[STICKY] How to rebuild a hydraulic tensioner for under $10

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdanut08

Re: [STICKY] How to rebuild a hydraulic tensioner for under $10

Post by mazdanut08 »

whats the hell cams are you runnin Juan kl36????
Haha, Ive noticed this aswell. I just didnt say anything.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

"How did you do that?
You should do a write up."

It was too easy for a write up. :wink: I didn't think about it. I'll try to remember, though. I just used a hydraulic ram with some washers, and such, to make sure I was pressing on the outside if the bearing race, and not putting pressure on the bearings themselves. I got some high quality sealed bearings at a very good local parts store (6006 seems to pop into my cloudy cranium), and pressed them in the same way. You could use a C-clamp to press them, if needed. I wish I knew about the tensioner mod then!
When I mention stretching, I'm assuming hundredths of an inch.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

fieromx3 wrote:the original way possted on pt juan is u get a shorter bolt and tap the bottom and thread the bolt in through bottom and pushes the ORIGINAL hydralic arm up not a bolt through the hole dam thing... thats how mines done and been done for like 1.5 months

Thats another way to make a manual tensioner

I havent modified mine yet
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”