Nd4SpdSe - 1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR (End Of File)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

nice work mike! alot about ur car i never knew about! i like it especially the painted engine parts looks so clean!
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

lol, ya, i have a startup sequence I follow as well ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, I started and almost completed my "Rx7-style" Euro-Stock Hybrid taillights. I just need to get new stock lenses cause the ones I have I cracked and broke trying to take them off the stock housings, and that's before I melted my other 2., although I think i figured it out. I have another set I'm picking up tonight. But so far, not bad, like I said their pretty much done.

Shades's old altezza taillights. They came with no lenses, which I didn't need ;) I painted then in Tremclad gloss black to make the black shine and stand out more.

I also de-lensed the individual light lenses, no point having double lenses.

After yesterday afternoon, I got one light complete.

And today I finished the second light

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

looks sweet man. so how much this cost u between all the broken lenses?

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

- $60 for the set of Altezza's from Slade
- Whatever the price of a can of Tremclad, like $10
- The spare set and the set of my car, nothing

Than pending what happens here. I bought 2 other sets of tails @ $40/each, so it depends if i get it right on the next try or not :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Did some autocrossing (SoloII) Sunday. It was my first time, my best time was 74seconds. I think the best of the say was around 60seconds. I forgot to check my time before I left, but i really, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to going again on the 12th, but that's pending on weather, and if I'm going back to Virginia that weekend.

(You can get a better idea of my rear taillight mod, looks better in these pics with the non-broken lenses.)

On the 3rd run, my rear battery came loose and bounced around, thank god it's a Optima. It was bungee'd down, and survived the Ottawa cruise no problem, but apparently SoloII is a little more violent that that, LOL. So today I did some cleaning back there. I had a stock battery tie-down i purchased for the rear battery about 2 years ago, but never installed it, so I put it in today. It's also encased in a plastic battery holder, just to make sure nothing touches the terminals, if it does manage to come loose.

Also, while I was in the trunk, I decided to so some adjusting on my rear strut bar. It's the corksport version so I can screw the mounts in to the bar to shorten or lenghten the bar, and it was farily loose. I turned each end a good 3-4 times, she was snug getting it back in there, and took a little convincing, which is what I wanted. Was thinking, maybe it would explain why I didn't notice a difference when I installed her, but I did on the front, but the front was a snug fit. Also during the SoloII day, I was marshalling with a guy who's been racing for a few years now,and has an older Civic. He highly recommends an LSD for autocrossing, so now I'm more anxious to get mine in, but that's in the "off-season" while she's stored for the winter. As much as i hate winter and that I can't drive her, I'm kinda anxious for it to come so I can get that stuff done. :)

Also got word that apparently my car's been targetted a few times in the last year by theives, apparently they have an eye in my LCD monitor. I'm not going to say how I know this, but word is it's a recent target again. Although I won't get a chance this week, and I'm going camping this long weekend, I've got a few more ideas I've been meaning to implement since last year, I think next week I'll be starting on those. What they are, well, that's for my to know, and for no one else to ;)

Since I got some nice pics, thanks to my girlfriend :), i decided to update my signature pic I use on other sites, but can't use here. So here's my old and new sig:

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Did the HEI modification yesterday and today. Unfortunately it decidd not only to happen while I was 2 hours away camping, but it wouldn't fire when I went to start the car to go home, just my luck :? Was kinda rushed to get the car runing yesterday. Although I did take my merry time and talked to my grandmother and was on the cell a few time, from start to finish it took less than 2 hours. I spend about a hour today making a bracket to mount and organise it and the wires.

Gro Harlem has a great How-To, but the link in the FAQ has changed, the new site is:
http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm
If you have a hard time acquiring the HEI module, ask for the ignition module for a 79 Caprice with the 350. I guess the USA guys get them cheap. Unfortuantely, the cheapest (aftermarket) I could find locally was $50. I got one for $55, cause the $50 would of cost me $5 in gas and 40 minutes of my time. GM themselves wanted $74 for it. If you have time, you can go find one at a wreckers (i know these module were in the Chevettes too) or online.

And i decided to make a nice clean diagram, Gro's was a little hard to follow.

(updated)

The car fired up first shot, also, it fires up much quicker than before, so there's definitely an improvement. The heatsink, that was a personal touch. The HEI module doesn't come with one. That's a computer heatsink, one of many types i had floating around. I cut her in half and stuck it with the thermal adheisive that was on the back. It was nice, made it look alot better, and it doesn't hurt to help it run cooler.

Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on August 10th, 2006, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: Image
Nice work -

Also, one thing not mentioned inthe faq - dont forget to disable the stock module - bad module in the circuit will still affect performance at random times.

Whats the black box held together by tape?
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ariesdude wrote: Also, one thing not mentioned inthe faq - dont forget to disable the stock module - bad module in the circuit will still affect performance at random times.
Hmm, I didn't know that nor how I need to do that. I'll see if i can find info on how to do that.

Edit: Wait, that's only if I'm using an external coil, no? Is that the clip inside the disty, or cutting the orange wire to the disty (after the splice)?
ariesdude wrote:Whats the black box held together by tape?
Actually, that a project box containing a relay for my radiator-fan-manual-override switch. I put it in a box to keep it away from the elements, but I haven't figured out a place to cleanly, yet. It's just taped there cause it's a place to hold it
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Well done with the HEI mod. Those tail lights look sweet dude.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

To disable the stock module - you either have to open the disty and remove the module or cut the orange wire "and the black wire" next to it. The black is the ground for the module - so a defective module can still short the stock/external coil to ground if you dont cut that as well.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, this past long weekend, we had a meet at Hutches in Hamilton alongn with a cruise down to join the cruise night on Lundy's Lane in Niagara Falls. While at the meet/BBQ, Krish (Kp2t) brought his compression tester. We pulled the plugs. They have about 30'000 on them, and they look good:

Also, the compression test shows interesting results:
1 - 220
2 - 195
3 - 215
4 - 205
5 - 210
6 - 220

As per the plugs and compression test, she looks healthy, which contradicts my earlier compression test.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No updates today. I'm working down in Virginia while the Mx-3 is stored at my grandmother's back in Ontario, hiding from the snow. Decided to post up a pic of my dyno while I have it hosted online.

wagZE

Post by wagZE »

very very nice, I like the electrical work. Also I like your HEI diagram.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wagZE wrote:very very nice, I like the electrical work. Also I like your HEI diagram.
Thx ;) Some of the electrical had been cleaned up since those pics.

Actually, there is an update. Last week I ordered some new pedals for he Mx-3. They used to be on eBay a few years ago but they disapeared. A few months ago I did some searching, took a few weeks but I tracked them down but I wasn't working, so I didn't purchase them, until last week, I finally (after a week) got my confirmed shipped e-mail friday, so it should be in this week (1-4 days shipping).

Here's a pic from the site and a link.
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/home_ ... ls&s=&mid=

As well, we were coming back frmo go-karting today and my buddy who owns a MazdaSpeed6 was talking about getting stainless scuffguards, so it got me thinking that they would go nicely with my pedals, so I just ordered them now from CorkSport

I'm contemplating (if it's possible) to get them powdercoated blue to match the rest of my accented interior, there's a place that where I'm working right now that gets their stuf done, my buddy wants to get his stock MSP6 rims done in black, so we have have to make a trip and enquire on that, but with ImportFest coming, it'll be nice to add some touch to the stock-ish interior :welder:

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”