what style disks are the best

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

slotted rotors can actually be a good thing.
Got a friend with a tuned Miata, and his pads got glased more with blank discs than with slotted.

So slotted discs can have an impact :)

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

nope-mx3 wrote:slotted rotors can actually be a good thing.
Got a friend with a tuned Miata, and his pads got glased more with blank discs than with slotted.

-n
glazed pads or warped rotors are caused by going over the temperature range the pads were meant to be used in. If you overheat pads or rotors the brake dust fuses back to the pad or on the rotor causing it to be uneven and wear unevenly. by buying pads to fit the type of driving you do is important. buying wrong pads will get u wrong results.

slotted rotors can be a good thing.... say on super cars with gigantic rotors. lightening the rotor may actually help the car slow down due to less rotational mass but its a gamble between more heat sink and lighter rotational weight. the brake rotor with holes, dimples or slots will be weaker because thats the way physics works
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Steeb wrote:
nope-mx3 wrote:slotted rotors can actually be a good thing.

-n
glazed pads or warped rotors are caused by going over the temperature range the pads were meant to be used in. If you overheat pads or rotors the brake dust fuses back to the pad or on the rotor causing it to be uneven and wear unevenly. by buying pads to fit the type of driving you do is important. buying wrong pads will get u wrong results.

slotted rotors can be a good thing.... say on super cars with gigantic rotors. lightening the rotor may actually help the car slow down due to less rotational mass but its a gamble between more heat sink and lighter rotational weight. the brake rotor with holes, dimples or slots will be weaker because thats the way physics works
He actually outruns supercars on the track :)
Hehehe, but I see your points.

For the average Mx3:er, blank discs and _good_ pads (Porterfield R4S for instance) is very nice.

-n
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Hot Darn, I was about to ask about the Porterfields. I'm fading pretty good with my current pads and need something new. The Akebono's (sp?)just aren't cutting it. They say for light track day use, but I'm good at attacking the corners and glass them after a couple of laps. Most of the MOCA peeps use Hawk, but they don't have a rear pad. I thought about EBC yellows on the front and green on the rear (since they don't make a yellow for our rears), but I've heard bad things about EBC- namely that the pads do not opperate the temps they claim to. Porterfield is the only place that manufacturers a race pad for both.
Do you use Porter's Nope? What do you think about them, street and track use? If so what have you used them on- street, track (long straights with heavy corners?), auto-x?
I'll prob use the R4, not the Ss since the Mx is mainly a track car now.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I use the Porterfield R4S front and Rear.
I think they work very nice.

I might even try the R4 pads next time.

-n
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Why would you want to use larger rotors? Especially if the pads don't take advantage of the extra surface, as well your adding more rotational mass to the wheels
More surface area = better heat disipation. Thats the purpose for cross-drilled and slottled for those who dont know.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I thought the point of cross-drilling and slotting was mainly to shave off weight and allow gasses to escape faster when using old-school organic pads, which aren't used anymore.

Usually only vented rotors provide better heat dissipation.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Whisper wrote:I thought the point of cross-drilling and slotting was mainly to shave off weight and allow gasses to escape faster when using old-school organic pads, which aren't used anymore.

Usually only vented rotors provide better heat dissipation.
That may be somewhat correct, but on any metal surface, increase its surface area and you have better heat dissipation.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Not always.

Here's a good read on rotors.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=50
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

*sighs* this has all been discussed before...

here's a very well written informative thread...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=45632

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”