My car still misfire after HEI and Blaster coil mod

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
buttyao

Post by buttyao »

I meant the inner strap for the original hei, even if you remove the G wire.. it still interferes. Disable the ignitor from the inside of your disty.
I did it, it was alright on Thursday(a lot of less than 20 mins short trips). But it dies twice on Friday and once On Sat. I didn't drive it even since then. It seems that the car would die after 10-20min from cold start, and would be fine after that... and If I gently knock at the disty when it dies, it would come back to alive quicker it seems...

Mnemonic, I will correct the timing, but one simple question, would the timing cause misfire??
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

The ignition system has to work with the rest of the engine a specific sequence. the main objective is to ignite the fuel at a specific time. If the ignition system fires at the wrong time, power can decrease and fuel consumption can increase.

In most engines the plug fires before the piston reaches top dead center, when the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder burns,its converted into exhaust gas, which is the pressure that actually pumps the pistons and rods which turns your crank which spins the flywheel and this is what gives us our power.

In order to get the most torque and power from the engine, the goal is to maximize the pressure in the cylinder during the power stroke. Maximizing pressure will also produce the best engine efficiency, which translates directly into better mileage. The timing of the spark is critical to success.

There is a small delay from the time of the spark to the time when the fuel/air mixture is all burning and the pressure in the cylinder reaches its maximum. If the spark occurs right when the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke, the piston will have already moved down part of the way into its power stroke before the gases in the cylinder have reached their highest pressures.

To make the best use of the fuel, the spark should occur before the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke, so by the time the piston starts down into its power stroke the pressures are high enough to start producing useful work.

Work = Force * Distance

In a cylinder:

* Force = Pressure * Area of the piston
* Distance = Stroke length

So when we're talking about a cylinder, work = pressure * piston area * stroke length. And because the length of the stroke and the area of the piston are fixed, the only way to maximize work is by increasing pressure.

The timing of the spark is important, and the timing can either be advanced or retarded depending on conditions.

The time that the fuel takes to burn is roughly constant. But the speed of the pistons increases as the engine speed increases. This means that the faster the engine goes, the earlier the spark has to occur. This is called spark advance: The faster the engine speed, the more advance is required.

So Yes it can cause a missfire
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
buttyao

Post by buttyao »

Mnemonic, thanks for your detailed reply. Just curious if it was the timing caused it to misfire, would ecu stop giving instuction to the ignitor to fire and give code like 02, 03 or 04?

Just to update that it died 3-4 times yesterday (in a short trip and raining), I checked the Crank Angle Sensor, I was within the spec. So it seems the problem is only the Camshaft sensor inside the disty?? which I can only replace the disty?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

correct, if the sensor in the disty goes out, you have to replace the entire distributor.

Pat and I took my disty apart when we did the hei/blaster mod, and i dont think from what i saw that swapping that sensor out is going to be and easy job, and even still i dont think you can just buy that sensor.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”