What's your speed @ 4K rpm?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
wytbishop

Re: What's your speed @ 4K rpm?

Post by wytbishop »

Yoda,

What model and year did the 0.69 %th come out of? I read it in here a long time ago, but I haven't been able to find that post for a long time and I've been looking.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mikitu

Post by Mikitu »

My gs does around 120kph @ 4000rpm.
Savin

Post by Savin »

wytbishop wrote:Yoda,

What model and year did the 0.69 %th come out of? I read it in here a long time ago, but I haven't been able to find that post for a long time and I've been looking.

I find it. took 2 seconds, lol. I searched .69 gear.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ar#p464385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

There is an even older thread about it that I was referring to. I actually posted in that thread. I didn't know Yoda had posted it again in there.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Savin

Post by Savin »

Oct. of '07 i think: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ns#p431889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yoda wrote:
nobodyhere671 wrote:i'm going to put in a kia trans, but i want a taller 5th gear for better gas mileage. i checked the protege forums and they said the 626 gear would work and that the protege dx would be even taller. but then someone said it didnt work. does anyone know what 5th can be swapped into the gseries trannny for sure?
I used the .67 5th gear set from an '80-81 626 with the 2L turbo. It is a complete bolt in for the G series MTX. Unfortunately this P/N# are no longer available in North America from Mazda since this parts are almost 30 years out of production. With the 4:11 final and the super overdrive 5th, I was turning around 2700-2750rpm at 130kmh. The only real problem I had was that I kept fouling plugs if I drove long distances in 5th.

There is a current production .68 ratio available in some markets outside of North America and Asia. Looking at them they appear that they will fit in a standard version of the G tranny although I have yet to take the time to test fit them.
Feb. of '06: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=trans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yoda wrote:It also has to do with keeping the the sweet spot within the rpm range and acceleration as well. Plus or minus 200-300rpms can make a big difference how the car performs. My car was fast with a -DE and 4.11 than the -ZE with 4.38. A lot of it has to do with the -DE making more torque at a lower rpm and different power curves. If it were the other way around the -ZE would be running closed to it's sweet spot on the power curve. Almost everyone that drag races a FWD Mazda seriously, is wishing for a 3.72 or a turbo friendly 3.42 final drive for the V-6.

Unfortunately there isn't as many options for the V-6 as the is for the 4 cylinders. At least with the 4 cyl you can convert to one version of the Ford MTX-75 that is compatible with the 323 (MX-3) chassis and shifter or to find a Toyo Kogyo G15-M tranny used in the 323's with the RF-T 2.0L. This tranny has a wider step between 1st and 2nd gear, 2nd to 3rd and a much taller 5th gear. (.68 vs. .80 in the G25-M) The final drive is a turbo friendly 3.41 and the one built after 2/2000 are much beefier than in the G25 used with the V-6, due to the amount of torque these engines make fron 2000rpm and up. If guys like Dave Lauzier, Sean Matthews and others had this tranny 8 or 9 years ago import drag racing would have a different look today.

If the only concern was gas milage then it would be easier to just swap the 5th gear set from the .80 found with the V-6 to the .68 gear set found in the older 2.0L (FE) 626 or a BJ 323 with the RF-T
So...an 80-81 626 2.0L turbo. I hope that helps.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

This is why I asked. I knew that he took those gears from a turbo car for their added strength, but according to Wikipedia, there was no turbo version of the 2.0L FE until 86'. So I wanted to try to confirm that with him. I imagine the earlier cars may have had compatible gears, but the engine in the 79' - 82' 626 was only rated at 75hp so likely had a totally different transmission.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I wrote a PM to him several months ago, offering $$ for a complete list of obscure upgrades like this one. It's still in my outbox. Why hast thou forsaken us, oh wise one?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Ha. I JUST looked at the previous page, and there he is :lol:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I'm still around but seldomly log on in the past year or so. For what ever reason I don't get the pop-up window notifying me for a PM on my primary computer so I may only notice that there is a PM several months later when I am on another computer.

I just recently discovered that the 0.6X 5th gear ratio is all the same P/N# whether it be published as .67, .68 or .69. If you actually count the number of teeth on the gears it works ont to be between .68 and .69 and would assume that the .67 is the same gears because there is no combination of teeth that would work out to the ratio without changing tooth pitch and or shaft C/C spacing.

I my previous posting I made an error as to the year of 626/ Capella the gear I used were listed for. It should have been a '83 to '86 as this was the 1gen FWD models. For the most part the gear set was used mostly with the 2.0L FE (T) SOHC and all the RF/ RF-T/ RF-TDI diesel engines from the '83 626 and that are still used today in the Mazda 6 in Europe only just that the Diesel have a 3.454 final drive. The reason for the taller gearing with the diesel and even the older 8V SOHC is that make more Torque and low RPM which would chew up the gear in MTX geared for a DOHC, much like when you turbo charge an engine, because of the torque multiplication. A couple years ago I had 2 1/2 of these (post 02/2002) diesel G serie trannies shipped to the office in the bottom of a commercial shipment of used machine parts from Portugal to built myself a H.D. tranny (with spares) so I would have to keep worrying about Syncros and sheared teeth.
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

my speed @ 4k is 80-81 mph running 93 special edition tranny, and 235-40-17 tires still almost the same with the 205-55-15 i was running with
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

4k = 120 kmh - mx3 trans. 205/40/17, revs slightly higher maybe 200 - 300? rpm difference with my stock wheels 205/55/15.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!

Return to “Transmissions”