Winters Here, you ready punk, well are Ya

Other - General Mazda Discussions
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Winters Here, you ready punk, well are Ya

Post by Ryan »

Personally...

I understand rear lock up causes complete loss of control, but with ABS, lockup is not so much of an issue.

I would rather be able to steer than stop. Even then, auto manufacturers foreward bais brakes to avoiod premature rear lockup... maybe not to the degree required in snow, but I think 4 wheel ABS solves the issue. Although 4 is best, I would advice 2 up front on ABS vehicles. Just pretend your rear is on skis, and then you should be okay...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Daninski wrote:Ok for starters, lubricate those door latches and locks with LPS 2 of some similar product. WD40 won't cut it. Antifreeze good, better check. Window wash fluid and wipers good? How about a heavy wool blanket in case you break down and have to sit and wait for a while or get in accident and have to wait for help. Disposable camera or cell phone to take pics of the accident cuz the Pr*ck that just slammed into you won't admit it's their fault. Oil change, 5w30. Winter floor mats. Car heavily undercoated, by Rust check or whoever. Brakes checked, nothing worse than one brake comming on and locking and into a tree you go or sliding down the street forever cus your brakes suck. Exhaust, no leaks. Finally, Slow Down Ya Basta*ds. :) Happy Motoring
Lubed the doors and locks - nope
Antifreeze - Check
Washer Fluid - Need to change over to the RainX stuff & get the wipes for the windshield
Wipers - Need to pick those up too. Still nee to decide on what type to get
Wool Blanket - Need to find it. I think it's in the camping stuff
Camera - Cell phone has one, but I usually always carry my 7.1mp Canon with me everywhere.
Oil Change - Due next time I'm home
Brakes - New when I got the truck in spring
Exhaust - Just a rattling driver side cat heatshield
Winter Floor Mats - Check. Had to get them off of eBay since Nissan apparently can't get floor mats for a 4-6year old truck anymore!
Undercoated - Parents took care of that for me Monday
Winter tires - Oh hells ya! http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 2_5352.jpg

Ya, winter tires on the rear only are what I suggest, but on the rear, you have to deal with understeer, on the front, oversteer....you really can't win. However, I used the ebrake to comprensate for understeer in the winter. With a RWD truck, my driving style will have to change this year. My sister's rear tires on her car had some unusual inner camber wear that we can't explain. Her was was totally stock, and her tires were rotated about 2 months prior. If there was something wrong, they should of said something. More likely the lack of rear traction and all seasons cause her to loose control and just slide, not being able to get it back, but I know first hand how bad the rear of her car was. And it had ABS. She even spun out once on an on-ramp the previous winter. I'd rather have the rear stable, but in reality, just do you and everyone a favor and just get all 4, you won't regret it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Lubed the doors and locks - nope
Antifreeze - Friday, yup. Replaced thermostat as well.
Washer Fluid - Nope.
Wipers - They're growing three years strong... or three years not strong
Wool Blanket - :( No
Camera - Cellfone
Oil Change - Already using 5w30
Brakes - ALL brand new
Exhaust - Mine rattles too...
Winter Floor Mats - Uh... floor mats?
Undercoated - No
Winter tires - Kumho Ecsta SPT summer tires count?
Snow/Ice scraper - No

Chat-town winter weather forcast:
No snow, always cloudy and muggy, and highs above freezing.
No salt, no ice, but always feeling miserable.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

SuperK wrote: No snow, always cloudy and muggy, and highs above freezing.
No salt, no ice, but always feeling miserable.
:werd:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

any Recommendations for snow tires?

I live in PA so there are tons of hills, and some are very steep. All weather's just don't cut it in this weather...
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

my rear defrost doesnt work :crying:
and ive already gotten stuck trying to go up a hill..took me about 15-20 minutes and it consisted of spinning the tires enough that they melted the ice/snow and made contact with the pavement, while at the same time turning the wheel left, then goin right, basically doin the same thing bicyclist do when their going up a steep hill, they dont go straight up they go side to side up the hill...otherwise the mx3 is a blast in the snow..never been in a front wheel drive car thats so easy to drift :welder:

i prey on empty parking lots :freak:
ImageImageImageImage
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:any Recommendations for snow tires?

I live in PA so there are tons of hills, and some are very steep. All weather's just don't cut it in this weather...
Cheap ones that are awsome, Goodyear Nordic Winterac...had them on the 626 and have them on the Escape, awesome tires. I got Yokohama Geolander I/T for the Xterra, those should be awesomer!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

One thing I'm not ready for: Seasonal Affective Disorder. It sucks. I feel like I never really wake up. Until now, I've lived in sunshine; Arizona, and Hawai'i. I have a really hard time with the lack of sunshine :(
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

fowljesse wrote:One thing I'm not ready for: Seasonal Affective Disorder. It sucks. I feel like I never really wake up. Until now, I've lived in sunshine; Arizona, and Hawai'i. I have a really hard time with the lack of sunshine :(

I totally know what you mean. My bus to school is during sunrise. My bus home is during sunset. I spend all day inside. I have spurts of acute depression (my psychologist mother diagnosed me) and winter definately doesn't help.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

fowljesse wrote:One thing I'm not ready for: Seasonal Affective Disorder. It sucks. I feel like I never really wake up. Until now, I've lived in sunshine; Arizona, and Hawai'i. I have a really hard time with the lack of sunshine :(
Tell me about it. I'm constantly half asleep in winter, and every once in a while I just get depressed for a few days. I've lived in this kind of weather my whole life and I'm still not used to it.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

On the other hand... do ya figure we have a lesser chance of developing skin cancer? :confused2:

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

^-- :lol: ...I work nights, and sleep during the day...Always out at night...Sunshine, who needs it! give me the darkness :)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Tire salesmen will tell you to only buy 4 or if you have 2, just put them on the back because when you brake, if they were in the front, your car would slide around.

To my understanding, this is a LIE.

In physics, we did a number of braking tests - both front wheels, both back wheels and all 4 wheels, from both slowing down gradually to brake lock ups. Obviously the 4 wheel braking was the best...but what was interesting, when we locked up the rear brakes, the car slid around and did a 180. When we locked up the front brakes there was considerably less movement. Granted this was with a wooden block car model and not the real thing, but the principle applies the same. Brakes work better when the weight is behind them, not in front (ever wonder why 65% of our braking is done in front?). It all has to do with momentum.

Get 2 tires on your FWD car if you cant get 4. I've had it on a number of vehicles, and its well worth it if you cant afford the money for 4. The back end will fishtail a bit yes, but you will be safer than putting them on the back. That being said, drive safe in the snow.
Well not always true since I sell tire at my dealership here... we are not allowed to sell just 2 tires. Neither are some canadian tires... Due to the fact that some dumbass lady bought 2 winters and got into a nasty accident and sue canadian tire... so now they will only sell you 4. But what we say is it's MUCH better to stick with 4 all season then it is to get 2 winters. I know I tried this once and my 323 slid right around and I ended up facing a brand new Tahoe! Lucky it was stoped at a red light.

OR you can stick your MX3 in the garage till the summer and get a beater so we can save the dieing breed!!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I just drink more in the winter. Vitamin D suppliments may help. Any drug with pam at the end of the name is good too. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:any Recommendations for snow tires?

Cheap ones that are awsome, Goodyear Nordic Winterac...had them on the 626 and have them on the Escape, awesome tires. I got Yokohama Geolander I/T for the Xterra, those should be awesomer!
haha I forgot about this.. I ended getting an amazing deal (my boss helped me out) on some Winterforce tires. These things are really good.. they do the job and I have yet to have problems in the snow :D

Return to “General Mazda”