoke is a symptom of being too rich or something bad in the ignition system. But my VAF was also bad so that might have caused a part of it, although it didn't smoke with a KL31 chip and the bad VAF.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mad Cow wrote:Black smoke is a symptom of being too rich or something bad in the ignition system. But my VAF was also bad so that might have caused a part of it, although it didn't smoke with a KL31 chip and the bad VAF.
When I ran my ZE with a K8 ECU/JE50 for a few days, it was stupid rich.
Mnemonic wrote:And if i said it once I'll say it again, different VRIS settings plays a very very very, very very very, very very very limited roll in your over all performance, i've tried every single vris setting from every single K series engine that i could possibly find, and the dyno numbers were off no more than 5whp in either direction (which with that small of a margin the numbers are really the same). All pulls were done under the same condition, with NO VRIS being the control. The only visible difference is a slight shift in power. In any of the settings the difference wasn't great enough to make any real difference in performance.
Yes and no. In terms of peak power, maybe, but in terms of putting the power to the ground, if you have a wider band of a higher output, you'll be quicker on the street or strip. I think Deimos's dyno shows that very well when he dyno'd with a Probinator the second time. The VRIS points were obvious and looks like his average power output was significantly higher. He did add more mods like a CAI, exhaust and a Fidenza, but if you even the max output, you'll see it's smoother with less dips in power

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

OK the problem remerges.

Today I was driving and I was getting above 3k RPMs and the car starts sputtering again. It sputters until it dies.

New spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, cap, timing

I hope I can figure something out tomorrow
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

have you checked the the JE50? maybe it is bad? what about the fuel filter - is it clogged?
FlyingPotatoes

Post by FlyingPotatoes »

That's weird you guys were able to drive around normally with K8 ecu/vaf... my car was basically undriveable. There was a black sooty puddle under the tailpipe every time i ran it in the garage (condensation and carbon).

Swapping in the new ecu/vaf made a night and day difference. If anything I'm a little lean now.

Juan, what do your plugs look like? Hook up a timing light and see if you are still getting spark when it stutters.

Smells like disty to me.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Mad Cow wrote:Black smoke is a symptom of being too rich or something bad in the ignition system. But my VAF was also bad so that might have caused a part of it, although it didn't smoke with a KL31 chip and the bad VAF.
When I ran my ZE with a K8 ECU/JE50 for a few days, it was stupid rich.
Mnemonic wrote:And if i said it once I'll say it again, different VRIS settings plays a very very very, very very very, very very very limited roll in your over all performance, i've tried every single vris setting from every single K series engine that i could possibly find, and the dyno numbers were off no more than 5whp in either direction (which with that small of a margin the numbers are really the same). All pulls were done under the same condition, with NO VRIS being the control. The only visible difference is a slight shift in power. In any of the settings the difference wasn't great enough to make any real difference in performance.
Yes and no. In terms of peak power, maybe, but in terms of putting the power to the ground, if you have a wider band of a higher output, you'll be quicker on the street or strip. I think Deimos's dyno shows that very well when he dyno'd with a Probinator the second time. The VRIS points were obvious and looks like his average power output was significantly higher. He did add more mods like a CAI, exhaust and a Fidenza, but if you even the max output, you'll see it's smoother with less dips in power

That increase isn't significant enough to warrant the statement 100% true, it is a probinator chip which I believe has an adjust fuel map to "make more power". Vris is simply a nice way to shift where the power is on the curve. And if that is a probinator chip he needs to send it back lol, I made more power with a kl31, cai, pacesetter catback and fidanza and my home made vris controllers. Basically the same bolt ons as him. lol probinator adds more power HAH! Lies... Me thinks all these guys with probinators believe the butt dyno to much :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

well when the track opens up next spring I could take both ecu's to the track and see how it goes 8)

if we ever do a dyno day I could do the same thing as well and maybe finally have some concrete evidence.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”