FROM EXPERIENCE.. best ECU for KLZE swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Mooneggs wrote:so are you saying that I have the wrong ECU? what are people who have kl-01 cams supposed to do LOL???! :crying:

my vris kicks in at around 4400 then again around 5500 and man does it KICK - so is my theory correct based on those facts?!!! :lol:
It's not about the cams, but it's a problem with anyone, either 01 or 31 cams, who is using the curved-neck intake manifold. The VRIS points are configured accorind to the IM, not the cams, I'm farily sure, but it could be true that the cams are taken into consideration because of the fact that they would have the 31 cams with the straight neck. People have been runing 31/36 ECU's on ZE'd with 01 cam'd Mx-3's for years. Not to say you wont run right or fast, oh and she'll still kick, it's just that it's not configured 100% according to what the ECU is setup for. That's the reason why some people are obsessed with getting 31 cam'd straight neck in Mx-3's...Although you can get a Probinator ECU configured for your, or any, setup, what will actually usually yeild more gains above that is a megasquirt system
He's right, the kl31/36 will not supply proper vris points for any curve neck, and your actually not getting all your power (dyno proven), as your vris is kicking in at the wrong time since you have the wrong points.

I fixed this issue with mine by making my own vris controllers, by using 2 msd digital window switches. which allows me to play around with the settings to see what the best points are. Vris has alot of cool little tricks you can do to shift power, and yes even help your fuel efficency out more (3+ mpg on a ZE). Is it worht spending the money to do this? Only if you can justify about 120 dollars for a few ponies a lil more torque and if you feel like playing with your settings around 3mpg fuel, if you cant, then keep your stock setup, as your not missing out on that much.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I always wondered why everybody was trying so hard to put the straight necks in the mx-3, with this ECU info it makes sense... I still have my straight neck...

this has been very informative... now if I can only get Barry to sell me his actual VRIS controller heheh :mrgreen:
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

The best setup I've driven is my Probinator ECU from Probetalk.com with our stock VAF. The next best setup I had was the Probe GT/MX-6 VAF and ECU combo. Very smooth setup but loses alittle up top where the Probinator ECU loses nothing up top.
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

So basically Either JE50/kl02 vaf and matching ecu WITH the proper chip to match you INTAKE manifold and not you cams.....

Done now every one knows the best route.....

Now someone find me a viable option for my 96 OBDII pos ze abortion in progress :)

EDIT

Why dont we post this as a stickie up top? rename it KLZE ecu/vaf combo's....

Maybe that will stop alot of people from asking the same question over and over again.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Illa Killa wrote:The best setup I've driven is my Probinator ECU from Probetalk.com with our stock VAF. The next best setup I had was the Probe GT/MX-6 VAF and ECU combo. Very smooth setup but loses alittle up top where the Probinator ECU loses nothing up top.
Ya, I've heard similar. Some of the other TO Mx-3 guys have tried the DE ECU/VAF combo and pulled the plugs. You can tellb y the plugs that the DE combo runs rich, while on the KL36 ECU, the plugs are white from runing lean.

I have a Probinator ECU now (chipped a K8 ECU i got off of eay for $15, coudn't on my stock one since mine's an early '92, different PCB so you cant). Although I find the Pobinator ECU does feel better, especially up top past 6k where is felt like it died with my KL36, but the Probinator is noticably less fuel efficient. I want to do soem drag runs on the Probinator very soon (despite my finiky trans), but I think i'll be holding on to my KL36 ECU for a while, especially for my next emissions test.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

ok now I am interested in getting this probinator chip... I still have my k8 ECU...and I'm not worried about gas mileage in the fast car anyways :D

maybe this has been covered but is there a direct link to where I can buy this and can I do this mod myself? Is there a tutorial?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mooneggs wrote:ok now I am interested in getting this probinator chip... I still have my k8 ECU...and I'm not worried about gas mileage in the fast car anyways :D

maybe this has been covered but is there a direct link to where I can buy this and can I do this mod myself? Is there a tutorial?
Before you do, open your K8 ECU, if the top layer PCB (the one you see as soon as you take off the cover) is full size, the Probinator won't work, if the PCB is about 2/3 length, than it will.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Mooneggs wrote:ok now I am interested in getting this probinator chip... I still have my k8 ECU...and I'm not worried about gas mileage in the fast car anyways :D

Before you do, open your K8 ECU, if the top layer PCB (the one you see as soon as you take off the cover) is full size, the Probinator won't work, if the PCB is about 2/3 length, than it will.
or if you open it up, the oem eprom has a sticker with a number, give that number to probinator. He will tell you if it can be chipped or not!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”