Balljoint Replacement

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Balljoint Replacement

Post by SuperK »

mooneggs, did you do your balljoints yet?

I can only say this: use a torch!

I ended up unable to replace my tie rod :( because I didn't have one, I PBlaster'ed that sucker for a week, every morning and it didn't do anything. I had the same issue with my CV axle and had it taken in and fixed. I was told a torch makes it come out like butter.

I don't think it's possible for anyone else's car to be as bad as mine was, though.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

no I was looking at them again yesterday when I was fixing the control arms... both my balljoints are popping on the slow car... what does this mean? when will they fail?? :o

AUGH I just dont' want to deal with them... I may just take it to a shop and let them figure it out LOL
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Holy crap you guys... its not that hard at all....? but my car only has 180k KM on it maybe thats why.

That nut on the spindle holding in the ball joint shouldn't be that hard to take out all its doing is sitting there. The stud of the ball joint is just sitting in there, it has a groove in it for the bolt to go across it to hold it in. that bolt shouldn't be tightened that much. ahh its kinda hard to explain.

AND for the TIE-ROD end that most people are getting mistaking that we are talking about is very easy if you have a torch, i mean you shouldn't even attempt it without a torch... its just not possible. Take and heat up that bold and it should come rolling off with a pair of vice grip's. DO NOT ATTEMPT IT WITHOUT A TORCH!
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Smith18 wrote:Holy crap you guys... its not that hard at all....? but my car only has 180k KM on it maybe thats why.

That nut on the spindle holding in the ball joint shouldn't be that hard to take out all its doing is sitting there. The stud of the ball joint is just sitting in there, it has a groove in it for the bolt to go across it to hold it in. that bolt shouldn't be tightened that much. ahh its kinda hard to explain.

AND for the TIE-ROD end that most people are getting mistaking that we are talking about is very easy if you have a torch, i mean you shouldn't even attempt it without a torch... its just not possible. Take and heat up that bold and it should come rolling off with a pair of vice grip's. DO NOT ATTEMPT IT WITHOUT A TORCH!
Nobody is mistaking a tie rod end for a ball joint. We've been talking about balljoints since I started this thread. No mention of tie-rod ends, except from yourself.
The balljoint is held in the spindle by a grade 10 bolt, that can be very difficult to remove. There's no if's and's or but's about it. If I had difficulty removing it, then it was difficult for me to remove. I am not incompetent, and have a full shop with compressor, impact gun, and any other tool to make the job go smoothly.

The point is. Balljoints are very easy to change. The 1 bolt of the three that goes through the spindle can just be a bit$h, that's all.

I repeat, nobody is referring to tie-rod ends here. I don't know why you keep saying that.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

haha OMG!@ im so sorry, all this time i thought some of you guys were talking about tie-rods! hahaha

MY BAD! wow

Sorry if i came off rude but i was just getting pissed off that i thought i seen some people talking about tie-rod's haha
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

No worries. I was just confused as to why you kept mentioning tie-rod ends. Clearly you know what you're talking about. I think we were all reading the same book, but maybe you forgot to turn the page. :wink:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”