Marco's '95GS - Budget restoration, then LPG conversion?

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Marco's '95 GS KLZE - Black Beast

Post by Mooneggs »

I think you'll be happy with the kl31 cams... I am looking forward to my new ze with those cams... I am tired of the slow kl01 cams :roll:
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Yea I've always secretly wanted them in there, can't wait to try them out :) I think you'll be happy with a ZE on a k8 gearbox too ;)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

marcdh wrote:I think you'll be happy with a ZE on a k8 gearbox too ;)
oh yes indeed! I am so excited about my new fast car 8)
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

After installing my kl31s I noticed my front cam seal was leaking, needless to say I wasn't impressed. I thought it was just because I reused the seal. I took it all apart AGAIN :evil:

I then rediscovered something I'd hoped wouldn't matter. My exhaust cam had scoring damage from being poorly handled in transit :( So I think these scores are shredding away at the cam seal, causing it to leak.

I've highlighted the contact points. Don't worry about the damage below the seal line, that was because the previous owner starved it of oil causing the cam cap to weld a bit...they've worn into each other fine now.

Anyone got any suggestions?
I'm thinking of having them machined a little so the contact points are flat. The seal appears that it would allow for a little shaving... I'm not really aware of any technique to fill in slices like this for metal?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Cam profiling companies add material, then shave it down, so if necessary, you can send it to one of them. I'm surprised that they could do damage to such a hard metal. Are you sure it's from shipping?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I would say somebody hammered on that. As Jesse says, a good engine machine shop will weld it up and then machine it back to stock dimensions.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Yea it's definately from shipping, the sprocket/camgear was kicking the crap out of it in the box :( Everything I get posted here gets damaged! So far:
2 OEM bonnets - trashed on every corner, chipped all around
1 carbon fiber bonnet - folded on one corner (protected with heavy card and 4 layers of bubble wrap)
Your beautiful visors Jesse - about 3 mm cracked off the wing mirror end (will round it off with dremel - will still look sexy :))
2 of my brothers subwoofers - magnets cracked off back

the list goes on :lol:

That's very true about the cam grinders, you give me hope :D
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I just read this ^ as I treid to send the following message. :rant2: I could send you another, and pack it even better.

That would suck to have to have the cams fixed, because it would be the same as sending DE cams, and having them reprofile them.
But hopefully, it'll be cheaper.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Too bad about that cam issue. Damage like that shouldn't happen. There should be a min max diameter, you'd need to check that out with a machine shop. I think polishing just that area would cause a flat spot with resulting leaks. As far as your engine mounts go if you find it a little too rough my plan was to drill two holes through the filler material to releave a little of the ridgidity within the mount. Keep up the excellant work and good luck.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Well I'll try fixing up these visors first, it's pretty minor really, but thanks :)

I know, I'm having seriously bad luck with this engine atm. I got these cam because one from the last set had a crack :evil: Time for some luck please!

Maybe I'd be cheaper buying superKs kl31s than that machine work, it's so dear over here...12 cams later :lol: Guess I'll have to get a quote and take it from there. Thanks for help guys, much appreciated as always :)
View Worklog
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It wouldn't be a cam regrind. They should be able to fix just that portion of the shaft.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Before and after :D

Had it "metal sprayed" and grinded back down to spec. So far so good, no leaking oil yet, but it hasn't seen alot of action yet. Also 'clayed' the paint today, amazing how much sticky/tough grime it lifts off! Machine work was £58 :o But it was done in a day, cheaper than more cams and it was a good job.
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Congrats, man! I'm glad someone finally benefitted from my advice :lol:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Spray Welding FTW!!!
My Worklog
My feedback thread
marcdh

Re: Marco's '95 GS KLZE - Black Beast AKA Sooty

Post by marcdh »

and thus the beast hit the roads... :D ZE is so much fun, was spinning all the way to 60mph then thankfully my new alloys and tyres arrived. Now it's pulling great! Can't wait to get to a 1/4 mile strip.

Here's a photo I grabbed at lunchtime.

Bigger and Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcography/3020250080/

Loving my new Rotas and Toyo Proxes T1Rs which are mega grippy so far. I smoothed in my front lip to the bumper too. My CF bonnet needs pins to even the front out. I also passed annual inspection /MOT first time :D Let the good times roll...

Next is finish wiring megasquirt and possibly move over my supra style spoiler, I miss it...
View Worklog

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”