Drain all coolant to replace coolant temperature sensor?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mudflap13

Re: Drain all coolant to replace coolant temperature sensor?

Post by mudflap13 »

i think so tho not 100% will look into it tho
LIFE IS A SEXUALLY TRANSMITED, TERMINAL, DESIESE. AND WE ALL SUFFER FROM IT.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

The DOHC only has 2 temp sensors - one for the gauge and one for the ECU. The ECU controls the fan. And they are both located near the thermostat.
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

Well I found the sensor you were talking about on the left side of the intake, by injector #1, the question is how the hell do you get to it?! ;)

I looks like I am going to have to remove the injectors and the fuel rail just to get in there, but was trying to avoid that. I've never done anything like that before and don't want to make things worse.

How did you replace it mudflap? Also once you were able to get the harness off of the sensor, what socket did you use to unscrew the sensor from the manifold?
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

Well I got it off finally and replaced it and so far so good! :D

After much cussing this morning and after breaking off the tiny plastic clips edges on the sensor harness, I went back to the web for about an hour and did some more searching. I found over on clubprotege forums that the sensor harness has a little retaining wire going around it on some of the 1.6L B6's.

I go back outside and look again, sure enough, under some dirt, there it is, I got out a very long and thin screw driver and was able to pry the wire off. Once I did that the sensor harness slid right off.

Went to Advance and they told me flat out that WT5000 was the wrong sensor and they wouldn't sell it to me. So I said fine, I went to autozone and got their equivalent (SU415 I think). Took the old sensor out, put the new one in ( it takes a 3/4 inch socket by the way ), it fired right up, took it for a long hard spin around the town and so far so good. The car starts each time after I let it sit. Also what is weird is that the classic 1.6L B6 idle problem, where it dips when you are at a stop light or stop sign, almost feels like it is going to die and then comes back, is now also gone.

I'm going to keep an eye on it and will psot back if I get any more error codes or problems. Thanks again everyone for all of your help! :)
mudflap13

Post by mudflap13 »

thats good to hear man yeah the advance puter system sucks ( i know from experence auto zones better but there parts arent as good as some things mostly as far as warranties and such ) and there still transitioning there part numbers from GP sorenson to all BWD as BWD bought gp u just have to know what your looking for and the pictures <they help alot> oh and was the guy wearing a red shirt or a red black and white shirt i was a red white and black shirt ase certifird and parts pro lol plus it helps to be doing this since your were born and at 21 i was the youngest person in the history of the company to be a parts pro (so ive been told) lol

but im glad it worked out for u sorry i fergot to mention the clip thing mine just disintegrated from the base up pig tail and all and it still has a resitor from that alarm clock inbetween the clips and it was 19mm 3/4 is prettyclose to the same size just a few thou bigger no biggie it works but i spent all day at they junkers mainy for a ney pig tail for the sensor went ahead and grabed the sensor too if it tests fine ill use it if not ill pick one up got it off a dohc were u able to get it off without takin the rail off or did u use a swivel
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

Once I had the wire off the sensor harness I was able to get in there alot better and did not need to remove the fuel rail. I had to end up going out and buying a semi deep well 3/4" socket, since my deep well socket that I had was too long. It was a bugger to get off since the space they gave you to work in is very limited.

She runs like a champ now though.

Thanks again!
mudflap13

Post by mudflap13 »

cool glad to hear i got mine replaced today had to bowwow a semi deep socket then replaced the plug and racin to beat the rain i sodered and heatshrinked the wires backwards lol :shrug: it works still that was this morning thent i spent the rest of the day makin an adapter and cold ari intake for my conical air filter from scratch, i wont speend 300 bucks on one when i can make it out of scraps layin round my shop lol, for the MAFs my tig weldin skills were a bit rusty but came out good enough ttyl
trife86
antispam: No

Post by trife86 »

Any suggestions how to get this plug out without removing the fuel rail? I dont know how to get the clip off without breaking it
Hadrien

Post by Hadrien »

There is a small wire bent around the entire outside of the plug that goes onto the sensor. You need to get in there with either a really thin flat blade screwdriver or a dentists pick to remove that wire from around the plug. There is a groove in the plug that the wire sits in.

Really get a good look at the plug first and you will see what I am talking about. Clean it off with a damp rag if it is dirty and grab a bright flashlight to shine in there.. The wire on mine was quite shiny and the plug was a light green color. Then you should be able to see the wire. Don't bend the wire so that it distorts, it is what keeps the plug from coming off of the sensor. Be really careful though as the plastic can be brittle and break easily.

Once you do that, the plug will come right off of the sensor. Then you can get in there with a deep welled socket carefully and an extension to remove the sensor. Installation is just the reverse, but I recommend putting the wire partially back on the plug before you place it back on the sensor. Getting that wire all the way around the plug can be a PITA if it's already on the sensor.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”