Rattling Shifter... annoying vibration.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rebel_princess_lynz

Post by rebel_princess_lynz »

well you'll all be pleased to know that i did it!!! the back one was a lil harder, needed some convincing, but my shifter is like new again. it goes into reverse like a dream *drools at how awesome i am* anyways, thanks again -lynz
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

Ahh gives me hope... :)

I feel like a putz... been too busy (read lazy) to pick up the bushings and give 30 mins of my time to fix this most annoying of all problems.

rebel_princess_lynz: which bearings did you end up using and how much did they cost. The SRD ones look nice.. but im too strapped for cash to pay $40-50 CAD for a bushing.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
MPG: 21.5city/38hwy
rebel_princess_lynz

i just went to the mazda dealership in town and got bushings from them, they were like 3 bucks each. i didn't want to wait for nice ones to be shipped to me, but meh, these will do me just fine...should last for years!
zstadt

Post by zstadt »

Billyd wrote:I'm glad you asked this question since I am having same problem and this helped me. Mine really puts out a vibration and is VERY loose. I can have teh stick in whatever position and it just wobbles around like crazy.
Precisely. Me too.
*'93 MX-3*
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

rebel_princess_lynz: do you have the part numbers? and when you refer to "the back one" are you saying that mazda actually sold you the back bushing that SRD says they dont?
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

If you are refering to the 3rd link bushing mazda will NOT sell a replacment, they actually require that you replace the whole control arm, Bastards! :x
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
rebel_princess_lynz

nope, sorry, i was talking about how there is two sets of bushings. one set up front, and another a lil further back...that's all ;)
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

Leaving to Montreal tomorow. Will be putting 1300KM on my mx-3 before the week is over, so will be doing this tonight.

I dont think I could take 10 hours of driving with that rattle.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
breenmachine

Post by breenmachine »

So if I were to go to the dealership to buy the bushings, what would I be asking for? Also about that one they wont sell, will not replaceing that one but replacing the rest still probably get rid of that annoying rattle?
rebel_princess_lynz

just go into the parts counter and ask for new shifter bushings for your car. they had them in stock at my dealership. they'll give you a bag with 4 lil bushings in it. that's all folks....ohh yeah and make sure you have some rust check or wd-40 with ya, cuz it's rusty down there...you're gunna need it ;)
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

THanks Lynz,

Ran a bunch of errands on my lunch break.

Hit up the mazda dealership. 4 bushings and 2 bolts came out to $23 including tax.
92 MX-3 1.6L 4 Cyl SOHC
rebel_princess_lynz

very welcome! what are fellow mx-3 owners for...hehehe! good luck with the install!!
breenmachine

Post by breenmachine »

Alright so i bought the 4 bushings from the dealer... Why do they sell 4, i thought there was only one to replace? Is that just the minimum they sell? On the guide on that website that has pictures and how to replace them that guy only does one, is that all there is to it? I've never really done anything but change a tire before so I don't know exactly whats goin on but it doesn't seem that hard.
rebel_princess_lynz

there are 4 bushings to replace and 2 bolts, that's why...hehehe.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

hey guys i was looking at doing this on saturday, but i have a few questions. on the front bushings it seems ill need to take the catalitic converter out, the rusty bolts dont come out easy.... will i have to take it out?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”