Car dies when hot

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
xtreme velocity

Post by xtreme velocity »

yeah..i never had 2 problem till i went on vacation for 2 weeks..i thin it is bad gas..but still..
Current:
93 F-250 Diesel Coal Roller (For Sale)
06 RX-8 1.3 Rotary AT 6 speed (All looks)
79 Ford Courier 2.3 4cyl 5 speed (lil Pete)

Past:
05 Mazda RX-8 1.3 Rotary MT 6 speed
90 Mazda Miata 1.6L 5 speed 45k miles
94 MX-3 RS DOHC 5 speed 90k miles
95_mx-3

Post by 95_mx-3 »

What a bummer... I failed TX inspection today. HC(??) was bit too high. 141 is normal at high speed which is 25mph, but I got 152. It was 199 before I fixed the problem though. Anyway, I'll see what my mechanic can do tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

HC is usually showing how much oil is burning with your fuel. Check your spark plug gaps and make sure they are in spec. A catalytic converter that isnt functioning at full efficiency can also cause HC to read high (the cat isnt burning off all the bad stuff).

HC = Hydrocarbons

Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
95_mx-3

Post by 95_mx-3 »

Tunes67 wrote:HC is usually showing how much oil is burning with your fuel. Check your spark plug gaps and make sure they are in spec. A catalytic converter that isnt functioning at full efficiency can also cause HC to read high (the cat isnt burning off all the bad stuff).

HC = Hydrocarbons

Cheers

Tunes67
Tunes67,
Again thanks for your help. I just bought a cat from Autozone. It was $89 plus tax w/lifetime warranty. I'll put it on tomorrow and see what happens. Besides that my car runs like new now.
95_mx-3

Post by 95_mx-3 »

Went to muffler shop and paid $45 to install(weld) new cat. Went right back to inspection place and guess what... HC reading was 11. Yeah, it was a bad cat. I think I'm finally done with all the problems with MX-3.
BTW, my mechanic put synthetic oil without asking me and oil burning problem is gone too. I've driven over 500miles since the oil change, but oil level is still the same... So lifter doesn't make ticking noise in the morning anymore.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”